HOWTO search in cache names...

triggerfish

I want to search for caches with things like "bunker" or "fortress" or "WO1" and so on, in the name. When I enter that in the name search field on the site, it will only find caches that start with those words... I need a way to search the whole name. I know I can create a pocket query, download that into GSAK and search my behind off, but I can not download all caches in The Netherlands in one go, to do so... And If I can limit the pocket query to those words in the description, I already have what I want, so this looks a bit like the chicken and the egg... Is there a way to wildcard-search the names???

Best regards, Peter

I even tried "site:www.geocaching.com bunker The Netherlands", and while it gives me something to work with, it's very labour intensive to get what I want that way. What is easier than to allow "%bunker" in the search. OK, I know, it will cause a bit more load on the database, because that query will require more cpu, but such a query could be limited to one a day or so.

I know it is technical possible, maybe noone thought about it until now. Or the idea may even have been rejected in the past. Hence this question.

Best regards, Peter

Give Google a search string like this:

allintitle:bunker site:geocaching.com/seek

That doesn't give you a pocket query, and I don't know how to limit it to a specific country, but it identifies all the caches with bunker in the name.

I know it is technical possible, maybe noone thought about it until now.

The standard geocaching.com search used to work that way until a few weeks ago, when they changed it to the current prefix-only search. Lots of people complained, but apparently Groundspeak had their reasons, and there's been no sign of remorse over the change. But even that was just a standard search. There's never been a way to add keywords to a pocket query, although it is often requested.

I feel your frustration. Doing a challenge at the moment where I need to find a cache with "pink" in it. If I do that it comes up with a cache 10,000 miles away!!! I have ended up loading up pq's 1000 at a time getting gradually further from home and then searching on GSAK until I got one!

What you want to do is easy using GSAK, but you need a database of all caches from your whole region to work with.

I have read there are ways to do these searches using a properly configured Google search, but I've never done it that way.

Google works, but you can't order them by distance from home. It's also quite cumbersome, IMO. GSAK will do it easily, the problem being, as stated, that you first have to download every cache in the area.

The best way is the system that GS eliminated in their recent "upgrade". Sure wish they'd bring back the keyword search, but leave the "starts with" where it is. It can be useful.

By now I fine tuned the google search as much as I can. I can now limit my results to the keyword in the cache name, because it's in the page title also and the general area, as that is stated on the page also.

feeding google:

site:www.geocaching.com/seek intitle:enigma the netherlands
will give me 248 results beeing caches in the netherlands with enigma in the page name.

One point is that I have to click them one by one and add them to a bookmark list

Another point is that log pages will also show up, so it's not just the caches.

Since I do have a day-job and a social life; PLEASE create a wildcard search option in pocket queries...

Best regards, Peter

Since I do have a day-job and a social life; PLEASE create a wildcard search option in pocket queries...

There's a third party site out there called Project GC that has exactly this. It will search in owner name, location and cache name, but it lets you use wildcards and you can add size and things as well if you want to. And best part is you don't even need to be signed in to use it.

Bunker* in Netherlands

*Enigma* in Netherlands of size micro

It's fairly potent. There's a bunch more stuff on that site, but you need to sign in to access most of it. They're an official partner though.

Hi SilverSnake, that is one kick-a** site... The only thing missing is the "download PQ" button :) but that would be too much to ask. A "make bookmark list" button would do my trick also...

For now this makes my life much easier. I am going to have a close look at this site and it's possibilities. Many Thanks!

Best regards, Peter

I am low-tech and out of the loop. I am trying to figure out how to answer 900 e-mails. I depended upon keyword searches and find "first word" searches unproductive, frustrating and useless to me. (If I cannot type "Fibinnoci" and get a search response, there is a glitch) Sure, I can go to other sites and solve the problem. Please let me pay $10 and get on with it. You geeks are hurrying me to my grave. This is probably your preference.

Hi Chrysalides,

Back in April, 2012 you offered to run a report for me and send it along. I was looking for some sort of wildcard capability with PQ's. My specific challenge is that I'm looking for caches that have a "Cache Placed By" that BEGINS with the numbers 7, 8 or 9. I can get the ones that have ONLY those numbers in the "Cache Placed By" field, but I'm looking for those that either have only those numbers or that BEGIN with those numbers.

If this is any kind of a problem, please don't worry about it.

I live in Los Altos, CA. You can use "Anderson Christmas 2011, GC39M0W" as the cache closest to my house. Spreading out as far as you can in order to identify the most possible caches would be great.

Thanks!!

Pete

Camnpete