Categories looking for new officers?

Team 57

We have a thread for Categories that have unresponsive officers. That got me wondering if there are any categories that already have active officers, but need or could use more help?

I remember a post last year sometime where some WMers identified that they were officers/leaders for 30-40 groups. That has got to lead to a lot of waymarks to review... I'm sure there are at least a couple of people willing to help out if we can find out which categories are looking for help (or at least would be willing to receive some help).

Might this be similar to the "Recruiting Groups" link?

The Recruiting Groups link will bring you to a list of groups that have open enrollment turned on, regardless of how active the group is. That link will lead you to an interesting mix of abandoned ideas, voted-down categories, and some actual functioning categories with open enrollment turned on.

I think the OP's intent was to give officers of "understaffed" groups an opportunity to recruit additional officers for their active categories.

As I'm involved in a lot of groups/categories I get often asked if I could add someone.

If I'm the leader and I have inactive or very slow officers I add the person, but normally I try to have only active officers.

In my opinion a category works perfect with 3 persons. The active leader and two active officers. If all three are active, votes are mostly finished within one day. In groups with 6 or 7 officers you could be sure that only three or perhaps four are voting so you have the three days + a limbo.

If I'm only an officer I please the Waymarker to contact the leader. If the leader should be inactive and I think another officer would be good I promote the one.

I would really like to get into the officer side of things here. I have waymarked for 3 or so years but never took the opportunity to get into the other side of the site. I did look through the open categories at different times but that led to nothing. Is would like to get added into one active group to see how this thing works and see how I can proceed from here.

Any ideas on how I should go about this or any offers to bring me aboard?

I would really like to get into the officer side of things here. I have waymarked for 3 or so years but never took the opportunity to get into the other side of the site. I did look through the open categories at different times but that led to nothing. Is would like to get added into one active group to see how this thing works and see how I can proceed from here.

Any ideas on how I should go about this or any offers to bring me aboard?

That's really easy.

Choose the categories you like to help an write a message to the leader.

e.g.

Hi .....

I'd like to help as an officer in your .... category.

Thanks so much,

thegorilla23

If the leader thinks that another officer make sense he will promote you. Perhaps he answers you that at the moment the number of officers is enough, but in the future he will come back to you.

-lumbricus

Thanks lumbricus.

Is it ever the case that an officer or leader notices one of the group members is very active in creating good waymarks in a category and then asks the member if they want to be an officer? Or is it always the other way around?

For some reason, ever since I started Waymarking, I had the naive idea that folks were invited to be promoted. Don't know why I've thought that.

Is it ever the case that an officer or leader notices one of the group members is very active in creating good waymarks in a category and then asks the member if they want to be an officer? Or is it always the other way around?

It can work both ways. When I need an officer in one of my categories I look at the regular members of the group and promote those who have been actively submitting good waymarks in the category. They have demonstrated they know the category requirements.

Edited by BruceS

Is it ever the case that an officer or leader notices one of the group members is very active in creating good waymarks in a category and then asks the member if they want to be an officer?

This can happen. I think about three of my officer ranks I received this way. But the majority was either announced in the recruiting forum or even more I joined right at the beginning, when a new category was being developed.

Popular categories with lots of submissions and active officers have often no need for additional help. They might recognize your submissions well, but they have enough staff and too many officers can be a problem because of potential group vote delays.

Smaller categories need less work and often it is not even noticed when an officer goes absent. Or two. And in the end, there is nobody left to promote you.