Garmin GPS45

darweg

I moved from Australia to North Carolina 3 years ago, bringing with me my GPS45. I have tried several times to get it working with no success. It acquires only 1 satellite, after leaving it in a set position for over an hour. Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

That is a pretty robust model, not much different than our ancient GPS12.

An hour should've been long enough. BUT, it uses a receiving antenna that doesn't hold a candle to the current crop of GPSr units.

One little hint that may well be of use: Through the main menu, locate Settings, Start-up, or something akin to that. In there, you will find a long list of geographical locations. You should highlight and choose the location that you are currently in.

That should help it to key in on the proper satellites to search for.

Also, it cannot be emphasized strongly enough -- a clear and open view of the sky. No buildings, trees or power lines.

It does need plenty of time to search, analyze and construct a satellite database for use. Once done, later start-ups will be a "breeze".

One little hint that may well be of use: Through the main menu, locate Settings, Start-up, or something akin to that. In there, you will find a long list of geographical locations. You should highlight and choose the location that you are currently in.

I have a GPS45 right here. :o

Before I posted, I looked through the menu for such a setting, but I can't find one.

The closest I came was a time offset, so maybe changing that would help some? :unsure:

I have a GPS45 right here. :o

Before I posted, I looked through the menu for such a setting, but I can't find one.

The closest I came was a time offset, so maybe changing that would help some? :unsure:

I suppose it is possible that it doesn't.

Reflecting back, a friend of ours also has a GPS12. In all respects it is identical to ours, but it also is missing that location directory/setting. One would've thought that a GPS12 would've been just like another GPS12 -- but nooooo!

EDIT: I just looked at the GPS45 manual and it does not indicate that particular option :( .

Available for download here: GPS45 .

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

AHA!

I reviewed the manual, and the answer is to manually set the co-ordinates on the position screen.

The GPS 45 Position Page displays your current

position’s latitude, longitude, altitude and time

numerically. It also displays your track (compass

direction) and speed whenever you’re moving.

The Position Page also lets you enter a position’s

latitude and longitude manually. During satellite

acquisition, the position displayed is the last com-

puted position stored in memory. If the receiver’s

position has moved several hundred miles with the

power off or memory has been lost due to battery

f a i l u r

e, the unit may take 7 1/2 to 15 minutes to

a c q u i r

e satellite data.

To speed up the acquisition process, you can enter

a

m o r

e accurate initial position. Most maps and char

t s

show the latitude and longitude of major cities.

1. Press the

D

key until the position field is

highlighted.

2. Press

E

to begin entry of your position.

3 Use the

L

and

R

arrow keys to select the

character position you want to edit.

4. Use the

U

and

D

arrow keys to select the

value for each field. All fields must have a value.

5. Press the

E

key to confirm your changes

Sorry about the lousy formatting, but I don't have time to fix it right now. :P

"The GPS 45 Position Page displays your current position’s latitude, longitude, altitude and time

numerically. It also displays your track (compass direction) and speed whenever you’re moving.

The Position Page also lets you enter a position’s latitude and longitude manually. During satellite

acquisition, the position displayed is the last computed position stored in memory. If the receiver’s

position has moved several hundred miles with the power off or memory has been lost due to battery

failure, the unit may take 7 1/2 to 15 minutes to acquire satellite data.

To speed up the acquisition process, you can enter a more accurate initial position. Most maps and charts

show the latitude and longitude of major cities.

1. Press the D key until the position field is highlighted.

2. Press E to begin entry of your position.

3 Use the L and R arrow keys to select the character position you want to edit.

4. Use the U and D arrow keys to select the value for each field. All fields must have a value.

5. Press the E key to confirm your changes."

Okay... reading that I went and got my manual. The 45XL is the last version, and has different software version from the 45. So the above may be the original method.

Can't confirm that that is the only way, I'll check my notes. My 45XL has a 'power up' key + hold while pressing power on instruction that forces the device initialization screen. You can select a location from that list. Also helps to set the timezone etc.

In fact that may be the same process, but it sounds a bit different to me. However, sometimes the thing just takes a while to find itself.

Another point is that if it's been off a while, it has to download a complete almanac and ephemeris data set. That is what takes the time, since the processor is slower than todays and it has a lower set of channel (8) slots for receiving data. I don't think it takes all the satelites to locate, but it does take a while to get the information download. Fresh batteries or external power is required, and get that antenna in the clear and vertical, Don't leave it folded alongside either. It also wants/ likes to sit very still, don't keep moving it around or picking it up. I should do the process on mine for this year, since it is still my backup unit and still works well given it's limitations. Good unit for less precise navigation and still finds lots of caches in good conditions (for it that is).

Edit: Some version differences noted 45 vs 45XL for one. XL wants an empty memory for faster results. Being battery out for a period will do that, or there is a forgotten by me key sequence on start up (still looking).

However it seems the manual says that the EZinit screen can be had by being on the satellite status screen (circles and strength bars) and pressing enter. Remember that is the 45XL, but might work with the 45 or not.

Hope cleaning up the other instruction set might help you.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Found a site that says a soft reset on the 45 would be to have it on and then hold the 'light' button for 3 to 4 seconds or so. This forces a restart with things cleared. I don't have one that old so I can't vouch for it.

I did see a note or two indicating that the 45 might need quite a wait to resolve it by itself. External power might help there. There was also mention of the fact that there is a capacitor internally that holds memory functions while changing batteries, but it does not last for ever.. or even too long, I never pushed mine, but yes a few days for sure and stored stuff goes for sure if the batteries are out. That is the Hard reset route.

On a few cases they mentioned putting in fresh batteries and waiting for that to recharge from the batteries, GPS remains OFF for a day or so. Not mine, just read that, but it makes sense, some of my radios do the same thing.

For the 45XL the key to clear things out is to shut down... wait a short while, the press and hold the Mark button and then Power on while still holding. I have to do that soon on mine, but I remember it getting the EZinit screen and choosing the country/province you are in. I will play some more soon, but my notes are lost on another computer that is down. Problem is in software generations, maybe hardware as well.

Anwway, I know my 45XL does all of this and has to be brought back and always has come back regardless of the route taken. Had it since 96 and always have used it, just not this year... yet. Need to have some dry weather to sit out at the wide open park while it does it's thing... has taken hours in the past. I take a book.

Doug 7rxc