geocaching alone

What percentage of geocachers search by themselves? I have almost exclusively and my wife in very concerned about my safety. I am in Sun City SC now--flatlands! I used to live in the mountainous area of Roanoke, VA. I searched many mountain tops and sides; sometimes bushwhacking instead of using the trails or looking for better access roads. There are more snakes and even alligators here so I am seldom able to get out to this wonderful hobby I discovered several years ago. I Love this game/sport/whatever you wish to call it!!

I have done a few trips alone but prefer my wife's company -- failing that someone's company. For dangerous areas I wouldn't go alone and probably wouldn't cache there for fear of getting her hurt. For out of the way areas I would go with someone just in the event something happened like a heart attack, broken bone, or even a poisonous snake bite (that can happen in town). For the less rural ones, other than wanting company, I wouldn't hesitate to go alone. I'm very happy with my own company but some things just are better with company. It's sort of like going to Disney World -- it isn't much fun alone and even with another adult it misses something. Kids make a big difference there. Caching is the same way -- I like having someone else with me who gets excited to find one. And in our case, she seems to be able to spot them better than me.

With few exceptions I prefer, and usually do, cache alone. My wife worries about me, too. And not without cause, I miught add. Due to a previous caching incident my ability for fight or flight has been greatly diminshed, so I now have a concealed carry license. It is not unusual for me to carry while caching, depending where I am going, to help protect myself from snakes, bobcat, coyote, dogs, druggies, psychos, etc. Also, I don't often go alone where I do not have cell coverage. It's pretty interesting how far in the boonies I can get around here and still have a signal!

I do almost all of my caching alone, but that is just suburban caching. Hiking caches and other kinds of winderness caches I never go alone, I follow the same rules I follow for all my outdoor adventures. I rarely go alone and if I do someone knows EXACTLY where I am. And that's pretty easy with geocaching if you let someone know what caches you are going for.

Edited by Founden

What percentage of geocachers search by themselves? I have almost exclusively and my wife in very concerned about my safety. I am in Sun City SC now--flatlands! I used to live in the mountainous area of Roanoke, VA. I searched many mountain tops and sides; sometimes bushwhacking instead of using the trails or looking for better access roads. There are more snakes and even alligators here so I am seldom able to get out to this wonderful hobby I discovered several years ago. I Love this game/sport/whatever you wish to call it!!

I especially select Geocaches where snakes are reported. :anicute:

Be sure people know where you will be going. Use the roads and trails. Pay attention to your surroundings. Learn about the habits of the wild animals, and how to avoid them (and not surprise nor corner them) if you will be in their territory. They are almost never a problem, they will avoid people.

If you want to visit an infested swampy area to hunt caches (where you plan to be wading or poking along the shore), wait for a season when the temperature remains below 60°F.

I almost always cache alone. My wife doesn't really like caching, but she always insists on coming with me on weekends because she doesn't want me out there by myself. During the week, I used to tell her where I was going on my lunchtime walks, but she'd always say, "You're going where?!!", so I stopped.

I don't take any safety precautions any more than I did before I was caching. I always have my cell phone, and my walks rarely take me out of cellphone range, but that's the extent of my safety equipment.

Me and my dad go and geocache together

I cache with my better half whenever she's interested. (Getting into caching was, after all, her idea.) When we're on vacation, we always cache together. But she does not like stop and go caching, or road trips, so I typically plan caching with her around areas that have a decent number of caches within walking distance.

These days, since it's summer in Alabama and she's now getting pretty pregnant, she has taken a pass on all geocaching.

I frequently cache alone I am constantly reminding myself that I need to stay well within my "performance envelop" ... I am no longer indestructible.

I typically "file a flight plan" which at least gives folks a rough idea of where the wreckage might be located.

Some years ago I hit a "medical speed bump" and, as a survivor / survivour of a "medical speed bump" it is probably rather foolish of me to play this game in some of the areas which attract me.

However, for me:

Every morning I wake up it is an extra day.

It is Christmas Morning.

I will wring every ounce of enjoyment out of the extra day I have been given.

Was I always of that mind set ... no,

Cache on, file a "flight plan, and stay well within your limits.

It's a rare day when I don't cache alone. Been doing it this way since I started. I cache both urban and rural areas by myself 99% of the time, but like Humboldt Flier, I always let someone know where I'll be if it's going to be in the woods or swamp.

Sometimes it's refreshing to be in the woods with no sounds except the wind and animals.

I do consider it a special day though when I can cache with my granddaughters. They enjoy it as much as I do, but we don't get to go very often.

If its an area I am familiar with, I have no problems solo. If its a long hike and I do not know the area, I will really try to find a partner as accidents happen and would hate to not have assistance. Besides, more fun with others. At night, I would want someone with me as well if its not totally urban.

