Category Proposal: Painted Bus Shelters

At least locally and I am sure elsewhere in the world one can find painted bus shelters, ones painted in an artistic way such as the sample below. We have categories for the likes of painted mailboxes, Painted Hydrants and the like so my proposal is a category to document painted bus shelters. If you support this category please consider joining it to we can move it forward. Two more officers are required to get past the first stage.

You will find the group here.

fcb88465654c1ac0153f4de23e1f9b14.jpg

ccaed012fbfc87c8d84ccaeb1ffdc710.jpg

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

have you thought about Waymarking them in the murals category? Your examples would fit there nicely.

I did think of that and meant to contact the category owner about whether they would fit. That said to me murals are paintings on walls, big paintings and I am in two minds about these being murals. Happy for input into it but.

Also I wonder if they would benefit from their own category or is that just fragmenting things more?

Andrew

There are a quite a few of these over this side (NSW) & I agree they need their own category. When I think of a mural it is something relatively large such as you describe. Painted bus shelters may reflect socio-economic or cultural factors peculiar to the area & are equally as attractive as a mural. Often they are painted by the school children living in the immediate vicinity as part of their school's art class. The majority of the bus shelters I see are in rural areas & used mainly by school children. No doubt cities (NSW - Newcastle, Sydney & Wollongong) would have them. I support the category & have joined up.

I am glad to see this topic pop up in the forum. I have also thought about a distinct category for Artistically-Themed Bus Stops. I have run across quite a few in my travels that contain anything from a sculpture-like design with artistic ornamentation to a mural-like design. I think a category devoted to bus stops would be a great addition and I would be willing to be an officer of this category as well. :D

I think these could be interesting. Around here I really don't have many bus shelters and those in the city are dull and utilitarian so I would have to watch for artistic ones during my travels but still a good idea.

Thanks. Trust me we have lots of those utilitarian ones too but some more creative ones are popping up. Maybe it will become a world wide craze? :)

BTW the one in the photos is pretty cool as it is outside the old Fremantle Prison which was built with convict labour in the 19th century and only closed down as an operational maximum security prison in 1991 so the painting on/of the bus shelter is quite appropriate.

Andrew

I would prefer to see a category not only for painted ones but for 'unique artistic bus shelters'.

I know some nice ones in Hannover, Germany. They have been created by famous artists and architects. You can see them here or here.

I'm sure there are more somewhere in the world.

I almost totally agree with Tante.Hossi - how's that for definitive?

I would also prefer a broader category than painted bus shelters. While there are many many dull and boring bus shelters out there, I believe that there are bus shelters that are very artistic, beyond just painted shelters. I agree that bus shelters that are artistic from an architectural or structural standpoint would add to this category. I would take it a step further and suggest that you include shelters with artistic elements be included, beyond the architectural elements of the shelter. I've seen bus shelters that have physical art work added to the shelter, such as sculptures or abstract objects of various forms. This http://milpitas.patch.com/groups/arts-and-entertainment/p/citys-newest-public-art-crowns-bus-shelter is one example. Some of these http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/18994-Cool-bus-stops-from-around-the-world are examples, as well.

The category has now gone to peer review as Artistically Themed Bus Stops. I can discuss the other suggestions with the group officers but I feel we are starting to push the category in a direction that was not intended. Also for example sculptures and abstract objects may well fit into existing categories.

@Tante.Hossi I would suggest that such bus shelters should have their own category ... they are quite distinctly and clearly different to the type of bus shelter being suggested in this category. I would be happy to support you in setting up such a category.

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker
...So the category has to be opend more wide and it will pass peer review to 99%!...

That's what I wanted to say :laughing:

I agree that if your category is more inclusive to artistic bus shelters, it will have a greater chance of passing review. As Tante.Hossi pointed out, the emphasis should be both on Artistic and Shelter. I'm still not sure what an artistic bus stop is without a shelter. Maybe it's just a regional difference in terminology.

I would also suggest, as I did in the review process, that you look at a few other categories to get a feel of, and ideas from. That will help in determining how to re-write your category description. I know I could suggest many, but two that are closer to what your category is about, and that I think are well written, are: Artistically Disguised Utility Boxes and Garage Door Art.

One more thing. I would suggest bringing it back to the forum for others to critique before heading back to peer review.

Since the proposal was knocked back, the group is no longer required unless one of the existing officers or someone else wants to try again. So assuming that there is no interest these be closed down/removed or do they just languish in the system?

I will also ask the existing officers if anyone wants to try again just in case.

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker