DNFs

Most of the best logs are DNF logs, 'cuz there is usually a story to the reason behind many DNF's. Be it a wandering search or a mini-disaster while trying to find the cache. Whether the cacher gives you the tale or not is another story.

On the other hand, a "Found It" is far more likely to be a "I came, I saw, I found" or just TFTC -- so what?

Not that Found It logs can't be full of entertainment, they sometimes also contain mini-disasters.

Just sayin' that the better stories (or, more humorous ones) are the DNF logs. IMHO.

I have had arguably more fun DNFing some caches than finding them

Here's a list I made of caches I attempted when I did a trip to Northern Ontario. I was trying for T2 or better caches with the (allegedly) winter-friendly attribute set.

I was batting .538 for finds to DNFs on that trip. It was AWESOME -- I got to see stuff like this:

105006c4-f1de-4c06-9a49-32b66a948731.jpg

Not proud of them and not ashamed...but glad I have the guts to say I did not find it, many folks do not log them for whatever reason.

I never feel ashamed of logging my DNFs. The part i don't like is having an aching buttox afterwards. You know, the result of kicking myself when i'm not able to come up with those in your face, 1/1 hides, that everyone else find so easily. :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

I guess some people are ashamed of them, but most experienced cachers get used to the idea that you don't find them all. Anyone embarrassed about it is probably thinking their miss rate it higher than average when it isn't.

I have to admit, I'm perfectly fine with inexperienced cachers not logging DNFs. While it's fine if they do log them, if they're hesitant, I'm OK with them thinking their DNFs might be less than useful until they get used to how caches are hidden. But after someone stops thinking of themselves as a newbie, I'd encourage them to log DNFs.

People that are embarrassed about not finding a cache should realize that people will know what's going on if they regularly don't post either a find or a DNF when they cache through an area. We know (well, suspect) that they haven't found a cache -- yawn! -- and that they're trying to keep us from noticing -- snicker!

Not proud of them and not ashamed...but glad I have the guts to say I did not find it, many folks do not log them for whatever reason.

Not proud. Not ashamed. I seldom log more than one per cache. None if it's being obvious the CO is into 'nasty hides'.

I do not find most DNFs to be helpful to anyone. Mostly just clutter. Most caches with two DNFs in a row do not make it into my GPS. Squeegy and SpongeBarb got off the wrong bus, and logged DNFs on the twelve caches they were hoping to find on the other side of the river? Meaningless clutter, and those caches do not make it into my GPS. Lots of other caches to find. Those do not help anyone. Clutter.

I'm neither proud nor ashamed, it's just a fact.

I forget who it was (sorry), but someone posted in a similar thread:

Claiming you never DNF is like saying you do not fart.

And with God as my witness, I certainly do both! :lol:

It's always fun to be the one who breaks the ice, when a cache that gets finds constantly suddenly goes quiet, because you know people didn't suddenly stop looking for it. I like posting that first DNF, encouraging those who follow to admit the truth.

To me, the cache owner should enjoy being notified of any attempt at finding their cache, pass or fail. Hey, you just put this thing out in the woods, posted it on the net, and some complete stranger went out of his way to meet your challenge. How cool is that? :lol:

Claiming you never DNF is like saying you do not fart.

True, true... But I don't log my farts. :lol:

We need to have a visible fart stat on this site. If people see that number there, they'll want to increase it. :ph34r:

Is a throw down like blaming the dog?

When I first started caching, I was embarrassed about logging a DNF as I saw it as a failure.

Now I'll log a DNF without any hesitation at all - I logged two DNFs Thursday night due to a missing cache, and either a missing cache or bad eyesight at sundown :o

As a CO, a DNF log tells me that my cache may be missing and I need to check on it outside of a regular maintenance run.

When I first started caching, I was embarrassed about logging a DNF as I saw it as a failure.

Now I'll log a DNF without any hesitation at all - I logged two DNFs Thursday night due to a missing cache, and either a missing cache or bad eyesight at sundown :o

As a CO, a DNF log tells me that my cache may be missing and I need to check on it outside of a regular maintenance run.

Sentiment echoed on this front.

We were the same, in fact I've seen that a lot with new cachers. In our case it was a matter of not wanting to look silly in the eyes of more experienced cachers.

Now we are those experienced cachers, and we log our DNFs with pride!

I always try to post a DNF if I look and don't find. Sometimes the same cache may have 2, 3, or even 4 DNF's from me if I go on different days and still do not find. (If the cache owner doesn't like all of the logs, they can delete them.) It is a record of my visits, nothing more nothing less. No shame here (I can't see. Ha!) An example is a week or so ago, in Flagstaff, AZ, I had a less than stellar success rate. I think I had 5 DNF's out of 15 searches, so a 33.3% "failure" rate. Ha! I will admit that one DNF of those five, I did not post a DNF. I posted a need maintenance or needs archived (Don't remember which) because I found what was part of a cache container and posted a picture of it for the cache owner to see. It was pretty evident that it was missing.

