Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbine495

FoxCaches

Hi all,

I am thinking of a cache series called the FoxCaches. The rules are simple: you go to a specified spot with your GPSr, then you use a directional antenna (Yagi, loop, quad, or any other type) and a receiver to home in on the cache, which contains a little 2 meter solar-powered transmitter. The cache will contain items like electronic components, for radio enthusiasts to trade. Leave a reply if you like the idea.

Hi all,

I am thinking of a cache series called the FoxCaches. The rules are simple: you go to a specified spot with your GPSr, then you use a directional antenna (Yagi, loop, quad, or any other type) and a receiver to home in on the cache, which contains a little 2 meter solar-powered transmitter. The cache will contain items like electronic components, for radio enthusiasts to trade. Leave a reply if you like the idea.

I like the idea and I tried a similar idea a number of years ago. It was not approved because it would have limited the access to parts of the series to a specific group of cachers (amateur radio operators).

Hi all,

I like the idea. I have considered it too. you may want to consider using a transmitter anyone can receive with no special equipment. I was thinking about a low power FM radio transmitter, the ones you don't need a license for. I think it is under a watt or something, it has been awhile since I thought about it. That would let more people find it and possible take care of the problem N8OFP mentioned, Even though the premium caches limits caches to specific groups.... of course if it gets denied you can always try opencaching by garmin.

Greg

NM8B

you may want to consider using a transmitter anyone can receive with no special equipment. I was thinking about a low power FM radio transmitter, the ones you don't need a license for.

There are several items to keep in mind with this approach;

1) There are rules and regulations pertaining to the type of audio and duration on these low powered radios.

2) Most of these type of radios don't have provisions for external antennas and modifying these radios to accept modified antenna maybe against the FCC rules.

I did do a Geocache / Foxhunt event for a group of local hams who liked Foxhunts. The first two steps were small sandwich size Geocaches, the first cache had the cords for the second cache, the second cache had the frequency for the fox. All three steps were at different State Parks in our area. These parks were 10 to 15 miles apart from each other. All in all it turned out fun, and after everyone arrived we had a nice cookout...

There are attributes called the "Wireless Beacon" and "Special Tools Required". This solves the problem of the limited range of cachers. Plus, you can crank the difficulty up. You can put in one of those little car adapters that beam signals to the car radio via low-power FM. Attach a directional antenna to a pocket FM radio, and make the transmitter play a repeated message, like "This is the Anytown Hill FoxCache. Home in on this signal". Leave a reply if you like.

There are circuits available for low power tracking beacons for balloons. I would show one, but my main computer is down and I will have to find it again after many years so it might take a while. They are more related to animal tracking collar devices and not that expensive or high power or range. Will try to find one.

As for the restricted to "a specific group of cachers (amateur radio operators)". That part doesn't sound right to me based on current technology. Look at all the SCUBA or free diving caches, kayak caches, boating caches, climbing caches and so on. Heck they promote CHIRP caches, Wherigos, and so forth. Amateur Radio is equally available to everyone on the planet (aside from a very few places) who cares to do the training and obtain the gear. Take a look through the registry of Hams in this forum and see just how many of us ARE Hams now. Some have our calls as all or part of our usernames. 7rxc is just part of VE7RXC since I cache with a friend who is not.

It simply separates caching from Ham for my purposes (and was easier to turn into my avatar). I certainly don't expect all caches to be available to me, but for most of them I either am qualified to seek or was at some point in my past (age has made a few less possible, but some more so). So I say wait until it is rejected then appeal.

I just re read the OP while looking for that quoted line... One thing you can't get around is that Geocaches MUST involve the use of GPS to locate at least part of the cache. Make sure that you use that to get people within range of the beacon transmission, and make sure you have the Wireless BEACON attribute activated.

Never hurts to clearly indicate the nature of the beast in the cache description as well (what it requires).

The use of other commonly available receivers/transmitters is more than fair. Perhaps one of the FRS/GMRS frequencies that people have walkie talkies for (unlicenced)? or the empty FM or AM bands. As part of a SAR demo, I tracked an avalanche beacon with an AM portable radio when within 20 feet, with my shortwave rig I can go much further. So there are lots of things that can do this at least as far as basics. Time is not critical, so who cares if it is a little effort.

Doug 7rxc

Hi all,

I like the idea. I have considered it too. you may want to consider using a transmitter anyone can receive with no special equipment. I was thinking about a low power FM radio transmitter, the ones you don't need a license for. I think it is under a watt or something, it has been awhile since I thought about it. That would let more people find it and possible take care of the problem N8OFP mentioned, Even though the premium caches limits caches to specific groups.... of course if it gets denied you can always try opencaching by garmin.

Greg

NM8B

I don't understand why they'd deny it because special equipment is required. Caches requiring scuba gear are approved. Non-divers can't do them. The need for special equipment just bumps up the difficulty rating. An appeal is in order!

I tried a similar idea a number of years ago.

As stated in my original post, it was many years ago that I attempted to do something like this. probably 8 or 9 years ago now that I think about it. Since then many rules have changed.

If you do create a FoxCache, please let us know how it goes.