I almost always cache alone, and most of my caching is done while hiking. Rattlesnakes/mountain lions/ticks/etc are definitely around in my area, so I do my best to stay aware. Short hikes I do after work I usually don't bother telling anyone where I'm going, since I'm usually never getting exceptionally far away from an urban area. Long hikes I take on weekends, I always tell my boyfriend where I'm going and I always joke it's so he knows "where to send the police to find my body when I get bit by a rattlesnake." :D

I like to cache with others, but usually cache alone. I'm in Florida where we have gators, rattlers, and hogs (and black bears in a few places; Florida panthers if you are really lucky). I feel where I go involves acceptable risk, although I have climbed a few trees where I wished someone was there in case I fell. I wouldn't swamphike alone and I don't kayak alone for safety reasons.

Most of my caching is done solo, but I prefer the company of another cacher - it's just more social. Sometimes though, there is nothing like getting out in the bush by oneself though, for the peace and quiet. A lot of my caching overseas, particularly Australia, Africa and the US and Caribbean, was done solo.

...so I now have a concealed carry license. It is not unusual for me to carry while caching, depending where I am going, to help protect myself from snakes, bobcat, coyote, dogs, druggies, psychos, etc...

And all those other pesky FTF hunters! :)

I almost exclusively cache alone. Most of my friends are not aware of the sport. I live alone, so it's pretty easy to just head out somewhere. There are a few caches I've had to pass on that I might have attempted if someone was with me, but for the most part, I'm pretty comfortable. I do carry a cell phone that I could use if something happened.

I can be a bit of a loner. I've hiked half the AT. With my sister across Mass, VT, and parts of NH and Maine. The other 800 miles, by myself. 3/4 of my cache finds have been with my caching partner and/or my sister and brother. (My caching partner is not into long hikes or difficult terrain.)

People keep threatening to buy me a cell phone. Nope. Don't need that. That's my life style. That's who I am. I've met gators in Florida and Louisiana. And lots of bear in many states! And evil cows! Thanks. I'm managing pretty well. I've even hiked across the Grand Canyon (but that was with one brother, and two nephews.)

I enjoy meeting other cachers at events and such, or even chance meetings in the field. The thing with caching alone is, I don't have to worry about my buddy finding the cache instead of me. There's something about actually making the find that appeals to me.

Not that I would refuse to go with someone on that basis. I have taken my brother at least once.

I usually cache alone. I love it! It's a great way to get some peace and quiet and certainly the only way I can get some as my house is filled to the brim with people and animals.

I'm not too worried about my safety when I go out alone. I don't go into remote areas like you do, nor do I bushwack alot, nor do we have many dangerous creatures to worry about. We have cougars here and occasionally black bears, but attacks are rare. For safety, I always carry a cellphone, pepper spray, compass, extra batteries, water purification tablets, first aid stuff, hiking stick. That's about it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I sometimes cache alone, but I probably wouldn't consider it if the danger of snakes and gators is lurking...

We have lots of snakes and gators around our area but they aren't the "wildlife" that i would ever worry about. Meeting up with unscrupulous human beings are what i am more leery of.

I prefer to cache alone, as well as hike/camp alone. My girlfriend comes with sometimes, but she is much less of an outdoorsy person than I am. I have gone out for days by myself. I prefer it this way; I am much more in tune with nature and myself. Plus, I like the challenge of looking without help. Yes, there are risks, but I follow the motto of being prepared and I know my limits. I am young and healthy, which helps. My "go bag" has first aid for bites, breaks, and lacerations. I always have protection. Most importantly, I have studied the terrain and risks involved and I never get cocky. Of course, I always let at least two people know exactly where I will be and when, and schedule check-ins if possible.

I like to take my kids, not only because they love it, but because they have a different searching perspective that often results in making finds I wouldn't have otherwise. However, they'll be out of town this weekend, so I plan to take advantage by hitting a few spots solo that I'm concerned are too rugged for them to get to safely. I've also been known to go after a cache by myself on my lunch break.

My 1st find I did solo. My 2nd with a group. Most of my finds in the first 8-9 years were solo, including some way out in the middle of nowwhere in the desert finds.

These days due to health issues, I only solo nearby paved roads and take the 1st Mate with me otherwise.

I really loved the wayout by yourself finds but I truly enjoy the company. :D

I would say at least 90% of my finds have been solo. Unless you count my dogs, I take them as often as I can.

It is fun to go with others, but I don't want to wait until someone else has the time. Plus, as has been mentioned hiking alone can be "balm for the soul".

If you count my dogs as cache companions, I would guess they go at least 70% of the time.

I'm not so much worried about caching in the woods alone and falling into a hole. I do afterall cache with my 3G enabled phone so if I went missing, someone would find me eventually!

I am more concerned about caching in the city. I currently live in PDX and have encountered some skeettttchhy people out on my walks. So much as I've turned around and abandoned the search. You can by my avatar though I have an intimidating looking dog that I feel secure with. He's a total mush but people wouldn't know by his looks. =)

I tell my wife where I'm going, but I cache alone about 75% of the time. Sure, I *might* fall down a gully, but that's just not something I'm going to worry about too much. I keep an emergency blanket and extra water and food with me and, here in California anyway, don't worry about dying of exposure if I have to stay out overnight, but it's just a (very small) risk I'm happy to bear.

