A Newbies hard learned lessons

:blink::rolleyes: So I read my very first post months ago wow I was angry. I have had a lot to think about.

People talk in the forum about "Elitism" with long standing verses "Newbies".

Points to remember in dealing with newbies. Lead with the positive. "Hey you started geocaching great, have any questions?". That would be great. " This game people really like the rules followed to keep if fun, I would not mind telling you them and the unspoken rules". I would have loved that. I as a newbie got defensive I felt ganged up on when I started. If I had been approached more this style I would have loved it. I would have met a cacher took notes.

My fault was like I have said in other posts I did not understand not only "Unwritten rules" but why they are there. I saw there was no rule for hiding a cache with just 4 finds so I did. Trouble started.

NOW I agree you should find caches like 50-60 before you hide one. Not a fan on the "100" rule. I understand it now but not then. It is about seeing all they ways they are hidden, cache containers. Find really bad ones. Have the experience of hunting for hours and not finding it. All good for getting your mind in the game. It helps you get the mental understanding.

:blink: :blink:http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I am to blame I did not read the forums to get to know what cachers hate and what they love. I did not read the do's and don'ts from cachers themselves. Because of my excitement for geocaching I did not investigate the way I should have. I was Eger and so are other Newbies they will make mistake also.

In my last post I said I had thought of quitting because all the trouble I caused from being a Newbie. I felt I had angered to many Geocachers. (the reason I have not attended an event). I love ,love Geocaching but I did not start geocaching to anger strangers that are just trying to enjoy a hobby. I am a nice family man 5 kids the smallest 3 years old geocaches with me always. So If things are better in 6 months I will stay if not I will leave. I am doing my part, I listen to cachers now I follow the rules I don't engage in arguments with in the logs.

Edited by Gooniemanalpha

You've only been at it 8 months and you've already hidden 23 caches. That's pretty intense. Cache ownership=lots of potential for annoyance and conflict. I would hate to see someone with your enthusiasm and love for the game quit. My advice: take a break from hiding new ones and just enjoy finding caches for the next several months...at least. :)

You've only been at it 8 months and you've already hidden 23 caches. That's pretty intense. Cache ownership=lots of potential for annoyance and conflict. I would hate to see someone with your enthusiasm and love for the game quit. My advice: take a break from hiding new ones and just enjoy finding caches for the next several months...at least. :)

. I hear you. I just could not wait the neighborhood I'm in had none for 20 blocks. I also have a great large wooded area . It had no caches. I did not want someone that did not live here to place caches. I can walk to a lot of mine from my house.

The best thing you could do is go along to an event and talk to other cachers. You'll quickly figure out which are the ones who want to dictate "unwritten rules" to you - stay away from them! The reason those "rules" are "unwritten" - it's because they don't exist. Good luck with your cache hiding and finding and welcome to the community. :)

I think you need to let go of the hard feelings and move on.

Think about it for a minute- suppose you saw a football game for the first time in your life. You loved it so much, that you decided to go see three more. After seeing these 4 games, you decided to organize one of your own and invited everyone in town to come play. The game is most likely going to be a disaster as you probably don't know all of the rules of the game, you're not familiar with all of the penalties and you might not even know who to set up the field properly or who plays what position. The people that took time out of their day to come to and participate in that game are probably going to be a little bit upset.

You can relate this to anything in life that you try before you have a full understanding. What's important is that you've realized your mistake and you're fixing it. You've found the forums and you're investigating the official rules (and perhaps the "unofficial" ones- I have my own opinion on those that I'll refrain from). You're learning what cachers like and dislike. Your hides are getting better and you're getting some positive responses. Maintain the caches that you've put out and just enjoy the game for awhile. Find some caches with your children and don't worry about being part of the geocaching "community"- it will happen by chance, not by force.

