Muggles in this day and age?

:anitongue:

So anyone but me amazed there are so many Muggles? I when asked what I am doing tell them and they look at me with blank stares. Its been on News (when geocaches mistaken for bombs) TV shows, low budget movies. Then you have geocachers friends families and co-workers. Yet people do not know maybe that's good.

You might be surprised just how many have heard about it, but it never "clicked" in their mind when they heard it, so now..... they don't know nuttin'...

Geocaching is (fairly) well covered by differing media -- different reasons, too -- but unless they have no contact whatsoever with the outside world, they just don't "remember" hearing about it.

Typical failing of the human brain. Not a put-down, that's just the way it is.

How many of you would know what I'm talking about if I saw I put a 15 turn motor in my Axial and upgraded to a Spektrum. That would be RC cars-not cheap ones for your kids, these are very fast, very high torque, and very expensive.

Or paintball, or airsoft? I've talked to a lot of people who listen to country music, but they have never heard of Corb Lund, even though his song might have just been on...

They have heard of it, but have not had a reason to make a connection, until it's "What are you doing" or a friend.family member starts caching.

How many of you would know what I'm talking about if I saw I put a 15 turn motor in my Axial and upgraded to a Spektrum. That would be RC cars-not cheap ones for your kids, these are very fast, very high torque, and very expensive.

I'm not into cars, but I recently finished building a SPAD, that I haven't flown yet. I don't spend a lot on that hobby, though. I still use the 72 megahertz (and the same kind of .46 engine) that came with my first RTF.

I'm not surprised about the number of muggles. I wouldn't know about geocaching if I hadn't been curious about what I could do with my dad's Nuvi.

How many people here know where the term "muggle" came from? Unless you've read the books, or watched the movies, you'd probably be ignorant of it.

You think Geocaching is obscure and few people in the general public know about it? Try high-powered rocketry. Our "big" launch - LDRS - has been on the Discovery Channel several times along with the Science channel in 2009, 2011 (I was at that one), and 2012 and I still get blank stares when I tell folks that it's not unusual to be at a launch with 10k foot (or higher) flights many of which go way past mach...That's why I like Geocaching sometimes, at least some folks have heard of it.

Edited by davetherocketguy

I'm kicking myself for not having gotten into this years ago! Back around 2005 or so, a friend (David Lawrence, RIP) mentioned he had just discovered the fun, but I didn't think much at the time. I'd read several articles in mainstream sources and found the idea intriguing but still I didn't bite. It took an article that pointed out there were over 200 of caches within a radius of my own area for me to take notice. Now I'm trying to get my friends involved. They've all heard of geocaching and have been wanting to try it, but haven't yet gotten the needed motivation yet.

I discovered it by accident. I did an internet search (can't remember for what now) but something about geocaching came up as a result. I said "what the heck is geocaching?" and it's been a learning experience from there. Don't forget that geocaching is a relatively new sport/activity. I think it's going to become more popular along with the advances in technology and I fear that's not a good thing for the future of geocaching...

... Really? I know folks who post on a geocaching message board spend a lot of time thinking about it, but frankly stop and think how many random hobbies you encounter others having which you've only vaguely heard of (if at all). I'm never surprised.

It's also worth thinking of outside the U.S. For example, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has a population of 4.3 million people in the metro area but only 1 geocache in the city (although there are now 3 "new" ones that were placed since the last time I was there on an offshore island). That's a lot of muggles.

It's also worth thinking of outside the U.S. For example, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has a population of 4.3 million people in the metro area but only 1 geocache in the city (although there are now 3 "new" ones that were placed since the last time I was there on an offshore island). That's a lot of muggles.

For that matter, China and India, with 2.5 billion citizens or 36% of the world's population, only have a combined total of 668 caches, many of which are vacation caches. That's a huge number of muggles!

I found it amazing to know that most of my caching friends did not know who Phil "the Power" Taylor was, did not recognize Michael Van Gerwin, and and couldn't care less that James Wade dumped Gemma in favor of Sammi. And this is for something that is extremely popular (in many countries), has an international following, is regularly televised, streamed on the internet, has been the subject of songs, music videos, and low budget films, was featured on, 60 Minutes Sports earlier this year, written about in books, involves the essence of drama, can be enjoyed with a good beer, and is a metaphor for life itself. Go figure.

