Muggled Caches

The OP heard about this whole thing because he joined offthegridcaching.com and inmotionhosting.com took that sucker down too.

Don't worry, that and muggled.net could always come back, after loser responds to them. I once personally got the infamous Geocacher Magazine website taken down, but they put it back a couple weeks later. Obviously, it's still there to this day, except there's no where to give them money.

EDIT: And of course if he saved his two made with Wordpress masterpieces, he could always move them to some other host. I think there are plenty of Geocachers out there who know how to run and read a traceroute though. :lol: Additionally, if it's ever moved, he has to change the nameservers at godaddy.com You can see them towards the bottom, they currently say NS.INMOTIONHOSTING.COM and NS2.INMOTIONHOSTING.COM

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Okay...last year sometime, some folks decided to branch out and create another Geocaching site called "Off the Grid Caching"...I registered and poked around a bit on their site and it did not appeal to me so I never signed back on and, actually forgot about it until now...

I just received an email from them saying that they've launched a "Sister site" called "Muggled.net"...

The admin for the OffTheGrindCaching Facebook group is "Gerald Roman".

Don't we have a troll on these here forums who goes by "Roman!"? That's surely not a coincidence...

Edited by Joshism
Okay...last year sometime, some folks decided to branch out and create another Geocaching site called "Off the Grid Caching"...I registered and poked around a bit on their site and it did not appeal to me so I never signed back on and, actually forgot about it until now...

I just received an email from them saying that they've launched a "Sister site" called "Muggled.net"...

Don't we have a troll on these here forums who goes by "Roman!"? That's surely not a coincidence...

No, according to a linkedin profile, that Roman! is an American, and served in the U.S. Navy. Our Roman!, I think that's his first name. Last name, Polanski. :anicute:

Hopefully at some point we'll find out what, if anything, happened to this moron. I'd be surprised if he could be charged with anything, but any respectfully hosting provider would likely hot want to be associated with him. Somebody has got to recognize his mug though.

Hopefully at some point we'll find out what, if anything, happened to this moron. I'd be surprised if he could be charged with anything, but any respectfully hosting provider would likely hot want to be associated with him. Somebody has got to recognize his mug though.

Well, the name is out there now, and I mentioned linkedin, although I didn't link to it, pun intended. But anyone can find that in about 10 seconds. I was actually doing some thinking while out delivering weekend only newspapers with my kids. Which I've been doing for 6 years, and I'm really getting sick of, incidently. :mad:

Who here amongst us remembers the EatStayPlay.com "promotion"? (which Groundspeak was never informed of, and eventually put a stop to). You spread 50 poker chips promoting that website into caches, and you won a free Geocoin. And the more people that saw one of these chips and took one, the more people that would send for 50 of them and spam caches with them. Bad idea, right? People went bonkers. Turns out the owner of EatStayPlay.com is a really sweet lady, and meant no harm. She made a mistake, and owned up to it. We could say this guy made a big mistake. Although he doesn't look the least bit sweet in that video. :laughing:

He didn't single out puzzle caches, so I doubt it.

Wow, great example of the pot calling the kettle black.

I have been following the thread in a geocaching blog. His real name is well known and the blog site wants to do a interview with him. I think that would be interesting. :laughing:

Wow. I don't follow that Blog's posts via email or anything, and only check in every couple days. I have one to write one myself, you know. :unsure: They got the State of residence wrong though, although they're close. The Linkedin profile is your friend. :ph34r:

It will be interesting to see if he talks to them. Then he can admit he made a mistake, and we can all forgive him like the EatStayPlay.com chick. We did forgive her, didn't we? At least I did. :lol:

I have been following the thread in a geocaching blog. His real name is well known and the blog site wants to do a interview with him. I think that would be interesting. :laughing:

Interesting perhaps, but anyone who gives this guy attention (like an interview) is just feeding the troll. Heck, by even discussing this at all we're essentially feeding the troll, although having absolutely zero public discussions about something like this is hard to avoid.

Who here amongst us remembers the EatStayPlay.com "promotion"? (which Groundspeak was never informed of, and eventually put a stop to). You spread 50 poker chips promoting that website into caches, and you won a free Geocoin. And the more people that saw one of these chips and took one, the more people that would send for 50 of them and spam caches with them. Bad idea, right? People went bonkers. Turns out the owner of EatStayPlay.com is a really sweet lady, and meant no harm. She made a mistake, and owned up to it. We could say this guy made a big mistake.