On a personal note, I've found between 30-40 caches right now. I'm not an expert by any means and I record my fair share of DNF logs. I've seen a small fraction of the ways that a cache can be hidden and I have no intention to hide one of my own until at least next year. For now, I'm enjoying learning all about this new adventure and introducing it to my current friends. I've taken a girl that I work with caching at lunch time 7 or 8 times. She finally set up her own account and in one weekend, now has more finds than I've managed to get in over a year. Perhaps you want to try this activity with some of your current friends rather than searching for new ones.

One last piece of advice, from one newbie to another. It's not necessarily about the cache, it's about the journey to get there. Even with such a low number of finds, I may not remember what a cache looked like, or what was in it, but I can probably tell you a story about each one and things that I've learned- the closest parking spot to the cache is not always the best route, Terrain/difficulty ratings are there for a reason, always have an extra shirt on hand, etc. Don't try to force things to happen, just enjoy the sport.

. I hear you. I just could not wait the neighborhood I'm in had none for 20 blocks. I also have a great large wooded area . It had no caches. I did not want someone that did not live here to place caches. I can walk to a lot of mine from my house.

I looked at your forum posts, and I remember now when you started your first thread, I even responded to it. You really hit the hiding aspect hard, and it looks like by the end of October, you had 6 finds and 6 hides. This is quite unusual, and it's only natural for the established cachers in your immediate area to take notice. Especially if there are bad coords, bad locations or bad containers. Or all three.

Example, there's about a year old account in my area with about 90 finds and 45 hides. The vast majority of them within 4 miles of my house. There have been no major drama incidents, although he has consistently bad coords, and horrible containers. One cache listed as small is a plastic Lays Potato chip container. If you don't think he's come up in conversations with about 10 other cachers who live within 5 miles of these hides, you'd be crazy.

Yes, he's been personally invited to two events by the hosts, and blew off both of them. We'd love to meet him. And nicely tell him to slow the frick down, and where he can buy lock-n-lock's. :ph34r:

Think about it for a minute- suppose you saw a football game for the first time in your life. You loved it so much, that you decided to go see three more. After seeing these 4 games, you decided to organize one of your own and invited everyone in town to come play. The game is most likely going to be a disaster as you probably don't know all of the rules of the game, you're not familiar with all of the penalties and you might not even know who to set up the field properly or who plays what position. The people that took time out of their day to come to and participate in that game are probably going to be a little bit upset.

I like this analogy.

Edited by L0ne R

I look forward to the day when I finally shed my newbie cape and hide my first cache. Gettin close!!!

Wow, you're not kidding are you? :laughing: Be careful there's an anti "Geocachers who don't give back" line of thinking out there. Not a line of thinking that has majority support, but it's out there. :ph34r:

I felt I had angered to many Geocachers. (the reason I have not attended an event). I love ,love Geocaching but I did not start geocaching to anger strangers that are just trying to enjoy a hobby.

You should go to Events, especially "Geocaching 101" and "Meet & Greets" and bring your family. I've angered many Geocachers :ph34r: and have a nice time at those Events anyway. :anicute:

You can relate this to anything in life that you try before you have a full understanding. What's important is that you've realized your mistake and you're fixing it. You've found the forums and you're investigating the official rules (and perhaps the "unofficial" ones- I have my own opinion on those that I'll refrain from). You're learning what cachers like and dislike. Your hides are getting better and you're getting some positive responses. Maintain the caches that you've put out and just enjoy the game for awhile. Find some caches with your children and don't worry about being part of the geocaching "community"- it will happen by chance, not by force.

On a personal note, I've found between 30-40 caches right now. I'm not an expert by any means and I record my fair share of DNF logs. I've seen a small fraction of the ways that a cache can be hidden and I have no intention to hide one of my own until at least next year. For now, I'm enjoying learning all about this new adventure and introducing it to my current friends. I've taken a girl that I work with caching at lunch time 7 or 8 times. She finally set up her own account and in one weekend, now has more finds than I've managed to get in over a year. Perhaps you want to try this activity with some of your current friends rather than searching for new ones.