I never knew about Bronies until my daughter told me about them, and then it was hard to believe. I probably would never have known about caching if my daughter had not stumbled on a box several years ago on a class trip and wanted to show it to me. So I am amazed at how much knowledge people actually have about things that may be of no interest to them. And how much knowledge I wish I did not have about things that should be of no interest to anyone. Its a strange world.

But sometimes I wonder if too many people know about this game.

Edited by geodarts

You think Geocaching is obscure and few people in the general public know about it? Try high-powered rocketry. Our "big" launch - LDRS - has been on the Discovery Channel several times along with the Science channel in 2009, 2011 (I was at that one), and 2012 and I still get blank stares when I tell folks that it's not unusual to be at a launch with 10k foot (or higher) flights many of which go way past mach...That's why I like Geocaching sometimes, at least some folks have heard of it.

I wish I could do that. We are too close to both Canadian and British bases, and a handfull of R&D and even a manufacturer of drones to try that without having a visit from a Gazelle Heli.

I wish I could do that. We are too close to both Canadian and British bases, and a handfull of R&D and even a manufacturer of drones to try that without having a visit from a Gazelle Heli.

Have you tried getting a hold of these folks? (I am assuming you live in Canada)

http://www.canadianrocketry.org/

There might be a club close enough to be worthwhile...

Not worth it. Problem is too close to military area's....anyway it's getting off topic.

So anyone but me amazed there are so many Muggles? I when asked what I am doing tell them and they look at me with blank stares. Its been on News (when geocaches mistaken for bombs) TV shows, low budget movies. Then you have geocachers friends families and co-workers. Yet people do not know maybe that's good.

When someone asks me what I'm doing (this is a bit off topic, sorry) I tell them 1 of 3 things, depending on the cache I am looking for.

1-"I dropped my purse and am looking for an earring that fell out."

2-"Pretty tree huh?"

3-"Just waiting for someone."

I also think that as a short 30 something female I am far less suspicious looking than other people. I can behave in a more suspicious way than other people. My husband on the other hand who is over 6 feet tall and very large and bearded finds he is more conspicuous and is more often asked what he's doing.

... Really? I know folks who post on a geocaching message board spend a lot of time thinking about it, but frankly stop and think how many random hobbies you encounter others having which you've only vaguely heard of (if at all). I'm never surprised.

Actually in a situation like that I think you'd still have issues even if everyone knew what geocaching was just because you're a mzungu (white person). :anitongue:

Well that and the locals would likely steal the geocache...

I found out about geocaching purely by accident 2 1/2 years ago, by a post on a local message board.

That's the only time I've seen geocaching being discussed on that message board.

I don't see geocaching everywhere, at least in my area, it's not.

Like you said, maybe this is a GOOD thing.

There are so many people that seem to join the game, place caches and disappear. Do we really need more of that?

Actually in a situation like that I think you'd still have issues even if everyone knew what geocaching was just because you're a mzungu (white person). :anitongue:

Well that and the locals would likely steal the geocache...

That happens here anyway. Of course, if you have 5,000 caches in your city and one gets stolen, no big deal. If you only have the one cache, though.....

I've been thinking about this a lot recently... I joined the game a couple of years ago but it's really grabbed me this summer (the little one is a bit older and more willing to walk for example) but... I was actually searching the threads for some advice about muggles...and well... (I'll get to the related point in a minute) you see, I get quite 'frightened' or rather nervous about Geocaching (when I get to GZ and getting caught by either muggles or other geocachers!! It's a real problem for me as it often stops me from loitering too long and finding the cache! SO was looking for some advise about that if anyone can advise but...back to the topic...