EatStayPlay was just an ill-conceived advertising ploy.

Muggled.net is at best trolling and at worst encouraging theft and ransom.

Seems a pretty big difference to me. I think the guy who set this up should be perma-banned from geocaching regardless of his intent.

Edited by Joshism

Interesting perhaps, but anyone who gives this guy attention (like an interview) is just feeding the troll. Heck, by even discussing this at all we're essentially feeding the troll, although having absolutely zero public discussions about something like this is hard to avoid.

Who here amongst us remembers the EatStayPlay.com "promotion"? (which Groundspeak was never informed of, and eventually put a stop to). You spread 50 poker chips promoting that website into caches, and you won a free Geocoin. And the more people that saw one of these chips and took one, the more people that would send for 50 of them and spam caches with them. Bad idea, right? People went bonkers. Turns out the owner of EatStayPlay.com is a really sweet lady, and meant no harm. She made a mistake, and owned up to it. We could say this guy made a big mistake.

EatStayPlay was just an ill-conceived advertising ploy.

Muggled.net is at best trolling and at worst encouraging theft and ransom.

Seems a pretty big difference to me. I think the guy who set this up should be perma-banned from geocaching regardless of his intent.

Yeah, we could call eatstayplay.com spamming, and him more like extortion. Who knows what the heck either of them were thinking. I agree, his is much worse. He seemed to have relatively good intentions, but I can't get past him saying you could destroy the caches after a month, if the owner failed to contact you. Dude, what the heck were you thinking?

I dunno, maybe he saw 3 guys were able to create a Geocaching-like bar code game within the past two years, and be successful off of it, to the point of quitting their jobs, and doing it full-time . But I'll tell you what, they were slightly more technologically advanced than a couple of Wordpress blog websites. :ph34r:

You're right, even discussing this is giving him the attention he's seeking. This is my last post on this thread. :P

Some of the site is up. When going to the main page, the text says that after consulting with their sister site http://www.offthegridcaching.com, the site is suspended for now. I clicked on all their links, and the only active one is the video. The hyperlink shows to be active but the 404 Not Found error appears.

I would like to question this since it is up. After watching his video, I highly doubt that the image that is on his site belongs to him. I may be wrong, and would be the first to admit it, but that photograph is lit exceptionally well--not overexposed where the sun's rays shine through, not underexposed where the trees create shade and shadows. If the photograph is not his, did he have permission to use the image? Is there a copyright infringement? If so, was the photographer an independent or is the photographer being paid by someone else? Since this fellow advocated stealing, did he steal this photograph? Copyright infringement is not something to take lightly and could cause this fellow more trouble than he bargained for with this video and website.

Some of the site is up. When going to the main page, the text says that after consulting with their sister site http://www.offthegridcaching.com, the site is suspended for now. I clicked on all their links, and the only active one is the video. The hyperlink shows to be active but the 404 Not Found error appears.

I would like to question this since it is up. After watching his video, I highly doubt that the image that is on his site belongs to him. I may be wrong, and would be the first to admit it, but that photograph is lit exceptionally well--not overexposed where the sun's rays shine through, not underexposed where the trees create shade and shadows. If the photograph is not his, did he have permission to use the image? Is there a copyright infringement? If so, was the photographer an independent or is the photographer being paid by someone else? Since this fellow advocated stealing, did he steal this photograph? Copyright infringement is not something to take lightly and could cause this fellow more trouble than he bargained for with this video and website.

No to be a smart aleck, but I don't think right clicking and saving a picture on the internet was this guys worst offense. :P

Yep, every single link on the site is 404, with this text under his probably borrowed image:

Due to some feedback from sister site (OTGC - www.offthegridcaching.com), we have suspended this site for now…please note [ MDN ] just released site with certain intensions, which have been reconsidered. Thanks to all for your support and guideance…the CONTACT US form is available for any questions or concerns !