One last piece of advice, from one newbie to another. It's not necessarily about the cache, it's about the journey to get there. Even with such a low number of finds, I may not remember what a cache looked like, or what was in it, but I can probably tell you a story about each one and things that I've learned- the closest parking spot to the cache is not always the best route, Terrain/difficulty ratings are there for a reason, always have an extra shirt on hand, etc. Don't try to force things to happen, just enjoy the sport.

I hear you I am done placing them for now. I took a trip on the way found 20 caches.

:blink::rolleyes: So I read my very first post months ago wow I was angry. I have had a lot to think about.

Points to remember in dealing with newbies. Lead with the positive. "Hey you started geocaching great, have any questions?". That would be great. " This game people really like the rules followed to keep if fun, I would not mind telling you them and the unspoken rules". I would have loved that. I as a newbie got defensive I felt ganged up on when I started. If I had been approached more this style I would have loved it. I would have met a cacher took notes.

My fault was like I have said in other posts I did not understand not only "Unwritten rules" but why they are there. I saw there was no rule for hiding a cache with just 4 finds so I did. Trouble started.

NOW I agree you should find caches like 50-60 before you hide one. Not a fan on the "100" rule. I understand it now but not then. It is about seeing all they ways they are hidden, cache containers. Find really bad ones. Have the experience of hunting for hours and not finding it. All good for getting your mind in the game. It helps you get the mental understanding.

:blink: :blink:http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

I am to blame I did not read the forums to get to know what cachers hate and what they love. I did not read the do's and don'ts from cachers themselves. Because of my excitement for geocaching I did not investigate the way I should have. I was Eger and so are other Newbies they will make mistake also.

In my last post I said I had thought of quitting because all the trouble I caused from being a Newbie. I felt I had angered to many Geocachers. (the reason I have not attended an event). I love ,love Geocaching but I did not start geocaching to anger strangers that are just trying to enjoy a hobby. I am a nice family man 5 kids the smallest 3 years old geocaches with me always. So If things are better in 6 months I will stay if not I will leave. I am doing my part, I listen to cachers now I follow the rules I don't engage in arguments with in the logs.

The whole newbie thing is old if you hide a cache and you've only found one or a thousand makes no difference the one with the experience can put out a garbage cache just as easy as the new people.

I looked at your forum posts, and I remember now when you started your first thread, I even responded to it. You really hit the hiding aspect hard, and it looks like by the end of October, you had 6 finds and 6 hides. This is quite unusual, and it's only natural for the established cachers in your immediate area to take notice. Especially if there are bad coords, bad locations or bad containers. Or all three.

Example, there's about a year old account in my area with about 90 finds and 45 hides. The vast majority of them within 4 miles of my house. There have been no major drama incidents, although he has consistently bad coords, and horrible containers. One cache listed as small is a plastic Lays Potato chip container. If you don't think he's come up in conversations with about 10 other cachers who live within 5 miles of these hides, you'd be crazy.

Yes, he's been personally invited to two events by the hosts, and blew off both of them. We'd love to meet him. And nicely tell him to slow the frick down, and where he can buy lock-n-lock's. :ph34r:

My containers are good I maintain them. I yesterday went and cleared a trail of blackberries 3/4 mile. Took several hours. To help out hikers and geocachers. When other geocachers complained they could not find my cache and cords were off. They said area had trash. This was posted by several cachers. I did not get angry I the next day went and checked cords and brought a trash bag and cleaned the whole park trail. Then filed a report with parks department about trash. They were happy to complain of trash but not fix it.

I got angry when one day later a geocacher logged that the CO "Me" had not done a good job or was lying area full of trash. I deleted it and emailed him. It was put much ruder.

So I went back same day with another bag I looked over the area again found one pop can behind a bush.

It seems like some people like to create a negativity. I wont even get into that I think one cache was geomuggled (muggled by geocacher).