I introduced some close family members to it this summer to help me get out more and also because I wanted to share something that is really fun and would be great for their families too. But I'm kind of worried that the exponential growth of this could have tragic consequences for the game! ahhhhh... I don't want them telling everyone they know!! And I kind of feel very protective over it. <sigh> Anyway, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than find a geocache... Is it 'normal' to get so obsessed spending HOURS looking at the maps and doing different pocket queries!!?? That's another thread though I guess! Thanks for having me :-)

I tend to be able to avoid the muggles since I normally cache after I get off work at 2330(local time). Caching at night you tend to run into less people. In a way I kinda like it, but I also don't get to meet local geocachers as well.

So if muggles are your concern, cache at times they are less likely to be around.

Not amazing at all, any more than I'm amazed that despite the media saturation I still couldn't tell you anything at all about the latest Big Brother contestants. The reason is simple - I don't care about the show and don't care about the contestants and so tune out media coverage of it.

Not amazing at all, any more than I'm amazed that despite the media saturation I still couldn't tell you anything at all about the latest Big Brother contestants. The reason is simple - I don't care about the show and don't care about the contestants and so tune out media coverage of it.

X2... There is no such thing as a reality TV show... oh wait, America's Funniest Videos is as close as you are gonna get LOL

Just joined 2 weeks ago - some friends introduced us to it and we are hooked and no I'd never heard about it. Now seeing fellow cachers gathering around caches we have found and amazed I never worked it out before as a keen dog walker and runner - my local park is full of them. Found 10 in 2 weeks as I'm out and about with kids and dogs - lovely to widen walks and runs... 'we are hooked and yes I'm recommending them to muggles I know would love it but can appreciate the need for rules and respect for the activity.

Just joined 2 weeks ago - some friends introduced us to it and we are hooked and no I'd never heard about it. Now seeing fellow cachers gathering around caches we have found and amazed I never worked it out before as a keen dog walker and runner - my local park is full of them. Found 10 in 2 weeks as I'm out and about with kids and dogs - lovely to widen walks and runs... 'we are hooked and yes I'm recommending them to muggles I know would love it but can appreciate the need for rules and respect for the activity.

love I'm a tadpole!

I've been thinking about this a lot recently... I joined the game a couple of years ago but it's really grabbed me this summer (the little one is a bit older and more willing to walk for example) but... I was actually searching the threads for some advice about muggles...and well... (I'll get to the related point in a minute) you see, I get quite 'frightened' or rather nervous about Geocaching (when I get to GZ and getting caught by either muggles or other geocachers!! It's a real problem for me as it often stops me from loitering too long and finding the cache! SO was looking for some advise about that if anyone can advise but...back to the topic...

I introduced some close family members to it this summer to help me get out more and also because I wanted to share something that is really fun and would be great for their families too. But I'm kind of worried that the exponential growth of this could have tragic consequences for the game! ahhhhh... I don't want them telling everyone they know!! And I kind of feel very protective over it. <sigh> Anyway, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than find a geocache... Is it 'normal' to get so obsessed spending HOURS looking at the maps and doing different pocket queries!!?? That's another thread though I guess! Thanks for having me :-)

I find that if you act like you belong at the scene and can project a confident attitude most people ignore you.

Edited by Heli Leo

I find that if you act like you belong at the scene and can project a confident attitude most people ignore you.

True, very true. But in geocaching you don't act like you belong. Once you start trying-acting like you belong, or trying to be sneaky-you start drawing attention. The thing is you do belong. You are doing nothing wrong, and it is your job to be there. The thing is, muggles don't need to know why you belong there.

True, very true. But in geocaching you don't act like you belong. Once you start trying-acting like you belong, or trying to be sneaky-you start drawing attention. The thing is you do belong. You are doing nothing wrong, and it is your job to be there. The thing is, muggles don't need to know why you belong there.

I would disagree to a point, I have avoided drawing attention, after the fact, by telling them what it is I am doing when asked. I also spend most of my caching time at night anyway, and have been approached by the local police once in a while. Again, I tell them exactly what I am doing and why, we then have a good laugh, shake hands and part ways. I would not be the least surprised to find a few of them looking it up and joining the hobby.

Just my opinion, but if more people knew, there's a chance that less caches would be "muggled" and would stay in place longer without interference.