Finding religious tracts in caches

Any other thoughts on this issue?

Yes.

1) This subject comes up every now and then. People take sides, argue it to death, and then the thread gets locked.

2) If you don't like the free exchange of ideas and having people lambast you for being wrong, then the geocaching forum is not the place for you, either.

3) If you're not a big fan of people trying to get others to see things their way, then you've got the paradoxical problem of having no way to tell us so, without contradicting yourself, which you kind of just did.

4) If you don't like the pamphlets, then remove them. That, also, is your free speech on the matter, only cheaper and easier.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I'm not big on the amount of beer and liquor-themed trade items I see in geocaches. I'm out to enjoy the find, not to be reminded of the many ways in which alcohol has been destructive to countless lives, including within my own family.

But seeing that others enjoy trading such items, I leave them be when I come across them. Similarly, if someone is bothered by religious tracts in caches, they could consider not reading them and leaving them sit in the cache.

If you don't like the pamphlets, then remove them. That, also, is your free speech on the matter, only cheaper and easier.

Oh! I can remove all beer and liquor related trade items because I don't like them? Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I thought you had to trade for things that aren't on the list of prohibited cache contents. I've been laboring under a misunderstanding for 11 years now.

Please don't remove them on principle, that is just wrong.

The founding principle of geocaching is take something leave something of equal or better value i.e. Trade Fairly.

Therefore if I come across a tract or other item that I want to take from a cache I simply trade an NC Sweet Potato tract for it. They are delicious and nutritious, and also the official State vegetable.

Yes, my choice is to not read them or pay attention to them in any way. I happily log the cache and move on to the next. There is a cacher in my area who does this. I am thankful to him for the many caches that he put out that I used on my 366 day streak.

But should we ignore the distribution of hateful speech and ideas?

I think you may be confusing hatred for idiocy. So far, the most extreme ones I've seen are the Chick tracts referenced above. According to the Gospel of Chick, pretty much everybody is going to burn in eternal hellfire. But even these don't qualify as hate speech, in my book. Rather, I see them as a deeply profound misunderstanding of one particular religion's scripture. Chick's grasp of doctrine is so poor that the end result is actually rather entertaining, if viewed in the right light.

If you find them in poor taste, don't read them.

Trade them out for some other, more benign tract, such as sweet taters or noodly appendages.

I think you may be confusing hatred for idiocy. So far, the most extreme ones I've seen are the Chick tracts referenced above. According to the Gospel of Chick, pretty much everybody is going to burn in eternal hellfire. But even these don't qualify as hate speech, in my book. Rather, I see them as a deeply profound misunderstanding of one particular religion's scripture. Chick's grasp of doctrine is so poor that the end result is actually rather entertaining, if viewed in the right light.

Trade them out for some other, more benign tract, such as sweet taters or noodly appendages.

The Southern Poverty Law Center lists Chick Publishing as a hate group. Not that I care one way or the other.

Link to their list

The Southern Poverty Law Center lists Chick Publishing as a hate group. Not that I care one way or the other.

Link to their list

That's a pretty extensive list. I wonder what they use as qualifiers?

Any person or group who does not think like they do?

A tract or pamphlet is not a trade item.... any more than business cards or other advertising. Are y'all saying I should replace a piece of advertising trash with something of real value?

Give me a break!

I never look at any of that trash in caches I find, and many times cito it out because it is a mass of wet pulp.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I agree, to simply say everyone is evil is misguided theology. However, Chick Tracts call out specific groups as being evil: Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Mexicans, Homosexuals, evolutionary thinking... Although most rational and logical thinking people can see through hatred and misguided theology, I can say from personal experience, children and teenagers aren't always able to those decisions and begin to believe the message found within these tracts. And as a man who understands the hatred behind the words in Chick Tracts, I don't think they are family friendly, nor should they have a place in such an activity that crosses all social, gender, economic, and religious barriers. Stick to the dollar store toys, the hand-made craft items, the path tags and many other great items out there that are great for geocaching and leave the proselytizing in the religious institutions.

Are y'all saying I should replace a piece of advertising trash with something of real value?

No. Unless my reading comprehension has faltered, I think the most common message is that you should trade them for something of equal value. Real is entirely too subjective. It is entirely up to you to determine the worth of an item. (Yeah, I know. That's also entirely subjective) Since I find them to be a folded slip of paper with text and imagery which I find fairly amusing, then, to me, a similar folded slip of paper which I find fairly amusing would be an equal trade.

Are y'all saying I should replace a piece of advertising trash with something of real value?

No. Unless my reading comprehension has faltered, I think the most common message is that you should trade them for something of equal value. Real is entirely too subjective. It is entirely up to you to determine the worth of an item. (Yeah, I know. That's also entirely subjective) Since I find them to be a folded slip of paper with text and imagery which I find fairly amusing, then, to me, a similar folded slip of paper which I find fairly amusing would be an equal trade.

I guess my point was that tracts and advertising don't need to be traded for at all. But maybe my definition of swag, or trade items is different than others'.

EDIT to add:

I agree with the concept of "if you don't like them, then don't read them", but I don't think anyone needs be concerned with trading anything for them.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

When I see that stuff in a cache, I:

Feel sad to think that there are people who are weak-minded enough to think this is the way to reach out and promote their religion. :(

Feel sad that there probably ARE other weak-minded people out there who would be influenced by them. :(

If the material is in 'usable' condition, I either trade fairly, or ignore it. If it's a soggy mush-ball I trash it.

Link to their list

If that bunch of libtards doesn't like them, they must be alright! :laughing: But I won't base my likes or dislikes on what they think.

There are many cachers who believe in Jesus Christ, and probably many more who don't. What they choose to leave in caches is up to them, if you wish to remove something, trade for it. Taking to discard just because you don't care for something is censorship, pure and simple, unless the item is against guidelines such as food or weapons. Discarding paper items turned to mush is cache maintenance, mush holds water in place.

Not all have share your beliefs or sentiments, but you need to respect theirs if yours are to be worthy of respect.