What size cache would you consider this container?

Title says it all.

The container's dimensions are: 6.46in. W x 3.25in. H x 5.11in. D.

It seems bigger than the 'smalls' that I've found.

And it seems smaller than the 'regulars' that I've found.

As it stands, I have it marked as regular, with a note saying that it's in between the two sizes.

What say y'all?

Pic below:

1016657_10201487262847757_1170146203_n.jpg

Brian

*GeoPunx*

Regular caches are about the size of a loaf of bread. Yours seems a little smaller but probably doesn't matter if you choose regular and not small. Most people care about the difference between micro and small, since it's the difference between 'will it hold swag/trackables' or 'will it not hold swag/trackables". Your container will hold most trackable sizes.

Regular caches are about the size of a loaf of bread. Yours seems a little smaller but probably doesn't matter if you choose regular and not small. Most people care about the difference between micro and small, since it's the difference between 'will it hold swag/trackables' or 'will it not hold swag/trackables". Your container will hold most trackable sizes.

I got out my ruler. That's a nice size small container. About half the size of a loaf of bread. So if you want to be accurate, choose Small. You could provide the measurements in your description to let people know how large it is.

0b4c861a-7879-4ab2-8f9f-eb491dba4c65.png

Here's the cache size indicator on the submission page. If it's smaller then an ammo can it's a Small. Notice the size of the ammo can with respect to the person's hand. It looks like the pelican box is between the small and regular size. If you slide the slide indicator to the middle between Small and Regular the interactive slider will choose Small. If it falls between size categories the choice is the smaller category. so If it's smaller then an ammo box, it's a Small.

So those people who are saying in their opinion it's a Regular, probably haven't looked at the submission form which indicates what the size guidelines are.

Also here's the GC Help Center's information on size:

Sizes

1. micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller
  2. small: Holds only a small logbook and small items.
  3. regular: e.g. ammo box
  4. large: e.g. 5-gallon bucket (about 20 liters)
  5. other: See the cache description.

Still, if you choose Regular I doubt finders will be upset. I just want to point out what the guidelines say, and that it's not a matter of opinion.

Edited by L0ne R

According to my math, that's a little more than 1.5 litres.

According to the "What does a geocache look like?" section of Geocaching 101, a regular size cache is "1L or larger, but less than 20L."

Thus, this is a regular size cache.

Thank you for saving the math geek from doing the math. :lol: Yup, way more than 1.0 litres. We have ourselves a regular here.

Side note, 1.2 litre Lock-n-Locks (or clones) are rather common. Where I come from, at least, they are almost always listed as small. Meaning the owners of these caches are almost always wrong. :o

According to my math, that's a little more than 1.5 litres.

According to the "What does a geocache look like?" section of Geocaching 101, a regular size cache is "1L or larger, but less than 20L."

Thus, this is a regular size cache.

I wish Groundspeak would put the volume information everywhere - in the submission form, in the Help Center and Geocaching 101. Volume makes the most sense. There's less argument about volume. Here's what is says:

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

other.gif Other - See the cache description for information.

I measured one of my shoeboxes and it measures 12" L x 6" W x 4" H.

GeoPunx's box is 6.46" L x 5.11 W x 3.25" H (about half the length of a shoebox)

But if 6.46" L x 5.11 W x 3.25" H is one liter in volume then it's a regular. If you can pour a 1L (34 ounces/4 cups) bottle of water into the container, then it's a regular.

Boy GS sure makes this difficult. They should stick with volume and provide accurate visual examples.

Edited by L0ne R
Having said that small covers a lot of territory, because there really isn't a category for micros and nano's or xs.
There isn't? I could have sworn there was...
micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

If it's less than 100ml, then it's a micro. If it's less than 10ml, then it's a nano, which is a sub-type of micro (at least, until Groundspeak finally creates a separate nano size).

Cache size small was added after i started caching, vaguely guessing 2004?

Anyway, 8 - 10 years ago, that would be a small, as the standard for regular was an ammo can, or the big flattish boxes meant to slide under beds that were common (and commonly wet) back then.

Today, most cachers would call that a regular - and thanks to the volume math provided by niraD, this I guess it is.

I'd still call it a small myself, and be wrong I guess ;-).

Lately I see matchsafes called smalls most of the time. Which seems pretty weird to me.

I can't imagine anyone complaining if the cache is a bit larger than expected! :)

I would list it as a 'small', but in the main description I would mention that it is a bit big for a 'small' and leave it at that.

Listing a pill bottle as a 'small' is just wrong though, and we have a local who does it consistently. :mad:

The definition of 'guideline' is "recommended practice that allows some discretion or leeway in interpretation". So when following the size GUIDELINES you get top use your own judgement. If it's between sizes I'd use whichever size fits the hide better. If hiding it in the woods where ammo cans live I'd definitely call it a small. If in an open area where micros abound I'd have no problem calling it a regular.

I just want to point out what the guidelines say, and that it's not a matter of opinion.

:ph34r:Of course it's always a matter of opinion as shown in this thread.

The guidelines and the cache submission page show/provide some examples to illustrate cache sizes. However, to employ an interpretation of that illustration as "the" size is nonsense.

Given the volume guideline the OP container at 1.78 liters is clearly almost twice the minimum size of a regular. Further, given the variety of ammo cans cachers encounter they can range from 4.8 liters (five times minimum size of regular) to 29.5 liters (that are clearly a large) so a broad "ammo cans are the minimum for regular" perspective does not necessarily apply.