I got it I should move out of the area start with different local cachers! lol

Odds are, the problem you had was that you got defensive even though they were only trying to help you. If that's the case, then you're the one that added the negativity to the encounter.

Sure, once in a while you might run into an old timer that just wants to be mean. (After three years, I've never run into one, but I assume they're out there, and I guess they all live in your area.) But even if you do, react positively: "Gee, thanks for pointing out my cache sucks. What specific changes do you suggest to make it better?" And then actually listen to and learn from the answer. In the worst case, where the person really is just mean, a positive reaction avoids escalation. But, on the other hand, if you've misinterpreted the situation, a positive reaction can lead to you uncovering the true nature of a friendly comment.

Although you think this post is positive, cast as it is as friendly advice, it actually reveals a lot of attitude. "I'm not the problem, oh, no, it's those old timers that don't know how to approach newbies that need to improve." That makes me wonder if the original problems you had had an even deeper cause based on how you treated others even before they started complaining about your cache. Nothing can annoy someone with experience more than someone without experience acting like they know it all. What's the point of giving friendly tips to improve a cache if one can tell up front that the advice won't be heeded?

By the way, what I'm saying has absolutely nothing to do with geocaching.

Odds are, the problem you had was that you got defensive even though they were only trying to help you. If that's the case, then you're the one that added the negativity to the encounter.

Sure, once in a while you might run into an old timer that just wants to be mean. (After three years, I've never run into one, but I assume they're out there, and I guess they all live in your area.) But even if you do, react positively: "Gee, thanks for pointing out my cache sucks. What specific changes do you suggest to make it better?" And then actually listen to and learn from the answer. In the worst case, where the person really is just mean, a positive reaction avoids escalation. But, on the other hand, if you've misinterpreted the situation, a positive reaction can lead to you uncovering the true nature of a friendly comment.

Although you think this post is positive, cast as it is as friendly advice, it actually reveals a lot of attitude. "I'm not the problem, oh, no, it's those old timers that don't know how to approach newbies that need to improve." That makes me wonder if the original problems you had had an even deeper cause based on how you treated others even before they started complaining about your cache. Nothing can annoy someone with experience more than someone without experience acting like they know it all. What's the point of giving friendly tips to improve a cache if one can tell up front that the advice won't be heeded?

I am feeling you have insecurities about your aging, you mention "Old timers" some of the geocachers I have had issues with are in their 20's not 60's. I refer to high-level cachers. Please do not put your anger with your life on me.

Want to know the difference between me and SOME cachers? I do this for fun casually. I don't have to find one everyday. When I do hunt I don't have to find 15 in a day. I don't have to be a FTF.

I am feeling you have insecurities about your aging, you mention "Old timers" some of the geocachers I have had issues with are in their 20's not 60's. I refer to high-level cachers. Please do not put your anger with your life on me.

Want to know the difference between me and SOME cachers? I do this for fun casually. I don't have to find one everyday. When I do hunt I don't have to find 15 in a day. I don't have to be a FTF.

The root cause of your problems with other people just became crystal clear to me.

B.

The forums, and even logs on caches are a little impersonal and sometimes come across as rough or rude. If you actually go to an event and meet some cachers in person, or get together and go out caching, I think the tone will be much more positive.

Some people's log style is really just to complain, especially if they didn't find it for some reason. If you coordinates are good and you have done what you could for the hide (which it sounds like you have), then don't worry about it and just let them vent, let it roll off of you.

Around here "old timers" are cachers (of any age) that have been in the sport for most of the life of caching (hey, it's only turned a teenager itself!). I'm an "old timer" because I started in geocaching in 2001, not because I'm getting close to 60 (my mind says I'm 18, but my body keeps say Oh, no you're not!).

You're in my neck of the woods, and I can truly say we have lots of events that you'd be welcomed at. This weekend is a "Cache Machine" in Olympia, there's several get-togethers coming up (admittedly most are north of you right now, but we do get them down south) and don't miss the Block Party in Aug.