I have posted DNF's only to find later that it was a DNF because it was in fact missing as determined by the CO. I don't change the DNF log, only make a note to myself that I wasn't as blind on that one as I had previously thought. Ha!

There is more than one local cache that has 100 finds and one DNF, mine. It also seems that it is a prerequisite that I DNF a certain hider's caches before I'm allowed to find them. One, I stopped and looked for so many times that the security guard in the parking lot across the street used to wave when I drove up. The two closest unfound caches are his and despite newbies posting, "Easy find" logs, I'm stumped. DNFs are a part of it. We both laugh at my inability to find his easy caches. There's no shame involved.

Lots of people don't write DNF logs. I suppose they are embarrassed that they didn't find it. Although it does show a record of your visit, and may help the next finder. Are you really ashamed of them?

Not ashamed of them at all, if I've made a reasonable effort to find a cache and failed I'll log a DNF. Sometimes if I just can't be bothered with a hunt (often the case with nanos on long metal fences, for example) I'll write a note rather than a DNF but if I've taken the trouble to hunt then I'll log a DNF. If it's been a particularly eventful failure to find I'll post that, sometimes I'll write about how unpleasant the area was and how I lost the will to keep looking.

In my opinion, DNF's are an important part of geocaching. They are a very good indication of a potential problem with a cache, missing or misplaced, and I value them when I look at caches to hunt in an area. If a cache has a string of DNF's, I won't go out of my way to look for it. If it's right on my way though, I might search a bit for it. I have found supposed missing caches doing this. But, if I look and not find, then I will log a DNF. This not only helps me remember the cache, but also rings a little bell for the CO.

I'm neither ashamed nor proud. I just think that was the intent of geocaching all along.

I love my DNFs, as they oft depict the more interesting aspects of how I approach this hobby. As a member in good standing with ISAG, (I Suck At Geocaching), logging all my DNFs is a matter of great personal pride. Unlike the furry fish, I don't consider any DNF to be rubbish. Rather, it is simply data. I'll read it for myself and decide if the data is relavent to my hunt. On Friday, my score was perfect. Four hunts, four DNFs, though I did locate throwdowns on two of those hunts.

I love my DNFs, as they oft depict the more interesting aspects of how I approach this hobby. As a member in good standing with ISAG, (I Suck At Geocaching), logging all my DNFs is a matter of great personal pride. Unlike the furry fish, I don't consider any DNF to be rubbish. Rather, it is simply data. I'll read it for myself and decide if the data is relavent to my hunt. On Friday, my score was perfect. Four hunts, four DNFs, though I did locate throwdowns on two of those hunts.

Agree.. I have a few that should get favorite points for the experience even though I didn't find the cache.

Not proud of, as in bragging about them, but not ashamed either. Some of our most fun caching experiences have ended up in a DNF, and I've even told the CO that in the DNF log.

And some of the most fun logs are DNF logs.

Personally, I think folks that don't log DNFs because they are ashamed of them, or don't want to admit to the DNF are shallow.

Why people feel the need to be so competitive to the point of hiding the fact that they couldn't find a cache is beyond me.

EDIT to add:

We just completed a camping trip where we did a lot of caching. Of the 94 finds, we had 7 DNFs. Two of these have already been responded to by the CO as actually being missing. Without our DNF logs, the CO still wouldn't have replaced the caches ... I wonder if they have been missing for a while with no one logging their DNFs?

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I am a bit embarrassed by a DNF when I miss an easy one that was there the whole time with good coordinates, but I'm half-blind and I know it. Possible embarrassment doesn't stop me from logging a DNF; I feel it is too important. Plus I feel it helps establish my integrity with the caching community: as many caches as I DNF why would I log a bogus Find?

Here is an interesting scenario about posting or not posting a DNF.

A cache popped up. No finds/logs for a few weeks (maybe over a month, I don't really remember). It was a cache that required a hike of probably 6-7 miles round trip. I had been watching it hoping that I would have time and the opportunity to get to search for the cache for a FTF. Then a DNF popped up. After that log an individual wrote a NA log stating that he and a few other cachers had spent over an hour, weeks before the cacher who wrote the DNF, scouring the area and declared that the cache was not there so don't even waste your time looking. The CO on the word of the NA poster disabled the cache until it could be checked on. I had been planning to hike into the area for another cache anyway, so loaded the coordinates for the disabled cache also. You guessed it, I found it and it was a FTF. After posting that log, the NA log mysteriously disappeared as did the poster and the CO enabled the cache again. Even though admitting that he had looked for over and hour, but did not find he must have been ashamed and so did not bother to log his DNF. Hmmmmmmm!

