Pit Bull chained to the trail sign

This was interesting. Pulled up to the trailhead to seek a cache, some teenagers standing around the parking lot smoking cigarettes had chained their pit bull to the trail sign, which lunged and barked as us as we squeezed past.

I took a picture, but I can't figure out how to include an image with this post. The form keeps wanting an URL, but doesn't give me any options for uploading it.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

I took a picture, but I can't figure out how to include an image with this post. The form keeps wanting an URL, but doesn't give me any options for uploading it.

The trick: upload it to the cache page for the cache you were seeking. Then copy the URL for the picture from the cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

I'm no dog expert but I thought Pit bulls were bigger and had cropped tails. Whatever it is it looks mean.

Mrs. Okie suspects it's a pit bull crossed with a Lab. The shape of the head is consistent with a pit bull, but the stance and body are that of a lab.

Yet more proof that there are way too many people on this planet. I suggest you carry pepper spray. When the dog lunges at you, spray the owner. icon_mad.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:

I'm no dog expert but I thought Pit bulls were bigger and had cropped tails. Whatever it is it looks mean.

Mrs. Okie suspects it's a pit bull crossed with a Lab. The shape of the head is consistent with a pit bull, but the stance and body are that of a lab.

Yet more proof that there are way too many people on this planet. I suggest you carry pepper spray. When the dog lunges at you, spray the owner. icon_mad.gif

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I agree that I wouldn't want to encounter that dog on the trail if he was agnered, but he does not appear to be an APBT. Bull terriers tend to be shorter, blockier and more well-defined musculature. They are not always cropped. In fact 'bobbing' a APBT's trail will disqualify it from UKC competition. In its natural state, the tail of an APBT tends to be

I had the oppurtunity to foster an APBT a while back and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't the monster that the media (and bad dog owners) make them out to be. It was just a big (and very strong) puppy.

I agree with TreOkies, this looks like a lab-mix. Not that this makes a bit of difference, if the dog is angry, give it a wide berth.

I will say that I do, on occasion, temporarily tie Darby's lead to whatever is handy on trail. Most frequently, this is so I can log a cache. The important thing is that the dog remains under the owner's control. If my dog is in the area of another hiker, I give the dog and the hiker instruction. This ensures that everyone is safe and happy.

Makaio ... that was just plain stupid. I'm really glad you or your daughter weren't hurt. We had an incident years ago in a neighborhood my family lived in ... trained doberman ... decided to attack owner and his son while playing frisby ... and I mean aggressively attack ... owner had 16 or so stiches in his arm and dog became an early spring planting object. Up until whatever tripped his trigger .. this dog was doing well with his training and the owner was an above average responsible dog owner. The dog actually attacked the child (4) from a distance of 20 feet and the owner shoved his arm in it's mouth, place an arm around the back of it's head and fell forward on it breaking it's neck. I watched this happen from across the street. Think about all the dog owners out there that shouldn't own a regular dog .. much less an attack dog. Looks like you met their queen.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:

The point being that the dog looks mean. It doesn't matter what kind of dog it is... even little dogs can do a lot of damage... the owner needs to be responsible for the dog at all times. It's not a breed specific problem either. A LOT of the problem is how the dog is raised! flamer.gif

I digress though... a little common sense goes a long way. I'm all in favor of a test before anybody can have a pet to make sure they've got the sense required to be a responsible pet owner.

I was the proud owner of a Pit Bull for 11 years. He was the best dog I've ever had and he absolutely loved people! He was just a big, silly dog.

quote:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

quote:

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I dont even think the head is pit shaped. I own a pit bull terrier, my neighbor owns a straight pit, the ears are all wrong. maybe the head is shaped asimilar but not enough. regardless, dumb asses who don't have their animals in their control deserve whatever happens to them... carry pepper spray. works on muggers and attack dogs quite nicely.

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

quote:

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

I dont even think the head is pit shaped. I own a pit bull terrier, my neighbor owns a straight pit, the ears are all wrong. maybe the head is shaped asimilar but not enough. regardless, dumb asses who don't have their animals in their control deserve whatever happens to them... carry pepper spray. works on muggers and attack dogs quite nicely.

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!