Rock Caches

Yuma4

I hate rock caches but I want to make a cache hidden in a rock. I have some old garden stones and access to many types of rocks. does anyone know how to cut/carve a rock so I can place a container inside it? Or is it better to try and creat a mold somehow and cast your own stone?

I own a dremel if it has any attachments. I haven't researched yet.

Thank you

Edited by jakeyuma

I hate rock caches but I want to make a cache hidden in a rock. I have some old garden stones and access to many types of rocks. does anyone know how to cut/carve a rock so I can place a container inside it? Or is it better to try and creat a mold somehow and cast your own stone?

Thank you

Its rather difficult to drill out most rocks. Perhaps you could try some clay from a hobby store and mold it around something that can be heated in an oven. I've seen a few done well with foam sprayed on and painted, but it takes a bit of work and they can be rather delicate.

I have seen 3 types of rock caches. One option is to drill out a hole in a natural rock and glues a bison tube inside the orifice with the cap flush with the surface. The advantage is it will blend with the other rocks in the area (until 300 cachers putntheir grubby paws on it) the disadvantage is that drilling the hole will require speicalized tools to do neatly ( drill press, diamond bit, cutting oil, patience)

The second option is to make a rubber mold and cast a rock out of plastic resin, then paint. Will blend well if you have a good eye for color matching, and you use waterproof paint (try marine grade)

The third option is to go to Groundspeak website and buy a plastic rock, or to the hardware store for a rock key hide. You'll end up looking for a spot to hide it that matches the finish of the rock.

Edited by ras_oscar

It does seem a little contradictory to place a cache style that you don't like.

Aside from that, drilling or coring a rock requires specialized equipment -- unless you have LOTS of time and LOTS of tools to get destroyed by performing that function.

Find and go to a rock shop (lapidary). They can do it for you. Of course, there will be a cost factor to having it done.

You apparently live in an area that should have plenty of rock shops.

This is what I use on large rock and cliff faces that allow anchors.

You'll need special SDS bits, but they're even sold at many hardware stores.

For a small rock, I'd probably go with a drill press and diamond lapidary bits.

A lot of practice, time and money is needed, just to put out a cache similar to a hide-a-key.

It may be cheaper in the long run to have a Lapidary do it for you, if something the size of a bison.

its going to be the hated rock cache in the middle of the desert. I am going to make it fun and one you don't have to search a pile of rocks for. I am making a youth cache area at our upcomming mega event and want to give the kids an example of all the types of caches from easy to hard.

Here's what you do. Dig a large hole in your yard. Fill the hole with wet cement and place an ammo can in it upright with only the lid exposed. Wait until it dries and get some help to pull it up and hide it. You may want to mix some dye in with the cement, as well as find some matching rocks to prop it up on, since it will be upside down and the lid will be sticking out a little.

I tried drilling a hole in a rock once and it was an exercise in perseverance. I originally intended fixing a bison in the hole but after many hours (yes, literally!) of drilling, I had to switch to a much smaller container. The rock has been out in the field for over a year and it regularly gets compliments from other cachers. If I was going to place another rock cache, I'd buy one that is used for hiding keys.

Thank you

A friend of mine created a "rock" cache by taking a limestone rock about 10" wide x 20" long. She drilled out several holes on the back side where a metal hinged lidded box was to be inserted. She then chiseled out between the drilled holes. It worked pretty well. Took her a few hours to do it, but it came out the way she wanted it.

Several interesting ideas here. This is what I have used and seen used as cache containers...

Go to a brick yard and ask for imitation stone. It comes in big pallots or crates and you will get to pick through them to see what you want. There are lots of shapes and styles and sizes. You only need a few and the cost is not that great, maybe $10 square foot should keep you in containers for a while.

Take a minute to look carefully to find what will fit your needs. It doesn't cost that much so get several shapes, sizes and color shades so you can experiment.

When you get home to your shop, turn the stone over to the flat side and drill the proper size hole with a masonry bit. I have some with film cans but I prefer smaller log only containers. Secure the log container in the hole with caulking or glue.

When placing remember the reason you brought the person to the cache location. You could easily place one of these containers among a zillion rocks but how about one well designed container among larger rocks at a vista point? Muggles wont see it but the cacher will eventually figure it out.

Have used some of these in a placed with permission cache in the flower beds in front of a business and it has worked out well.

Cache Happy

Its rather difficult to drill out most rocks. Perhaps you could try some clay from a hobby store and mold it around something that can be heated in an oven. .

^ This. ^ I've made a few fake stones by molding polymer clay around bison tubes. Both Sculpey and Fimo brands make stone-textured clays. I showed my handiwork off at an event and most people thought I had drilled out an actual stone. Combining clays has allowed me to closely match the containers to their surroundings.