The root cause of your problems with other people just became crystal clear to me.

B.

Bingo!

B.

Bingo!

Well, if he is told that he has an attitude, when he wasn't trying to convey anything of the sort...

Although you think this post is positive, cast as it is as friendly advice, it actually reveals a lot of attitude.

even though the post was attempting to be helpful..

Odds are, the problem you had was that you got defensive even though they were only trying to help you.

The forums, and even logs on caches are a little impersonal and sometimes come across as rough or rude. If you actually go to an event and meet some cachers in person, or get together and go out caching, I think the tone will be much more positive.

True. It looks like he was attacked by his local community for hiding a cache with the coords 36 feet off. I see a couple of obsessed cachers acting rudely in his area, and him taking it personal, as well as misreading forum posts negatively.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

My advice is to ignore posts like this and just do what interests you.. hoping that you're growing and learning along the way.

I encourage you to go to a meet and greet. Our geofamily went to a meet and greet before we found our first cache. Getting to know the local experts on our sport is a good way to find the good and bad ways to hide/find caches. It also helps to interact with other cachers and find where the really good caches are in your area. Come on down to our geocoin challenge on the 29th and talk to the various cachers. We are always willing to help "newbies". After all we were all newbies to start with.

My advice is to ignore posts like this and just do what interests you.. hoping that you're growing and learning along the way.

I think it's good advice, actually. It might come off as blunt, but it's all in the tone, and I'm sure it's not meant to be blunt. I haven't seen a lot, but I'll still say several new cacher high hide to find ratios in my area over the years. About half of them have been teenagers, now that I think about it. I can tell you that in 90 find 45 hide guy's case, they generally have not gotten any better in a little over a year.

Maybe my post didn't come across how I intended. I wasn't telling the OP that they should or shouldn't hide alot of caches just because they are new. I was just trying to give advice that I think would help relieve my stress if I was in a similar situation. They said they were thinking of quitting geocaching and I think that would be a real shame if they did.

B.

Agreed. You want honest feedback, right, G? Pup was being direct but fair. You were free to disagree. I think Pup would have a polite discussion with you if you disagreed with what he said. But as an outside observer, my opinion is that you attacked him. I highlighted the parts I think that most neutral observers would consider an out-of-line overreaction personal attack. Now you can attack me as well, or you can seriously think about what's been said. And I'm not an "old-timer" or a "pro" - I started the hobby about 8 months ago. Just like you,

I do this for fun casually. I don't have to find one everyday. When I do hunt I don't have to find 15 in a day. I don't have to be a FTF.

Attend a local event and ask questions with the attitude that people really do want to help you and not put you down.

You will gain much knowledge and many friends. :)

Attend an event with a chip on your shoulder, and there WILL be trouble. :(

Who wants to interact with a person with a chip on their shoulder? Not me. :back:

I definitely recommend the local events. I learned SO much in just my first few events - the ins and outs of trackables, challenges, etc. - and have met many caching friends. It's also really fun to go caching in a group with differing skills - especially if there's a tree climber in the bunch :)

I was very intimidated to put out a cache as well, so good for you for doing so many as a newbie. It's the only way to learn what to do/not to do. Just have fun and don't worry too much :)

I wouldn't take it personally. I've been online forums/chat rooms/message boards for over 15 years and this is in my top 5 for hostile message boards. I've been a member of at least 100 different online groups ranging all kinds of topics and demographics. This one is HARSH. Not sure why...but it is.

B.

Agreed. You want honest feedback, right, G? Pup was being direct but fair. You were free to disagree. I think Pup would have a polite discussion with you if you disagreed with what he said. But as an outside observer, my opinion is that you attacked him. I highlighted the parts I think that most neutral observers would consider an out-of-line overreaction personal attack. Now you can attack me as well, or you can seriously think about what's been said. And I'm not an "old-timer" or a "pro" - I started the hobby about 8 months ago. Just like you,

I do this for fun casually. I don't have to find one everyday. When I do hunt I don't have to find 15 in a day. I don't have to be a FTF.

