Personal Information Required?

Just wanted to let something off my chest here.... but when did it become a requirement when hiding a cache to give a person's name and phone number?

I mean honestly, if this is the new protocol then we are going to be having some issues. I always get permission from the owner of the property to place the cache but I don't ever have the permission to give their name and phone number away... that's just against the law of someone's privacy.

That's just my two cents.

Just wanted to let something off my chest here.... but when did it become a requirement when hiding a cache to give a person's name and phone number?

I mean honestly, if this is the new protocol then we are going to be having some issues. I always get permission from the owner of the property to place the cache but I don't ever have the permission to give their name and phone number away... that's just against the law of someone's privacy.

Unfortunately, they have been deposited in the wrong piggybank.

This the OFF TOPIC forum.

Could you request a moderator move it to an appropriate place where your issue could be discussed??

On topic in Off Topic...

Whenever we place a cache, we've included the name of the person, Township, or organization who gave us permission to hide it in our Reviewer note.

- If a number was now required, it'd be no big deal, as whoever gave us permission would know someone may check.

With so many private property hides coming out, I'm surprised that more aren't required to do the same. I'd bet 98% of LPCs would be canned for lack of permission.

Many say they always get permission and they click that they did for the cache page, but like numerous threads on this subject have shown, when the police or security show up and everyone but the CO is clueless that the hide's there, then it's apparent they really didn't.

Edited by cerberus1

Not stalking you, but I live about 50 miles north of you (I've seen some of your caches in my notifications). Unless you've moved, your last 3 caches are "vacation caches". And by the way, you couldn't have moved to both places, so at least one of them is. :lol:

Do you have your home coordinates entered on the website? Like for your own cache notifications? The reviewers actually look at that when someone submits a cache. I think you have only been questioned because you are placing caches out of State.

when did it become a requirement when hiding a cache to give a person's name and phone number?

I'm not entirely sure about when, but the contact info request is in the maintenance section of the guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachemaintenance

bold below added by me.

Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.