Pocket Query stops at state line

acachebox

Just wondering why you still use PQ's. so many programs now have API access which is really easy.

Anyone, regardless of platform, can use PQs.

However, users of Macs, AFAIK, don't yet have an API-powered program they can use to download caches, at least according to this page (I couldn't find any under "Desktop" that appear to be available for Mac).

Personally, I use PQs because I can have them scheduled to automatically run several times a week. I don't know of an API-powered program that can do that.

Just wondering why you still use PQ's. so many programs now have API access which is really easy.

Anyone, regardless of platform, can use PQs.

However, users of Macs, AFAIK, don't yet have an API-powered program they can use to download caches, at least according to this page (I couldn't find any under "Desktop" that appear to be available for Mac).

Personally, I use PQs because I can have them scheduled to automatically run several times a week. I don't know of an API-powered program that can do that.

Several cachers have suggested the GSAK program. I am interested and if anyone knows of a tutorial please post it.

Several cachers have suggested the GSAK program. I am interested and if anyone knows of a tutorial please post it.

Firstly, GSAK is windows only...but you can run it in a windows emulator.

The program itself comes with a really comprehensive help section.

You don't need to pay for the program to download it and give it a try.

Their forum is filled with helpful users waiting to assist.

Firstly, GSAK is windows only...but you can run it in a windows emulator.

The program itself comes with a really comprehensive help section.

You don't need to pay for the program to download it and give it a try.

Their forum is filled with helpful users waiting to assist.

I loaded GSAK and read the Get Started pdf. The program locked up my computer did nothing of what the pdf said it would on start up and after an hour I removed it from the computer. Now i am sure the program works but i just don't have the time at this point to work through it

My issue right now is getting PQ files from my computer to the GPS. I thought it was a simple plug in but I must have missed something.

I use GSAK, but I don't care for their system of retrieving caches through the API. I have a weekly PQ set up for that reason. I do use the API for refreshing cache status, as the PQ doesn't include archived caches.

I loaded GSAK and read the Get Started pdf. The program locked up my computer did nothing of what the pdf said it would on start up and after an hour I removed it from the computer. Now i am sure the program works but i just don't have the time at this point to work through it

Bummer.

But as I said, there are folks on their forums who can help.

I have gotten the PQ to the GPX file on my computer and plugged in the Garmin. How do I know or can I check to see if the files transferred?

Additional question. If I search on the Garmin by GC number for a cach that I know is in the garmin it come back no result found.

If I attempt to type in a cache by name the Garmin will fill in results after 3 letters are typed with results that have nothing to do with what I am searching for. Is this a setting issue and if so where do i change it.

Edited by acachebox

Additional question. If I search on the Garmin by GC number for a cach that I know is in the garmin it come back no result found.

It would help if you tell us what type of GPS you have. Garmin has a varied product line and while most of the newer models seem to have the same basic functionality there are differences among the models. Generally Garmins can's search by GC number.

If I attempt to type in a cache by name the Garmin will fill in results after 3 letters are typed with results that have nothing to do with what I am searching for. Is this a setting issue and if so where do i change it.

Unlike the web site, Garmin searches for the text anywhere in the name which, in the case of a long name, could be in the portion of the name that has been truncated on the the display. For example you might enter THEM searching for "THEMe park monster ride" and the results include "We hate muggles, a cache safe from THEM." In the latter case you would not see the word them on the screen.

As you type, the results pop up in order of distance from your current location, nearest first.

It would help if you tell us what type of GPS you have. Garmin has a varied product line and while most of the newer models seem to have the same basic functionality there are differences among the models. Generally Garmins can's search by GC number.

Garmin 450

Unlike the web site, Garmin searches for the text anywhere in the name which, in the case of a long name, could be in the portion of the name that has been truncated on the the display. For example you might enter THEM searching for "THEMe park monster ride" and the results include "We hate muggles, a cache safe from THEM." In the latter case you would not see the word them on the screen.

As you type, the results pop up in order of distance from your current location, nearest first.

Not a very useful function under those rules

Garmin 450

Not a very useful function under those rules

GSAK works like that. As you start typing, the program starts filtering. The more you type, the shorter the list gets. I don't have a problem with it, and it works way better than GS's system.

So just a question on PQs. I'm going camping in Germany in Sept and plan on getting a premium membership so I can get all the caches in the area we're staying at in one go. Will I have to wait and do that in Germany then? Or can I do it here from the Netherlands?

You would probably want to wait until the last minute so you have the best information possible, but you could download the PQ from anywhere there is an internet connection.