What does the community think about absent owners?

<_< So I will find caches I like to see who the owner is so I look at the profile. Some time I see they have not logged in a year or two. So I look at their other hides and 80% already archived. So my question should their be a point your account goes on temp "frozen status" and after a set more time the caches are archived or given up for adoption or fostercache care until they come back????? :blink:

So if the haven't logged in, and given up on geocaching they they get punished by not being allowed to log in?

There are many caches still in good shape, and the CO hasn't logged in in a long time. And then there are cell phone cachers. Caching on a smartphone with certain apps, will not show you as being logged in. It could say Last logged in September 2012, but their last find was today.

And then they could always create a new account....

EDIT to add;

Groundspeak has not allowed forced adoptions. The physical cache is property of the CO, so they can't say someone else owns it. It's like saying you don't drive your car so I can just have it. And caches will not be archived of there are no issues with them(no reason to)

If there are issues the proper course is to log a NM log. If it has been done and no-one did anything about it, then log a NA log saying that the cache needs maintenance and the CO is inactive. The reviewer will archive it as necessary.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I'm not sure what "temp freezing" their account would accomplish. If the CO is gone, they're gone and freezing the account won't clean up the mess they've left behind. If they're gone, they obviously won't be placing any new caches anyway. So, freezing the account really doesn't do anything.

Groundspeak does not own the geocaches, so adopting them out can only happen if the CO initiates the process.

The system works pretty well as is. If a CO drops out of geocaching, their listing remains active as long as the cache is in place and in decent repair (as it should...why archive a good cache just because the owner no longer logs in?). If the cache goes missing or is badly in need of maintainance, the proper logs (NM or NA) by other geocachers will set the ball in motion to having the cache archived. In Wisconsin, once a cache is archived and the owner is no longer around, the cache gets added to the Cache Rescue list and someone goes to collect whatever remains there may be or confirms that the entire cache is gone.

If the geocache is OK, then it doesn't matter if the owner's gone or not. I've found alot of caches recently where the owner is long gone, but the cache is OK. No point disabling or archiving such caches.

I have seen our reviewer treat absentee owners a little different when it comes to archiving for a missing cache. If the owner hasn't logged on for a long time, the reviewer will often archive the cache right away rather than giving them a 30-day warning first.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

If the geocache is OK, then it doesn't matter if the owner's gone or not. I've found alot of caches recently where the owner is long gone, but the cache is OK. No point disabling or archiving such caches.

I have seen our reviewer treat absentee owners a little different when it comes to archiving for a missing cache. If the owner hasn't logged on for a long time, the reviewer will often archive the cache right away rather than giving them a 30-day warning first.

There are a lot of absent owners in my area. Fully absent no log in no find no new caches. When there is a absent owner and a great cache spot I email them ask if I can help. I wait email again in a month. I hate to archive but dripping wet logs with moldy Mc Donald toys can only wait so long. Well when I leave in 6 months I will remove mine myself or adopt them out. I wont just abandon them that's litter.

If a cache has been thee since 2006 I don't want to archive it.

I was just asking peoples thoughts.

I also see people that create an account place one or two geocaches and never geocache or long on ever like they tried it did not like it and stopped in 1 month

When there is a absent owner and a great cache spot I email them ask if I can help. I wait email again in a month. I hate to archive but dripping wet logs with moldy Mc Donald toys can only wait so long.

All really depends on how responsive your local reviewer is.

If the container's basically good and it's wet because people have opened it in the rain, you can clean it up yourself with wet wipes and a towel. If the container's not waterproof and the contents disgusting, you can go ahead and post a Needs Maintenance, followed by a Needs Archive 1 month later. Our reviewer archives caches that are missing, but occasionally there's a container that's been cracked for a long time and the contents gross, she will archive these as well.

I also see people that create an account place one or two geocaches and never geocache or long on ever like they tried it did not like it and stopped in 1 month

Always been a problem, but it is far more prevalent since the arrival and use of smart phones for geocaching.

A "new" phone user discovers geocaching app, places geocache, never to return again. Partly because they use ONLY the phone, they have never verified their email (it requires a response), and are reverted to the status of an "unverified member". That being the case, it is impossible to email them through their geocaching.com account.

There are also other "types" of here-one-moment-and-gone-the-next cachers, so it is not absolutely unique to being a phone cacher.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

There are caches that are informally maintained by the locals. If you see one that you wish to help, just put it on your watch list. You will get emails with all the logs. What you won't get is PMs or emails from the reviewer. Proposing that a cache get automatically archived due to non activity on the CO account is too broad a policy IMHO. Each situation is unique. That's why there are volunteer reviewers assigned to each area. To make these types of calls.

I don't see the point of locking an account for a cacher who is MIA. Locally there was a cache by a young man that was a good idea but had some issues. He straightened out most of them but sort of faded away and didn't respond to emails about the cache, as teenagers sometimes do. After a while the complaints resulted in the cache being archived. I Fixed the remaining issues and relisted it with a mention of the original owner. A year or two later he checked back in and sent a nice email thanking me for keeping it going. A small example perhaps, but why should he be locked out for losing interest at one point?

How can you find your local reviewer? Is there a listing somewhere?

Check a local cache that has been released recently. That release (the first log - 'publish listing') is always done by a local reviewer and so you can contact him...

Edited by Ginirover

How can you find your local reviewer? Is there a listing somewhere?

Check a local cache that has been released recently. That release (the first log - 'publish listing') is always done by a local reviewer and so you can contact him...

Ahh that just makes too much sense! *laugh* thanks!!!

Unless it was published on April Fool's Day. :rolleyes:

Back OT-there's no reason to add an automated system that would ID caches that have absent owners. As already mentioned, some smart phone apps do not update the last visited field on a profile. People stop caching just like people stop doing other activities. It doesn't mean that their caches aren't still viable. And if you come across ones that aren't being maintained, use the existing tools for reporting those.

Edited by wimseyguy