I am alone almost all of the time which can lead to some interesting times like this recent log

Decided to take a little hike in Cronan before it gets to warm and to see how my recovery is going. Had a nice 5+ miler and found a few cachces so it was a great day. Plus got to kill a rattlesnake. This is where I got. Arrived and started looking around the base of the tree and my face ended up two feet from the face of the forked tongue monstor. I backed up and since it was at the base of the tree I had to take action. Lobbed a rock in which hit it and it slithered a lttle ways away but was strung out below the tree where I needed to go. Piled a bunchof rocks on the area slithered up (pun intended) to sign the log.

I usually cache alone, not really worried about people getting me... My daughter has gotten into this more lately and has been going with me. There are places I won't cache alone but only due to the hiking and risks of critter encounters. Those are being saved for us to do together, probably in the fall when it's cooler out and weeds, etc have died off...

Unless my other 2/3rds is along, I prefer to cache alone.

Usually longer walks, I didn't go out to babysit others who either can't keep up or didn't come prepared.

I like the quiet when alone and often see wildlife in their natural state, not running away from someone talking the entire trip.

If I wanted noise while walking, I could have stayed home and mowed the lawn.

Edited by cerberus1

I like the quiet when alone and often see wildlife in their natural state, not running away from someone talking the entire trip.

If I wanted noise while walking, I could have stayed home and mowed the lawn.

I come from a very loud family. We all have tendency to talk a lot, and family doings are usually noisy. However, when I was a very little kid my father taught us that being very quiet on the trail has great rewards.

It is odd, but when the family goes hiking, we are often the quietest group of hikers on the trail. As a result we have seen a lot of wildlife we may have missed.

This includes the nieces, nephews, cousins, etc. that hiked with my father many years ago. It was a lesson that stuck. B):)

I cache with my hubby about half the time. The rest is solo and often when traveling. When alone I am mindful of staying in cell range and not pushing the limits. I have walked away from several caches when going solo that I would have went for with my hubby. Trees, slopes, thick brush, a very upset goose. I evaluate risk differently when I'm on my own.

I also will plan lower difficulty caches on a solo trip.

I prefer caching alone, gets me the away time needed to keep me sane. 90% of my caches it is no big deal, worst thing I have to deal with is a tick, or a friendly farm dog. But I do have a survival kit in my car - 80% of which can fit on me for a brisk hike if needed. Probably a little extreme, but I will be prepared for 3-7 days if the zombie apocalypse ever comes down the road. 3 most important things - 1. GPS enabled cell phone/spare battery until they perfect the solar charger. Worst case scenario - text a pick with GPS coords to rescue crew. 2. As much drinking water as you can carry (always more than you think). 3. Good pair of shoes.

You know, this topic has been cropping up in my mind for the past couple of months. For the duration of my caching experiences (found my first one in 2004, been kind of hit and miss until recently), I've always had my kids (and particularly my son) along with me on just about every caching thing I've done. It's dawned on me recently that he'll be a Junior in high school this year, and maybe our as team players is at the end of a very good run. I've been asked "What are you going to do when he's gone?" I'll probably keep caching, most likely solo (although my wife will come along from time to time). It's hard for me to imagine what the hobby will be like without him manning the GPSr, but at least I'll have some all time great memories.

We cache as a family until the kids get old enough or think its not cool to spend time with their parents anymore but I always carry sidearm for protection it has come in handy a few times with wildlife and once with guy thinking he was going to rob a gas station while my family was in it needless to say he ended up rethinking his options.

I'm a loner, but everything I look for is either urban or suburban. Occasionally my wife and kids will come along, but they never really look all that hard. Instead, it's really just me doing the searching while they find some activity to do while they wait for me. I've tried getting them interested, but it's not exciting to them. So essentially I just have to find whatever cache I can in the spare time I have - lunch hours, on the way to or from work, running errands, etc. It's why I'm only at 165 after seven months. Frankly, I actually am proud of having that many considering how infrequently I get to go hunting.

I sometimes hike alone. I was in the woods looking for a geocache and enjoying that peaceful "balm for my soul" feeling when I looked around and asked myself, what would you do if you saw a bear a few feet away. That's when I started carrying bear spray. I also carry a cell phone, but many places around here don't have cell phone reception.

I do love that quiet feeling of being in the woods alone. I used to camp with my family as a kid. I was always the first one up and about exploring the area. I'd forgotten about that wonderful feeling of being out in nature that I used to know until I started geocaching which put me in touch with that feeling again. To me the worst geocaches I do are the ones in the busy, bustling city that require stealth to avoid detection by others. Give me a walk in the woods.

I've lived here all my life so I have a pretty good feel for the area. The growing number of larger predators- coyotes and mountain lions- do give me some concern and I never go where I don't feel comfortable just to get a geocache. I also have a Nervous Nell for a mother who will readily call out the National Guard if I'm a few minutes late.

geocaching dont need to specially dangerous or hardcore before it is fun..

offcourse the more hard stuff it is more safe and also more fun to do together with others,

you pick your own challenge, and accept the risk in all you do.

Edited by OZ2CPU