Looking for different way to play...

Hello all.

Been GC for about 2 years almost to 500 GC. I was wondering if

there is any different ways to play. I know of how many days straight..

Just find TBs etc.

I've heard of filling in Quadrants, not sure how that works....

Any other ideas? I mainly like to hike and get out on the trail.

Thanks

The Yote

Common goals involve finding a cache on every day of the year and finding a cache for each possible D/T combination (there are 81).

For inspiration you can look at the Statistics page on your profile, the more extensive statistics offered on mygeocachingprofile.com, or the qualification requirements for Challenge Caches.

Other goals could be finding caches that are "lonely" (no Finds logged in the last year) or seeking the oldest active caches in a particular area (such as the oldest cache in every county in your state).

I've heard of filling in Quadrants, not sure how that works....
There's a Bay Area Quadrangle Challenge that I've been (slowly) working on for a while. The basic idea is to find at least one cache in each quadrangle, as defined by the USGS topographical map quadrangles.

It's basically a variation of "find at least one cache in each area", where the areas can be states, or counties, or USGS quadrangles, or pages of the DeLorme map books, or parks that are part of a particular system, or whatever.

Any other ideas?
Take a look at the statistics tab on your profile page. Any of those statistics can be used to drive your geocaching adventures. For example, a while back, I filled in my "Finds for Each Day of the Year". I didn't do it to qualify for a challenge cache or anything like that. I just did it for myself, to have fun.

Another approach would be to look at nearby challenge caches. Or, if you just want ideas and don't care about logging the challenge cache, you could just look at the various types of challenges for ideas. For example:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Challenge_cache

And some people enjoy searching for caches with lots of Favorites votes. Or caches that people are talking about at local events. Or mystery/puzzle caches. Or high terrain caches. Or high difficulty caches. And so forth.

I mainly like to hike and get out on the trail.
I have it on good authority that that system works too.

At the start of each calendar year, I usually set myself a goal or 2. This year I choose to 1.)complete the days of the year caching calendar and 2.)find 1000 caches by the end of the year. On track to complete both. The calendar I tried last year but was unsuccessful. I think next year I'll try and do a 30 day streak.

Just a fair warning about posting here, doesn't matter how you choose to play, you're playing wrong.

214v1.jpg

If simply hiking in the woods while finding some caches isn't enough for you, then I agree with others and suggest trying some challenge caches that are nearby. Complete the 366 grid by finding a cache on every calendar date, find a cache to fill in the D/T grid (also known as Fizzy or Well Rounded Cacher), complete the county/Delorme/Quad challenge, etc. Or perhaps you could attend some events and meet some like minded souls to go caching with.

Edited by wimseyguy

There's a series of caches in Florida, the Florida State Parks Civilian Conservation Corps Geotrail; one of the caches in the series.

I've been working on getting those found, bit by bit, planning a day or weekend trip around getting to one of the parks. I've gone to a park and found only the one cache, done other things, gone to a park and spent all day there hiking and finding other hides. Nice thing to plan caching around.

Many states have something of this ilk.

Check out GSAK badge generator. It has 37 different badges with 8 different levels for each badge. Badges for highest altitude cache, lowest cache, puzzle caches, Earth caches, micro caches, Etc. You get the idea. It also helps with any state challenges such as caching in each county in your state, 99 in my case. Have fun.