Mission 3: East Coaster

Guest jeremy

Guest Creator of Geocaching

..hmmm

Near N42 2.3 W74 33.0

See you There!! Got my chopper stationed and my satphone charged.

Dave...

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Creator of Geocaching:

ROGER: Staging chopper at Country Club Airpark...

Dave...

At least you wont be there to spoil it again this time, Dave mad.gif

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

And we're all wrong. It's New Hampshire, west of Manchester.

Hope so Bob. I'm sitting here in Bedford (next door to ManchVegas), GPS in hand, Delorme atlas and day pack in the car, canoe on the rack, ready to rock n' roll.

Guest cache_ninja

totally offtopic, how long have you been in bedford? ever goto a restaurant named Hunan?(chinese). closed a few years ago...

if i had your e-mail i wouldve juat e-mailed you etc. heh

Guest bob_renner

CaptHawke,

Are you familiar with Chestnut Hill Road? I hear tell there was a big black SUV tailing a small vehicle in that area. They lost the tail in some residential area near Chestnut Hill Road.

Spotted SUV in earlier sweep. Chestnut Hill is only 8 miles south of Country Club Airpark. INS aligned.. ReadySet..

Dave...

Dang,,, tricked by the A.P.E 's, oh well only 175 miles away... gotta get the coordinates into the INS...

Dave...

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

Are you familiar with Chestnut Hill Road? I hear tell there was a big black SUV tailing a small vehicle in that area. They lost the tail in some residential area near Chestnut Hill Road.

Big black SUV? Probably Dean Kamen's Humvee. The small vehicle could have been 'Ginger', i.e. It, out for a road test.

(FWIW, BMW's Joe English cache is at the foot of Chestnut Hill. Great cache. Unexploded ordnance and Erethizon Dorsatum: What more could a cache seeker want?)

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 08 June 2001).]

Guest makaio

Anyone else find it interesting how some facts from the cache description are posted here *prior* to the description being posted? Seems a small faction of geocachers may be privvy to insider trading. Maybe it wasn't coincidence that our "Creator of Geocaching" happened to be first on the scene to #2...

Guest bob_renner

Nothing to do with insider trading. Every time YOU post a cache page, it's available immediately for ALL to see IF they know the ID number of the cache. The cache page has a disclaimer at the top that says it isn't approved yet and it doesn't show up on the searches until it's approved. However, if you look at the latest cache list, view the top cache, and then increment the ID number in the URL, you can see the next cache (if one has been entered). Keep an eye on this on Thursday evening and you might see what's going to be posted on Friday morning.

However, new posts may not have the true coordinates until the last minute. Those Project APE guys are sneaky.

Bob

OING TO BELIEVE THIS ?

As I flew East to participate in Mission #3 I called various airports in search of a chopper and a pilot. I was given the number of Sergeant Bo who had done three tours in Nam as a chopper jocky and now ownes his own Huey.

Called Bo and he said he could go. I asked if he had a GPS in his Huey, he said no. Said his armored rotor blades hash up them fancy sattlites and GPS don't work. But, he did have a good old military INS (Inertial Navigation System) that would get us within 200 yards if we could just convert to the right military datum.

I said OK, we'll go with INS, gave him my credit card number and a plan on where to meet.

7 AM the next day we meet at Country Club Airpark and plan for our dash to the cache. The Huey is in its original 1971 paint job with only white letters BOSARGENT INC on the boom. Bo tells me it takes 15 minutes to align the gyro platform on the INS and that could slow our departure. Decided to leave the platform up and running until the coordinates come in.

Agonizing hours went by as I monitored the net for APE activity. Finally after noon the coordinates were had and entered in the INS. I said GO BO and he spun up the turbine engine but the whine soon died... What the hell? Oh, God, the battery was dead ! Keeping the INS aligned all morning had run the battery down. I ask if we could get a 24 volt jump start but Bo said no, gotta take the battery out to the shop for charging...

So much for the dash to the cache. Went to the club to ask about a limo or another chopper. Gal named Julie overheard my requests and said she had some exotic wheels at her place. Gotta get some lunch before we go, starving... Talked up Julie over lunch and found her to be a very warm and moist person. Went back to her place and never left. Decided to go for her cache and abandon the mission...

Now I think she may have been an agent of the Ninja...

Dave...

[This message has been edited by Creator of Geocaching (edited 09 June 2001).]

Guest makaio

Seems cache_ninja has either fallen victim to the APEs, or was overcome with the same malody which affected or beloved CoC which prevents further coherent explanation of what was discovered within the cache. Maybe the APEs are spiking the caches with some sort of potion which causes those who visit them to inherit APE like functionality (mute/ignorant), thereby rendering them unable to express details of their venture.

Here's hoping cache_ninja can overcome this plague and provide some details on his find.

Guest cache_ninja

too risky to post information here.

use stealth to search around www.cacheninja.nu

you will find certain detail of the object recovered from APE there. remember, as ninja we often use invisibility.

use cunning and stealth.

Guest Artful Dodger

It takes an acquired taste to decifer Cache_Ninja's text sometimes - its like a migrane for the eyes: confused.gif

Congrats to him on the Project APE! I gave up looking at his web page - too cryptic!

I was the third there - was hoping for a T-Shirt. Alas, none was to be found! Still, it was a good experience.

Guest makaio

Now that Fox has gotten the word and is priming it's caches with more than the single prop I wonder if they, as owners of these caches, will return to those west coast caches already found and add more promotional type items. Seems like the fair thing to do, eh?

Guest crwdog

makaio - I went back to the APE #2 cache and re-seeded it myself yesterday - it'd be nice if we could get more than 4 groups to visit it :^)

Mike

Guest makaio

I read that in your posts, both here and in the cache logbook. As an advocate of cache owners maintaining there caches, I'm curious, though, if Fox and/or their local representative (did they fly in or have someone local associated with geocaching plant it) will maintain the cache of if they plan on simply leaving it there. Ie, should someone stumbe upon it and decide to take the box leaving all it's contents strewn about, it's up to the owner to go back and clean it up. I also left an item but took nothing, but thought it'd be nice if they returned to place other APE promotional items as they are apparently doing in other caches now.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

maintain the cache of if they plan on simply leaving it there.

As I understand it, a Project APE representative is local to each cache and will occasionally check in on it (though how often and when they restock, I don't normally know). In addition each locale where a Project APE cache is placed the local administrator of that area is aware of its existence.

At some times I do receive tipoffs when new information pertaining to Project APE appears in an older cache. When I find out I will post a message in the forums.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy