tracking codes not recognised

GisnLiz

We have retrieved a TB with a Geocaching.com code but the site does not recognise this code. Can we still log the find? How? GisnLiz

You cannot "retrieve" the TB if the site does not recognize the code.

The typical cause of what you report is that you have mis-read the tracking code.

O ≠ 0; B ≠ 8; Z ≠ 2; S ≠ 5; I ≠ 1

Common mistake.

We have retrieved a TB with a Geocaching.com code but the site does not recognise this code. Can we still log the find? How? GisnLiz

The typical cause of what you report is that you have mis-read the tracking code.

Common mistake.

Common mistake.

Definitely not mis read code - its clearly stamped. could this trackable have been declared 'lost'? It was not listed in the cache inventory when we picked it up.

The number is Trackable regardless.

Which cache? Did anyone mention placing the TB? Don't post a TB number, but a photo or description may help. Did you mention in the cache log that you have a problem with that TB?

A new Travel Bug is just a tag (or two) in a sealed plastic pouch. Is that what you found?

Edited by kunarion

I'm guessing it was this cache where you found the tb:

http://coord.info/GC48DBB

Even if a trackable has been marked as "missing", it can still be logged if it's found again. You would need to log it as "grabbed".

More than likely, someone else has mis-logged the tb and just dropped it in a cache, hoping things will get straightened out by other cachers.

Any info you can provide for the tb would be helpful. What is attached to the tags?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'm guessing it was this cache where you found the tb:

http://coord.info/GC48DBB

Even if a trackable has been marked as "missing", it can still be logged if it's found again. You would need to log it as "grabbed".

More than likely, someone else has mis-logged the tb and just dropped it in a cache, hoping things will get straightened out by other cachers.

Any info you can provide for the tb would be helpful. What is attached to the tags?

B.

TB is Papa Smurf. Found in GC1V303 in UK. Looking in the list of TBs previously logged in this cache it was there on March 13 this year & is now cache Koffiedoos in Belgium!! (If it is the same Papa Smurf. this one has different mouth than pic I found). As said before I have tried to log it 'grabbed' & 'retrieved' but the code on the tag is not being recognised.

TB is Papa Smurf. Found in GC1V303 in UK. Looking in the list of TBs previously logged in this cache it was there on March 13 this year & is now cache Koffiedoos in Belgium!! (If it is the same Papa Smurf. this one has different mouth than pic I found). As said before I have tried to log it 'grabbed' & 'retrieved' but the code on the tag is not being recognised.

GC1V303 is in Germany.

http://coord.info/GC1V303

There is nothing like a Papa Smurf in the past trackables for GC1V303.

I think you meant GC1V3Q3:

http://coord.info/GC1V3Q3

Quite a difference one character can make.

B.

GC1V303 is in Germany.

http://coord.info/GC1V303

There is nothing like a Papa Smurf in the past trackables for GC1V303.

I think you meant GC1V3Q3:

http://coord.info/GC1V3Q3

Quite a difference one character can make.

B.

This makes me wonder if you are trying to record your TB action only on the Papa Smurf's TB page. If it is not the same Smurf TB, it won't work. Have you made an attempt by entering the code on the geocaching trackables page? HERE

Sorry sorry, yes code is GC1V3Q3 & a Papa Smurf is listed on page 17 of past trackables. If same TB. The code we have is clear and not recognised by the site however I try to log it. Getting frustrated now.

IF it is the same tb, then the tracking code on it must work, or else it wouldn't be logged in to that cache.

HOWEVER....

I did a search for tb's by name "Papa Smurf" and got 5 or 6 pages of results with that name or a variant. :o

B.

Yes I have tried to find it on 'trackable home lookup' page but just get 'code does not exist on the system'. Obviously its not the same Papa Smurf. The tag says trackable at geocaching .com - but it isn't - is there any other way to find it or do I just lose it?

Yes I have tried to find it on 'trackable home lookup' page but just get 'code does not exist on the system'. Obviously its not the same Papa Smurf. The tag says trackable at geocaching .com - but it isn't - is there any other way to find it or do I just lose it?

Send an email or private message to Eartha the moderator. If you can, send a clear photo of the tag with the tracking number on it to her.

If you go to this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312124

and click on the envelope icon, you can send a private message to her.

Other than trying other combinations of characters, I can't think of anything else to do.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I will try the 'private message ' route and see where it leads. Thanks for all your help. Liz

Kacher82 -- no definately not new, its a well travelled Papa! But I suppose the tag could be new. I just don't know how or where its been logged before.( if it has!!)

I will try the 'private message ' route and see where it leads. Thanks for all your help. Liz

Eartha may be able to straighten things out.

I'd suggest that when cachers have a strange logging problem with a TB that they just plain can't fix, to place the TB into a cache -- even the same container it was taken from. Maybe with a photo in the log. Usually, the cache logs say only Took or Placed Trackable, and nobody can figure out which one it may be.

It is extremely hard for many cachers to unscramble TB logs, and super easy to scramble them. So the best plan is, once cachers run out of ideas, to make a personal note of the Tracking Number for their own reference later, and to place the TB into a cache.