Speaking of female geocachers...

Sparrowhawk

Recently I posted an announcement in the forums that I'd be hanging out in a restaurant at a certain time and place. If anyone wanted to join me, they just needed to show up, and look for the geocacher in the wacky, bright, sparkle-sequin hat.

So I show up... no one seems to be looking for me in this hat I wear that could darn near blind ya in bright sunlight. icon_biggrin.gif

So I hung out at the bar for awhile and ordered food. No one is showing. After a long time, FINALLY someone came up to me and we happily took a big table.

Some other geocachers joined us at that point. Turns out they came early, saw me in the hat as described, then figured I had to not be the geocacher in question because I was female.

Because of that they cluelessly looked at and then instantly forgot me. Even with the only wacky hat like that in the whole place! (or probably in the whole city for that matter) icon_rolleyes.gif

Ah, well... I am not offended, just that just points out what happens when ya assume.

Kinda like the old story/riddle of the car accident where the father is killed, the kid is injured with a traumatic injury to the chest and heart and is rushed into the ER. When the heart surgeon sees the kid, the surgeon says "I can't operate on this child, he is my son!" Who is the heart surgeon?

It's fun to share this story and see who doesn't clue in due to unexamined unconcious assumptions! icon_biggrin.gif

That's just life for ya... it just kinda figures...

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

"Kinda like the old story/riddle of the car accident where the father is killed, the kid is injured with a traumatic injury to the chest and heart and is rushed into the ER. When the heart surgeon sees the kid, the surgeon says "I can't operate on this child, he is my son!" Who is the heart surgeon?

"

The milk man is a heart surgeon too? icon_razz.gif

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Way back I had met some ladies online (before the modern internet) at the university. They were in Anchorage and I was in Fairbanks. We got along and a chance to go to Anchorage came along. So I stayed with some family and called them up. The only place I could recall on the drive in was a fried chicken place. That's where I suggested we meet.

Like in your experience, they showed up, looked around, didn't see what they were looking for and kind of milled around. Since I had figured out who they were I introduced myself and they were suprised. They had assumed I was black because of the place we met at. Go figure.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

"Kinda like the old story/riddle of the car accident where the father is killed, the kid is injured with a traumatic injury to the chest and heart and is rushed into the ER. When the heart surgeon sees the kid, the surgeon says "I can't operate on this child, he is my son!" Who is the heart surgeon?

"

The milk man is a heart surgeon too? icon_razz.gif

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Man...My mom nailed me with that one when I was a kid.

I hear Playboy is planning a "The Women of Geocaching" issue. The centerfold data is:

Turn Ons-

Finding caches

Hiding caches

Shopping for cache items

Bubble baths with that special someone

WAAS

Turn offs-

Smokers

Rude people

Getting up early

Traffic

People that whine about snake bites

Hey, I can dream can't I?

quote:
Some other geocachers joined us at that point. Turns out they came early, saw me in the hat as described, then figured I had to not be the geocacher in question because I was female.

Maybe it's just the crowds I hang out with, but I've never understood this sort of thing. I guess in some parts of the US it is true that men significantly outnumber women in technological fields and in other "geeky" settings; I'm just glad to say this hasn't been my own experience. (For which I am happy!)

Some of the best IT people I know are female: programmers, network administrators, and more web designers than I can count. I know numerous female comic collectors and role-players. Just over half of the members of the ConCom for Duckon XII are female. (Can I point out that Duckon is one of the best conventions here in Chicago? icon_biggrin.gif )

Barbarian - Founder of the Barbarian Illuminati

Don't make me use the mind control laser on you!

SJ Games - http://www.sjgames.com

GURPS, Ogre, INWO, Munchkin and more. Fnord

A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the beginning of a whole new argument.

quote:
Originally posted by brawdy:

once met a dork who was completely surprised (and impressed) that I could drive a stick shift.

=========================================================

It never does to leave a live Dragon out of the equation.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

quote:
Originally posted by The Buzzard's:

Maybe there should be a personals thread on here! Seems like there's enough people looking, but not able to find!!!