I resisted the temptation to insert (sic) after all the speeling errors. :D

If Geojunkie, the OP, is still there, what is up with offthegridcaching.com? I can't find any caches listed, although INATN Blog says there are 6 in Florida. Is this just a regular old Geocaching listing service? Does he have some sort of gimmick like they're all extreme caches or something? Believe me, if you have a Geocaching listing service, and I, Mr.Yuck, don't know about it, you have a problem. :laughing: Wow, start your own Geocaching website in 2012 with a wordpress blog. I can't believe he didn't become rich. :huh:

They got the State of residence wrong though, although they're close. The Linkedin profile is your friend. :ph34r:

I think the Linkedin profile you're looking at must be wrong. The one I'm looking at says the high school he went to is in Jacksonville, he worked for Convergys in Jacksonville in 2000-01, and using Facebook, his wife's home is listed as Middleburg, Florida. I guess this all shows that you need to be careful about what information you put on the web.

I also noticed nobody has mentioned in here that the Youtube video is gone. Thought I'd mention it.

...and someone wondered about kids? Based on the photos on his wife's Facebook profile, it looks like they have two young sons, with possibly a recent third. Setting a really good example...

They got the State of residence wrong though, although they're close. The Linkedin profile is your friend. :ph34r:

I think the Linkedin profile you're looking at must be wrong. The one I'm looking at says the high school he went to is in Jacksonville, he worked for Convergys in Jacksonville in 2000-01, and using Facebook, his wife's home is listed as Middleburg, Florida. I guess this all shows that you need to be careful about what information you put on the web.

I also noticed nobody has mentioned in here that the Youtube video is gone. Thought I'd mention it.

...and someone wondered about kids? Based on the photos on his wife's Facebook profile, it looks like they have two young sons, with possibly a recent third. Setting a really good example...

Sorry Mr. T. You know, we used to call Toz that years ago, but Toz seems to have won out.

What the heck, might as well post it. I mean I've been referencing it, but something told me I shouldn't link to it. I think you and the INATN blog have the wrong Roman. This one definitely mentions Offthegridcaching.com, and even has it's logo. And he ain't from Florida. People do move, I suppose. linkedin linky

What the heck, might as well post it. I mean I've been referencing it, but something told me I shouldn't link to it. I think you and the INATN blog have the wrong Roman. This one definitely mentions Offthegridcaching.com, and even has it's logo. And he ain't from Florida. People do move, I suppose. linkedin linky

Okay, we're looking at the same one. I hadn't noticed the Birmingham mention near the top before, so I was going off of everything else. Even though his wife's Facebook profile says Florida, I just noticed a bunch of photos with University of Alabama Crimson Tide memorabilia, so you must be right that they've moved.

Okay, we're looking at the same one. I hadn't noticed the Birmingham mention near the top before, so I was going off of everything else. Even though his wife's Facebook profile says Florida, I just noticed a bunch of photos with University of Alabama Crimson Tide memorabilia, so you must be right that they've moved.

I might add, I do not have a linkedin account (I'm a privacy k00k who doesn't put his real name on the internet) so you might see more than I do of the profile. But I definitely can see the Birmingham, AL reference.

Someone help me out here, since the website itself, and YouTube video are gone. My posts were mainly about who his webhost was, and insight from being a fellow GoDaddy.com customer and domain name owner, so I didn't really dig into all the links that much. So someone "muggled" your cache and moved it, and the only way you could see the coordinates of where it was moved to was if you paid him 10 bucks? And if you muggled it, you were free to destroy it after 30 days? Lets see, I consider at least 50% of caches to be unmaintained, and half the cache owners probably wouldn't even notice, or care. Not that like one single person on the entire planet was going to go out and muggle a cache, and list it on his website. :lol:

Dude. Unless you opened up a Geocaching mail order business in like 2002 or 2003, or you became a Geocoin manufacturer in like 2005, you're not going to make a penny off of Geocaching. Maybe like 10 people who don't work for Geocaching.com do. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Looks like his web site is back up again

http://www.muggled.net/

No, there's an apology of sorts under the picture, and all the links are 404. No one answered my question though, what did the site originally say? If your cache was muggled and listed there, you could only find out where it was by paying Muggled.net $10?

You have twice as many posts in this thread as anyone else, have sought out his name, and you don't know? :huh:

The site came back up only so he could remove the content. He registered it as private, as I suspect he didn't think anyone would find out his name. He advocated removing and later returning caches, as well as stealing and destroying them if someone didn't join the site for $10. He most likely is watching this thread, as I noticed there is an odd reply in it from someone with 0 finds or hides. The private investigator parked in his area has also reported that he hasn't left his house for much of the weekend.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Looks like his web site is back up again

http://www.muggled.net/

No, there's an apology of sorts under the picture, and all the links are 404. No one answered my question though, what did the site originally say? If your cache was muggled and listed there, you could only find out where it was by paying Muggled.net $10?