The reason for posting this is to illustrate that a DNF log can give good info. Another is why didn't the cacher who over a month after the fact declared he had looked and it wasn't there posted something at the time he looked and felt it was the case. Maybe the second cacher would have decided differently on going (who knows). If you don't find it, post a DNF. Let the CO sort it out. If you do see something that really indicates it is gone or destroyed, again post that information appropriately and let the CO sort it out.

Off of my soap box now.

Logged a DNF today, looked for like an hour. I was hoping to be the second to find. Funny enough the FTF was a new cacher with 35 finds, and they said they spotted it in 5 minutes! Since it was the first one of the day I was pretty bummed. but then I got 4 smiles for the day, so pretty good!

A cache popped up. No finds/logs for a few weeks (maybe over a month, I don't really remember). It was a cache that required a hike of probably 6-7 miles round trip. I had been watching it hoping that I would have time and the opportunity to get to search for the cache for a FTF. Then a DNF popped up. After that log an individual wrote a NA log stating that he and a few other cachers had spent over an hour, weeks before the cacher who wrote the DNF, scouring the area and declared that the cache was not there so don't even waste your time looking. The CO on the word of the NA poster disabled the cache until it could be checked on. I had been planning to hike into the area for another cache anyway, so loaded the coordinates for the disabled cache also. You guessed it, I found it and it was a FTF. After posting that log, the NA log mysteriously disappeared as did the poster and the CO enabled the cache again. Even though admitting that he had looked for over and hour, but did not find he must have been ashamed and so did not bother to log his DNF. Hmmmmmmm!

The reason for posting this is to illustrate that a DNF log can give good info. Another is why didn't the cacher who over a month after the fact declared he had looked and it wasn't there posted something at the time he looked and felt it was the case. Maybe the second cacher would have decided differently on going (who knows). If you don't find it, post a DNF. Let the CO sort it out. If you do see something that really indicates it is gone or destroyed, again post that information appropriately and let the CO sort it out.

Off of my soap box now.

Ive noticed that more than a few times. No DNFs, followed by an NA because they said they searched, and others have.

Huh??

No, not ashamed, but sometimes embarrassed, especially if no one else is having trouble finding it.

I actually DNFd on this one a 2nd time, but was too embarrassed to log it.

Been there, done that. If I find it after the 3rd or 4th try, though...I'll fess up to all the other previous tries, saying something like "this was actually my third attempt".

Off of my soap box now.

B):P LOVE ur story!! This is why when I make my caching list I will still include ones in my search area that have DNF's even ones that have DNF's for a year or more that are not archived yet. Who knows? Maybe it IS still there and maybe, just maybe I can find it!!!

I'm a definite newbie, only 4 finds so far and just started Geocaching last week. I did have one DNF that I logged. I wasn't embarrassed by it. In fact, someone else found it a few days later and it made me smack my forehead because I never thought to look where they found it! I like seeing the other people's DNF's for a few reasons. #1- if I can't find it, I don't feel so stupid myself. #2 - It shows me where I should have looked. #3 - I'm not the only one looking for this cache!

Lots of people don't write DNF logs. I suppose they are embarrassed that they didn't find it. Although it does show a record of your visit, and may help the next finder. Are you really ashamed of them?

Neither ashamed nor proud.....its just a fact.

If we make an effort to find it and don't a DNF gets logged.

Well sometimes if you're just passing through and you don't really give it a real thorough effort, just sort of a drive-by, now I don't always DNF those.

When I first started I'd log every DNF, and I got a nasty note from a CO once who made a special trip to it and said something like "I don't know what your problem is, it was there" and I replied that "I assumed it was, I just didn't find it, although I didn't really have time to look that hard". I get read all kinds of riot act for the CO coming to check it out and maintain it because of my DNF. I never meant to insinuate that it was gone, just that I couldn't find it, no matter if I might not have really looked that hard.

Now if I legitimately exhaust all my energy trying to find it and give up and can't find it, then I log a DNF. But if I just give it a two-minute drive-by, stop and grab, glance and go, attempt on my way from work or something, I don't always DNF all of those.

Edited by TopShelfRob

I take DNFs as lessons. Generally, there are three situations when I log a DNF.

- The cache is obviously too difficult to find for me at this time. Well, geocaching is a way to learn something new. Great.

- I decided to abandon further search for some reason. E.g. a group of muggles approached the GZ and stopped there chatting.

- The cache has disappeared. Again, it's not my fault that I cannot find it.

In all these situations there's nothing to be ashamed of. I cannot say I'm proud of logging DNFs. (Seriously, how can anyone be proud of not finding a geocache?)

When I log a DNF at a cache I usually thank its CO for taking me to an interesting place.