So how would a personal ad read?....something like....Status (Select 1) S/D/W, Geocache Level (Select 1)=Obsession/Moderate/When I Get Around To It, Location (WGS84)=Lat/Long icon_biggrin.gif

f~g

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

Originally posted by falcospav:

Hmmm... Perhaps it is because your profile says "male?" LOL

Joel in B'ham (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

A little over a year ago, I found myself back into the dating environment. Now I take dates geocaching. It is something fresh and new and something they have never done before. It sure beats going and spending 100 bucks on a movie and dinner. Just get them out there for a day of caching, wear em out from long hiking, then hit the local watering hole, spend 20 bucks on drinks and call it a day. Total cost, less than 40 bucks, Tom would be proud.

i am a female who geocaches. i was turned on to caching by a female, and i have four other female friends who cache as well.

benny caches with me sometimes, but he's still the minority if 2 year old daughter is with.

peace

"i am but mad north-nothwest...when the wind is southerly, i know a hawk from a handsaw."

Another Female Geocacher here. Right after Xmas I announced that I was getting a GPS as I wanted to get out into the wilds again and "do Geocaching". My fiance looked at me with the "OK darling, you are normal and that is a good idea" incredulous look he often gives me.

On our very first cache he announced "I love this crazy thing you have got me into"!!!

And I've got my pets & child addicted too! icon_wink.gif

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

There are a lot of female geocachers out there... I, myself, am one and I was turned on to the sport by another female geocacher. But I've always loved hiking, camping and anything to do with the great outdoors, so it was a natural move for me. The thing I love most about it is finding all of the beautiful natural places that I might have otherwise never known about had it not been for geocaching. I plan to drag another female friend of mine out to experience it soon, and I KNOW she will be an immediate addict. LOL

It would be interesting to know what the actual ratio of male to female geocachers is, wouldn't it?

The Jaded Jeweler

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by Delia:

...It would be interesting to know what the actual ratio of male to female geocachers is, wouldn't it?

It's higher than most normal 'guy' type activities. But beyond that I don't now.

Are you insinuating that geocaching is a 'guy type activity'???

I'd heartily dispute that concept. "Gathering" is something women have evolved to be experts in!

(Just because cache 'hunting' is referred to by that misnomer doesn't make it so, cache 'seeking' would be closer to the truth.)

I would point out that at a recent event I attended the females outnumbered males and whenever I've gone caching w/females they've been quicker to find generally (something pointed out to me by another male attendee).

It also seems to me that women generally are more excited by finding caches, whereas men are often more interested in seeing things on the way, planning the trip, or enamored by the tech devices, the hobby being just a vehicle to their enjoyment.

Just some thoughts,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

It's higher than most normal 'guy' type activities. But beyond that I don't now.

Are you insinuating that geocaching is a 'guy type activity'???

I'd heartily dispute that concept. "Gathering" is something women have evolved to be experts in!

(Just because cache 'hunting' is referred to by that misnomer doesn't make it so, cache 'seeking' would be closer to the truth.)

I would point out that at a recent event I attended the females outnumbered males and whenever I've gone caching w/females they've been quicker to find generally (something pointed out to me by another male attendee).

It also seems to me that women generally are more excited by finding caches, whereas men are often more interested in seeing things on the way, planning the trip, or enamored by the tech devices, the hobby being just a vehicle to their enjoyment.

Just some thoughts,

Randy

Yup. I'm insinuating exactly that. Every one of your observations I won't dispute because you are right. However (don't you love that word) Men are less likely to want to attend a social event, in spite of that the men have outnumbered the women at every event I've attended. Can't say my wife hasn't found caches I've overlooked, but since I'm the one with a GPS in my hand I often look about 3 minutes after everyone else starts looking due to wanting to find that magic Zero spot.

Still your point is the same thing I said. Lots of women are involved. Now if you want to take the opposite argument and say that you are suprised at how many man participate in a womens hobby great. Every now and then I see a guy who has taken up quilting.

=====================