You have twice as many posts in this thread as anyone else, have sought out his name, and you don't know? :huh:

The site came back up only so he could remove the content. He registered it as private, as I suspect he didn't think anyone would find out his name. He advocated removing and later returning caches, as well as stealing and destroying them if someone didn't join the site for $10. He most likely is watching this thread, as I noticed there is an odd reply in it from someone with 0 finds or hides. The private investigator parked in his area has also reported that he hasn't left his house for much of the weekend.

I already stated why I didn't throughly read the website itself. Dang, you made me post again. Quick, someone else post about 5 times. :lol:

I already stated why I didn't throughly read the website itself. Dang, you made me post again. Quick, someone else post about 5 times. :lol:

Sorry, I didn't read what you wrote, about not reading what he said. The video was painful to watch, similar to seeing someone defecate all over themselves and being happy about it. I think "2 girls, one cup" was much better. :ph34r:

What's funny is he lists Nuclear Engineer/Electronics Tech on his resume with a time period of about 18 months. That means he got through the first portions of Electronics Tech "A" school and NNPS (Naval Nuclear Power School) but washed out before ever finishing the school and hitting the fleet. He never saw action on a nuke ship in the control room; I can promise that based on the timelines. Those of us who went through those schools used to call those guys nuclear waste. Guess the term still applies.

If Geojunkie, the OP, is still there, what is up with offthegridcaching.com? I can't find any caches listed, although INATN Blog says there are 6 in Florida. Is this just a regular old Geocaching listing service? Does he have some sort of gimmick like they're all extreme caches or something? Believe me, if you have a Geocaching listing service, and I, Mr.Yuck, don't know about it, you have a problem. :laughing: Wow, start your own Geocaching website in 2012 with a wordpress blog. I can't believe he didn't become rich. :huh:

Sorry guys, I just found this! I was watching my original thread and forgot to watch this one after they were merged! As far as OTGC, I actually signed on after this fiasco started and can't find any caches either...I guess he didn't have many takers!!

Since his name is out, his place of employment is easily accessible, his best bet is to post here publicly as himself, apologizing and saying it was a stupid idea. It's very likely at some point his employer will find out about this and have some negative impacts on his career. I'd be very surprised if their resources weren't used at some point to build that illegal site, even if it was on his time over lunch.

Though I'm not sure what happened to Paul Repak, aka cache maggot, who worked in a high security facility. If he didn't lose his job after getting arrested and going to trial, then this idiot may not either.

Looks like it's more fully gone now. The site now says:

Due to popular demand, this site has been removed.

Thanks for your your support.

It probably really means:

Due to legal actions and my inability to be completely anonymous, this site has been removed.

Thanks for your your support. Please don't prosecute me or tell my employers what I did.

And offthegridcaching is gone too, as well as his linkedin profile. Looks like he realized he made a big mistake.

Well, he most definitely saw this thread then. :ph34r: Ok, a bigger mistake, but I still forgive him like the EatStayPlay.com lady. :P

Its garbage alright. Ticks and leeches trying to make money off of someone else in an antisocial and illegal way. We have his image from the video, so he doesn't seem to be too bright.

I also noticed this site and this site, which appear to be linked to this member, through location and a blog which I am not allowed to link to due to forum rules, but I don't think they are related to the OP.

No clue who's selling those shirts, but thanks for the link. I was looking for somewhere to get t-shirts made and shipped out from the internet that didn't cost the buyer 30 freaking dollars, and that vendor might be the one for me. :D

No to be a smart aleck, but I don't think right clicking and saving a picture on the internet was this guys worst offense. :P

Personally knowing two well-published photographers, an illustrator, and an author who would vehemently disagree with you, theft of intellectual property, right clicking and saving a picture on the Internet, is actually a pretty severe offense. Seeing as it is copyright infringement, it does have a pretty significant bite to it, especially if that photographer is paid by some other company to work for them, then it is theft at another level. Stealing is stealing, whether it's someone's rubbermaid container, ammo can, nano, or photograph, and since copyright infringement has precedents set and geocaching containers do not, it does merit consideration if stopping this fellow's criminal activities is a goal.