I just want to point out what the guidelines say, and that it's not a matter of opinion.

:ph34r:Of course it's always a matter of opinion as shown in this thread.

The guidelines and the cache submission page show/provide some examples to illustrate cache sizes. However, to employ an interpretation of that illustration as "the" size is nonsense.

Given the volume guideline the OP container at 1.78 liters is clearly almost twice the minimum size of a regular. Further, given the variety of ammo cans cachers encounter they can range from 4.8 liters (five times minimum size of regular) to 29.5 liters (that are clearly a large) so a broad "ammo cans are the minimum for regular" perspective does not necessarily apply.

You got me on that one. I had assumed the guideline images were the starting size for that category. Instead they are a mid-range example of a container that fits into that category.

The shoebox is also around 4L. Here's my demo:

Here's the empty plastic shoebox next to 1 liter of water:

74d3f757-1716-4aef-80cc-c10efa44b79e.jpg

Here's the shoebox with 1L of water in it:

598bd306-1c8f-4108-acff-50a461e032ee.jpg

This 100ml 3" round Lock & Lock is at the smallest range for the Small size:

lock-lock-3-round-clear-geocache-15401%20LockLock%203%20Round%20Clear%20Geocache-medium-350x262.JPG

and a 6x6x2 inch sandwich box falls in the high end range of Small at 870ml.

lock-lock-6-x-6-x-2-clear-geocache-15416%20LockLock%206x6x2%20Clear%20Geocache-medium-350x262.JPG

And this 6x4x3 inch Lock & Lock is just over 1L (1.1L) and falls in the low end of the Regular category

lock-lock-6-x-4-x-3-camo-geocache-15503%20LockLock%206x4x3%20Camo%20Geocache-medium-350x262.JPG

Edited by L0ne R

Holy crud. I really don't think people will really care about these differences. All they care about are

A - Can it hold swag and/or trackables?

B - Is it watertight?

and C - Can it hold swag and/or trackables?

I can guarantee there is nobody out there with a measuring tape calculating the volume of your cache to determine whether or not you lied about the size. Those "guidelines" are just a rule of thumb. For me, if I could fit my wallet AND phone inside, it's "regular". If I could not fit my wallet and phone inside, but COULD fit a pack of gum inside, it's "small". So gum -> wallet, small. Wallet + phone, regular.

Edited by J Grouchy

I would however like to see all the suggested volumes be consistent.

Consistency? What a bizarre concept! I think the frog's name is Willy Nilly. Make a change, but do not check to make sure it follows through everywhere. Volume is one good example. Lots of other examples. If I sign in in one spot, 'keep me logged in' is checked. If I log in via a different route, I have to mouse to 'keep me checked in'. Cannot do it with tabs.

If I go to "Play>Hide & Seek a Cache>By GC Code, 'GC' is filled in already. If I have logged a cache, there is a spot for "Visit another listing". Here one has to type in the full GC code. Nothing wrong with either concept. But consistency does not exist on geocaching.com. Whatever strikes their fancy when they make changes. Lack of 'follow through'.

Listing a pill bottle as a 'small' is just wrong though,

I once had a newbie with about 6 finds write confidently about one of my matchbox containers: "Definitely too big to be a micro" even though it had been just fine for about 6 years listed that way. I guess things change.

The container in question I would list as a small, mostly because when I buy sets of Lock-and-Locks the ones this size are way smaller than the ones I list as "regular." I would have NO problem if I found it and it was listed as a regular, though. I'd just be happy to find it.

My "rule of thumb":

A 35mm film canister (50 ml) is a typical micro

A sandwich box (500 ml) is a typical small

An ammo can (5 liter) is a typical regular

A 5 gallon bucket (20 l) is a typical large

I chose to draw the line between sizes at 160 ml (3 times larger than typical micro, 3 times smaller than typical small), at 1.6 liter (3 times larger than typical small, 3 times smaller than typical regular), and at 10 liter (2 times larger than typical regular, 2 times smaller than typical large). Around the line (especially between the micro and small) there's a bit of tolerance, and a bigger container that can't hold trackables (a long tube for example) is still a micro.

... and a bigger container that can't hold trackables (a long tube for example) is still a micro.

That's usually where I draw the line between micro and small. If it can't hold at least a logsheet and a couple of small trackables, it's a micro.

geez...looked like a small to me...besides, i only use that info from the cache page as a GUIDE to what i'm looking for...

well, IF, that is, i've read the cache page entirely, not just downloading coords for an area before i head out...

sometimes i've found on site first and then online while logging that the cache size was swapped out for various reasons...

having the coords in my Etrex tells me there's a cache still not found, the rest is up to me for the thrill of the hunt...

If I were hiding that, I would list it as a small. I've seen them at Wally World and they just don't feel like a regular in my book, despite what the math tells you.

Same here,, That seems too small to be listed as regular. On a related note, i've seen many a soda tube listed as small. :blink:

I would say a small but we recently changed out one of our regular caches in a popular area with one of these and because it is so crowded we just left it listed as a regular. All the feedback has said how they are shocked to find such a big regular container in such a place.

I'd go by what it can hold (generally). For a box, if only a few small items fit, it's small. If it can hold swag, a log, trackables, and have a little space for anything, regular! This size box in topic is right there on the border, by looking at it, for either small or regular. I'm not sure what I'd list it for, myself (and am not going to concern myself about it, as it doesn't matter for me). A LOT of smalls around here are pill bottles and match stick containers.