Huh?

He was responding to someone else, not Pup Patrol who was only commenting. Did you read the post he was responding to?

I wouldn't take it personally. I've been online forums/chat rooms/message boards for over 15 years and this is in my top 5 for hostile message boards. I've been a member of at least 100 different online groups ranging all kinds of topics and demographics. This one is HARSH. Not sure why...but it is.

Obviously zero of them had to do with College or Professional Sports then. And then there's always unmoderated Usenet, where death threats are common. :unsure: But we'll keep our harsh forum here, where dam with n on the end of it is automatically changed to dadgum. :laughing: I don't even know what happens with the dozens of worse words one could come up with.

Not to mention his OP had nothing to do with fourms/chat rooms/message boards, but with his local Geocaching community.

Maybe my post didn't come across how I intended. I wasn't telling the OP that they should or shouldn't hide alot of caches just because they are new. I was just trying to give advice that I think would help relieve my stress if I was in a similar situation. They said they were thinking of quitting geocaching and I think that would be a real shame if they did.

Quite a few posts did not come across as intended. Quite a few people are also confused and reading into things rather negatively.

Obviously zero of them had to do with College or Professional Sports then. And then there's always unmoderated Usenet, where death threats are common. :unsure: But we'll keep our harsh forum here, where dam with n on the end of it is automatically changed to dadgum. :laughing: I don't even know what happens with the dozens of worse words one could come up with.

Not to mention his OP had nothing to do with fourms/chat rooms/message boards, but with his local Geocaching community.

Yup. My apologies.

Edited by Founden

Yup. My apologies.

Oh geez, now you're making me feel like I was harsh. :laughing: Seriously though, this is one of the most highly moderated forums on the internets. You can't even mention "competing" websites without getting banned. Many of which I don't even consider "competing" websites myself in the first place. I almost take it personally when people say that it's a harsh or nasty fourm, and usually am of the opinion such comments come from people who have visited very few. It's really rare when someone pegs it in the top 5% of nasty forums.

Yup. My apologies.

Oh geez, now you're making me feel like I was harsh. :laughing: Seriously though, this is one of the most highly moderated forums on the internets. You can't even mention "competing" websites without getting banned. Many of which I don't even consider "competing" websites myself in the first place. I almost take it personally when people say that it's a harsh or nasty fourm, and usually am of the opinion such comments come from people who have visited very few. It's really rare when someone pegs it in the top 5% of nasty forums.

Well, when I say harsh I don't mean things like swearing or heavily moderated. I mean the mood of the board. I mean the way people react when someone says something. MOST of the time, no matter what is said it seems people get snark or arrogance instantly. That's what I mean by nasty and harsh. It's one of the least welcoming places I've been. JMO. Sorry for causing a problem. I really am.

Yup. My apologies.

Well, when I say harsh I don't mean things like swearing or heavily moderated. I mean the mood of the board. I mean the way people react when someone says something. MOST of the time, no matter what is said it seems people get snark or arrogance instantly. That's what I mean by nasty and harsh. It's one of the least welcoming places I've been. JMO. Sorry for causing a problem. I really am.

I visit here on a regular basis and do not share your opinion that the board mood is hostile or harsh. Yes, there are hot button topics. Ask what the best GPS is, and you will get a wide range of opinions, but that IMHO is because people here are passionate about the game, and have strong opinions on a wide variety of subjects. That's why I come here, to share experiences. I'm sorry if you have had bad experiences. I hope you will continue to visit and contribute. If you get a response that you consider negative or nasty, feel free to PM me and I may be able to give you another spin on the comment. (or at least confirm that you have been adressed by a troll)

I think your statement truly hits the nail on the head. I've said on more than one occasion that Geocaching newcomers take a beating in these forums. It's like that all over the internet...a lot of "old timers" forget they were new once and many take on a "holier than thou" attitude. The Geocaching forums are no exception. In many cases, you have to have a very thick skin to participate here, especially if you're new and/or a smartphone cacher (because those 2 groups take most of the heat for "hurting the game").

