Wheres all the wildlife?

Has anyone else in the UK notices the lack of any wildlife

when out in the countryside.

No Butterflies or other flying insects. Few birds or any other

animals,such as Rabbits or Deer. In other words very little

movement of any kind.

Not so in my part of the world. I regularly see three species of deer, watch owls hunting along the road verges in the evening, red kites and buzzards during the day. I've seen rabbits and hares in the fields earlier in the year. Much the same as last year, really.

movement of any kind.

Not so in my part of the world. I regularly see three species of deer, watch owls hunting along the road verges in the evening, red kites and buzzards during the day. I've seen rabbits and hares in the fields earlier in the year. Much the same as last year, really.

My caching is in Hampshire reports by county would be interesting.

Insect numbers are known to be down on normal levels currently, but will probably catch up eventually, delayed by long cold spring. Remember that many birds and mammals, especially, are more difficult to see if you're out with other people, at times other than dawn and dusk etc.

Hoping to spot lots of wildlife at this event http://www.museum.zoo.cam.ac.uk/events/bioblitz.cambridge.2013/ Wandlebury Country Park, just outside Cambridge, also has 2 multi caches, 2 traditionals and 1 virtual.

movement of any kind.

My caching is in Hampshire reports by county would be interesting.

I live close to the south Bedfordshire / north Hertfordshire border.

Insect numbers are known to be down on normal levels currently, but will probably catch up eventually, delayed by long cold spring. Remember that many birds and mammals, especially, are more difficult to see if you're out with other people, at times other than dawn and dusk etc.

Hoping to spot lots of wildlife at this event http://www.museum.zoo.cam.ac.uk/events/bioblitz.cambridge.2013/ Wandlebury Country Park, just outside Cambridge, also has 2 multi caches, 2 traditionals and 1 virtual.

Doesn't seem that way here in suburban London.

Lots of bugs around, plants in the garden swarming with bees (as is usual), saw a couple of damselflies in the garden the other day (haven't seen damselflies in the garden since 2009) and blackbirds and robins hunting around pecking up stuff.

The wildlife I'm most aware has declined is grey squirrels and frankly if they all die I'd say good riddance to them.

Our garden in Frimley, Surrey is awash with bees and wasps at the moment, sniffing around our lupins and assorted shrubs. We've also seen the odd stag beetle, fox and a shy badger.

Later in the year, my cabbages will once again provide food for the local cabbage white butterfly population. I certainly won't be eating them because after the caterpillers have had their fill, there isn't much left for me.

Out over the ranges I recently saw deer and rabbits, alongside the exotic cattle the land managers place there which are presumably immune to bullets.

So, no, there's plenty of wildlife, at least where I live.

Seen two deer in suburban Warwickshire this week and a Fox on the field near our house tonight. Loads of rabbits but an alarming amount of badgers killed by the side of the road. A good variety of birds nesting in the area including robins, goldfinch, sparrows and great tits all nesting in our urban garden.

I do feel that butterflies seem to be in shorter supply and I haven't seen any hedgehogs yet this summer.

In Malvern we're less one young jackdaw in our garden, the local sparrowhawk nailed him on our back lawn the other day. Plenty of rabbits, kestrels, buzzards, oh, and The Eleven O'Clock Fox who we see crossing the road when we're on the way home from the pub. In winter he's the Nine O'Clock Fox who we see on the way to the pub.

We had a peacock on the garden shed the other week but I don't suppose that counts as wildlife.

Owls hooting, muntjac deer on the golf course the other morning, a common lizard in our kitchen sink last year and a slow worm found while cutting the grass. The local rat used to climb our bird feeder until two weeks ago when some bastard decided to poison him, now the squirrels have it to themselves. There were quite a few glow worms about last year but I haven't spotted any so far this year.