download excel spreadsheet to my cache page

captnemo

Don't know if it's possible or not, but I would like to put an excel spreadsheet onto the cache page of a series of challenge caches I'm putting together.

The challenge requires the finder to have completed a number of tasks before they can log a find and I would like to include a spreadsheet on the cache page that would allow the finder to verify there sucess or not.

I have the spreadsheet in excel but do not know how to put it on my cache page!

Not being picky, but... Would this run afoul of the ban on forcing people to use specific software?

Many would not have Excel on their computers, or even wish to have it. There are online file compatible spreadsheets of course, but again that would be iffy in the rule department.

As I read your request, I interpret it that it would only be a checkoff list for individual use to keep track of their progress as they complete and mark off the requirement.

Could you simply supply that as a simple text file. With notes on column width, even a DOS or Windows text file would do, since it could be downloaded into any spreadsheet to make a file with the boxes/fields. Or just into a Word Processor and simply edited. The options there would be covered by most computer / software combinations around, even old ones. Just use what you have. Just a thought. Most of us would know how to import the simple text file and use it either way.

Edit: If you have to use the Excel stuff, how about just a .wks template for Excel users to make their own clean .wks? Don't know how that would help others though if not Excel compatible.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Not being picky, but... Would this run afoul of the ban on forcing people to use specific software?

Many would not have Excel on their computers, or even wish to have it. There are online file compatible spreadsheets of course, but again that would be iffy in the rule department.

As I read your request, I interpret it that it would only be a checkoff list for individual use to keep track of their progress as they complete and mark off the requirement.

Could you simply supply that as a simple text file. With notes on column width, even a DOS or Windows text file would do, since it could be downloaded into any spreadsheet to make a file with the boxes/fields. Or just into a Word Processor and simply edited. The options there would be covered by most computer / software combinations around, even old ones. Just use what you have. Just a thought. Most of us would know how to import the simple text file and use it either way.

Edit: If you have to use the Excel stuff, how about just a .wks template for Excel users to make their own clean .wks? Don't know how that would help others though if not Excel compatabable.

Doug 7rxc

I don't believe this run afoul of the guidelines as no one is forced to use Excel, nor would they be required to download anything I want to have the spreadsheet available for use on the listing. The information on the spreadsheet would be available to all and could be used without having Excel.

Using a text file wouldn't help as the information would not be interactive and I already have that in the text of the cache. I'm just trying to make it easy for a finder to verify.

Using a text file wouldn't help as the information would not be interactive and I already have that in the text of the cache.

Based on your comment about interactivity, it sounds to me like you want to embed an interactive spreadsheet right in the description. Unfortunately, the system can't do that. The best you'll be able to do is upload the spreadsheet to some other website, then put a link to it in your cache description.

I don't believe this run afoul of the guidelines as no one is forced to use Excel, nor would they be required to download anything I want to have the spreadsheet available for use on the listing. The information on the spreadsheet would be available to all and could be used without having Excel.

Using a text file wouldn't help as the information would not be interactive and I already have that in the text of the cache. I'm just trying to make it easy for a finder to verify.

Hi again... well I wasn't picking on it (idea). Just guessing on the implementation.

OKay, on that you would like it 'live'. I think that would require you to host it online somewhere. And then you would have to link to it somehow. Would this be keeping individual users to create their own files, or somehow collecting it in a single spreadsheet? Would that be viewable by everyone in that case, or somehow linked to the specific user name? I think either would be possible, but I'm not sure how it would be hosted online. I am pretty sure it wouldn't be on GS servers though... so that would be up to you to provide.

Perhaps that open Office thing or similar? I'm not sure why people couldn't just load the framework in text and then create their own version, I've done that part lots over the years. I'm not sure you want to discuss details here, but maybe on PM or email? I'm guessing something has to work with the results, not just a listing. In that case it would be how to get that going... and that is the part that is going over my head I guess... sorry about that, but we've been having a bit of concern with flooding etc up here the last few days and I'm tired and relaxing a bit thinking about something else...

At least your 'problem' is interesting to me. Even though my Excel went down with my main computer recently and I don't have access to it right now, but I'm fixing it (I hope). This tired laptop still doesn't have free space enought to load it again, but I could. Right now it sounds more like a logigstics problem than coding.

Just how big is the spreadsheet anyway, and / or the series?

Doug 7rxc

Not picking on you, and I do appreciate your desire to be helpful...BUT...

If I need or even would want to use a spreadsheet to see if I qualify for your challenge(s), wouldn't you be skirting dangerously close to:

4.15. Challenge Caches

A challenge cache needs to appeal to, and be attainable by, a reasonable number of geocachers. A challenge cache may not specifically exclude any segment of geocachers. If a geocacher is required to alter their caching style or habits, such as avoiding a particular cache type to attain a specific percentage or average, the cache will not be published.

The requirements for meeting the challenge should be succinct and easy to explain, follow, and document. A lengthy list of "rules" would be sufficient reason for a challenge cache to not be published.

Using a text file wouldn't help as the information would not be interactive and I already have that in the text of the cache.

Based on your comment about interactivity, it sounds to me like you want to embed an interactive spreadsheet right in the description. Unfortunately, the system can't do that. The best you'll be able to do is upload the spreadsheet to some other website, then put a link to it in your cache description.

yes I wanted an embeded interactive spreadsheet but I guess that's out. :sad:

Thanks to everyone who chiped in. The idea was born because in order to check if a finder had met the challenge, I put together a small spreadsheet so that "I" didn't have to do it by hand each time. I then got to thinking (yes I know, that's dangerous) that maybe I could help finders check out if they had met the challenge easier.

Oh well, life is hard but cahing is fun.