Caching on the way to Glasgow 2014

Hi all,

You will all be aware that the commonwealth games are coming to Glasgow in 2014 and I feel it could be the best year for caching in Scotland next year. So what I am thinking is quite a few new caches on roads that are likely to be used on the way to the games by lots of people and hide a mix of drive-by micros and some larger and harder caches too. I am hoping that some other Scottish cachers agree so we can work together to create a popular place to cache during the games next year. Please reply with any comments and suggestions you have.

Hi All

Some of you will be aware of the Haggis Highway some may not. There are plans in place that will see the Haggis Highway run from the Border of Scotland & England to join up with the route that is currently in the Edinburgh area.

We are not part of the organising committee for the MEGA event but do speak with them!

We currently have teams operating in the Highland, Grampian, Tayside, Perthshire, Stirling, Lanark, Edinburgh, Lothians and the East Borders but require some volunteers for the South & West of Scotland also Dumbarton & Argyll!

If anyone should wish to participate in the project or has some plans of their own could you possibly let me know and if you plan do do something on your own we could liaise with you regarding any potential conflicts.

You can PM me through facebook - Geocaching In Scotland or as Highland Haggi.

I'm probably the only one, but I didn't actually know that the Commonwealth Games were being played there next year, so thanks for that.

Hopefully caches will not need to be disabled for this as they were for the Olympics. It might be worth trying to find out before making plans.

Hi all,

You will all be aware that the commonwealth games are coming to Glasgow in 2014 and I feel it could be the best year for caching in Scotland next year. So what I am thinking is quite a few new caches on roads that are likely to be used on the way to the games by lots of people and hide a mix of drive-by micros and some larger and harder caches too. I am hoping that some other Scottish cachers agree so we can work together to create a popular place to cache during the games next year. Please reply with any comments and suggestions you have.

Hi, GilkerscleughCachers,

Oh Dear, where to begin, the answer to your question is yes though with reservations , we have budgeted for caches in our projections albeit full sized boxes [ micros will turn into a nightmare to maintain with the potential numbers over a short time ] , there are cache trails in the planning with South Ayrshire Council; The Robert the Bruce trail ; and the William Wallace trail both running in South Ayrshire for Ayr to Ballantrae. there are trails in Arran and Millport [and more in the pipeline]. and slightly further North is the caches on Bute mostly placed by "Billy Twigger"

Re the Commonwealth Games , they are both a blessing and a concern, the concern is that our Mega will take place on Saturday 2nd , which is the final day of the games, this itself isn't an issue for anyone travelling to Ayrshire from The South, but may require those coming from the North to rethink their routes to avoid Glasgow. There is already a cache series following the old A74 route from the Borders for anyone wishing a break from M74 driving , though no doubt this could be expanded.

Highland Haggi's post is looking to extend their series , perhaps you could volunteer to help them. I have to say that the focus of the 2014 event will be Ayrshirecentric ( is that a word ??? ) regarding new caches ..anyway you get the drift ...

Slainte Bob

I'm probably the only one, but I didn't actually know that the Commonwealth Games were being played there next year, so thanks for that.

Hopefully caches will not need to be disabled for this as they were for the Olympics. It might be worth trying to find out before making plans.

Answer to this is yes , we have made enquires , only one park in Glasgow will be affected and may require temp .measures.

Thanks

Hi All

Some of you will be aware of the Haggis Highway some may not. There are plans in place that will see the Haggis Highway run from the Border of Scotland & England to join up with the route that is currently in the Edinburgh area.

We are not part of the organising committee for the MEGA event but do speak with them!

We currently have teams operating in the Highland, Grampian, Tayside, Perthshire, Stirling, Lanark, Edinburgh, Lothians and the East Borders but require some volunteers for the South & West of Scotland also Dumbarton & Argyll!

If anyone should wish to participate in the project or has some plans of their own could you possibly let me know and if you plan do do something on your own we could liaise with you regarding any potential conflicts.

You can PM me through facebook - Geocaching In Scotland or as Highland Haggi.

Please don't launch another 1,000 all an the same day again. It caused me no end of problems with date range PQs. :huh:

My Idea would be to expand the concept on the old A74 expanding further up to Douglas placing 7 caches between Douglas and Abington and one new one between Crawford & Elvanfoot and replace caches that have been archived due to ill-maintaince between Elvanfoot and Beattock. The main issue is time really. The Haggis Highway from the Edinburgh area could be expanded down the A702 to Abington. I have always thought of hiding caches in a couple of the villages of the A702 near to Biggar so that could work. Not all of these caches were Micro's. There would be a mix of small and regular too. Maybe a large cache might pop up near the end of my driveway in the coming weeks. The main idea is to target the tourist routes as they will be most commonly used.

And by the way, I did hear of Mega Scotland 2014 and I will see if anything comes up.

Will there be a suspension of caches around Glasgow and other Commonwealth Games 2014 venues, eg Chris Hoy cycle stadium in Edinburgh, in the same way as London Olympics & Paralympics 2012? Partly answered above about one park, presumably in Glasgow?

Edited by Copepod