One piece of advice I have for any newbie who participates in the forums is to get out and try to meet other cachers in your area, either by attending an event or getting lucky and crossing paths with them in the field. Talk to them, get to know them a little. More than likely you'll find that their attitude is much different than many here in the forums. I've never attended an event, but have spoken to cachers I cross paths with and, to be honest with you, if most of them had been like a lot of the cachers here in the forum, I probably would've stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people here who won't think twice about helping anyone who asks. But there are more than a fair share of those who think this game should be played THEIR way, regardless of what Geocaching says. DO NOT let those types of cachers affect the way you play!! I can't emphasize that enough. Everyone plays this game differently and as long as you play within the Geocaching guidelines, do what makes it the most fun for you.

Just because a handful of cachers who frequent this forum say it should be done a certain way doesn't mean they're right. They'll tell you not to hide any until you've found so many or they'll tell you to sign your logs a certain way. There's no reason a new cacher with only a few finds (or zero) can't hide a good cache, because they can. All it takes is a little effort to educate themselves and the desire to positively add to this game. Sure it's helpful to see how caches are hidden and to see what types of containers are out there, but anyone can read these forums, read the Geo guidelines, or go on YouTube and watch countless videos of caches to find out how things are done. Yes I'd recommend anyone get a good feel for the game first, but I'd never say "If you haven't hidden any, you can't hide any!" It's not my place to say.

If you anger someone in these forums, please take it with a huge grain of salt because some of them are easily angered. They're not happy unless everyone plays this game the way they think it should. And when it doesn't happen, they feel it necessary to push their weight around. I could care less about your find count, how many you've hidden, how many years you've been playing, whether you're a Premium Member or not, or how many forum posts you have...none of it means squat when someone treats others poorly. I'll take a kind, humble newbie who's eager to learn this game and have fun over a forum "elitist" with thousands of finds any day.

Just do your best to ignore forum users like that. That's something I'm not always good at, but only because I don't think anyone should be treated badly by someone just because that person's been playing longer and thinks they're above others. Maybe it'd help if you took a break from the forums and just enjoy the game. If you truly love the game and are willing to play by the rules, there's no reason a few bad apples should spoil your fun.

One piece of advice I have for any newbie who participates in the forums is to get out and try to meet other cachers in your area, either by attending an event or getting lucky and crossing paths with them in the field. Talk to them, get to know them a little.

I think this is the best advice for any new cachers, regardless of whether they participate in the forums or not. Getting to know the locals in person will give both sides a better impression of what the other person is really like, rather than basing that impression off of an impersonal online presence. In my experience, you're far less likely to say negative things about or to someone you've gotten to know in person. As an example, there's someone in this town that has never really met any of the local "old timers", and has formed the opinion that we're all elitist, holier-than-thou, mean people. If they met us in person and chatted for a while, I'm sure they'd have a completely different opinion, and we'd probably have a different opinion of them.

Regarding your paragraph about when to hide your first cache, I, and I think several others in these forums, don't suggest waiting to hide your first cache due to possible low quality. I've seen many excellent caches placed by cachers with few or no finds. Rather, the reason why I think cachers should wait to hide their first cache is because cache ownership is a long-term relationship, and we want the cacher to make sure they're going to stick around for a while and not abandon their cache(s) after a week. I've seen tons of these around here where the cacher hides their first cache within a week of signing up, maybe finds a few more caches over the next week or two, then disappears, leaving a mess for everyone else to clean up. Rather than using a set number of finds as the limit for hiding a cache, I'd recommend a waiting period of at least a month or two, if not longer, before a new account can place a cache. If the cacher is still around after that time, the likelihood of them sticking around is far greater than during their first week.