Rechargeable Batteries question

I was thinking of using Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my 450. I now see that they are only 1.2 volts and the current batteries I am using, 1.5 volts are coming out with 1.2 volts when the unit is saying Low Voltage. Others have said they are using the eneloops. Am I missing something here?

You need to set the battery type to "Rechargeable NiMH" in Settings > System > Battery Type.The 1.2 V Eneloops will work great in your Oregon.

2 interesting points. The MH-C9000 charger does not seam to have any way of changing the voltage setting and the Eneloop batteries that are listed as 1.2 volts have 1.34 volts on them out of the box.

I charged 2 batteries on the brake in cycle and they now have 1.43volts on them. Did I destroy 2 batteries?

You need to set the battery type to "Rechargeable NiMH" in Settings > System > Battery Type.The 1.2 V Eneloops will work great in your Oregon.

2 interesting points. The MH-C9000 charger does not seam to have any way of changing the voltage setting and the Eneloop batteries that are listed as 1.2 volts have 1.34 volts on them out of the box.

I charged 2 batteries on the brake in cycle and they now have 1.43volts on them. Did I destroy 2 batteries?

~1.4V is a common charged voltage of a NiMH battery. 1.2V is just the nominal rating for the battery.

Any decent modern battery charger can properly charge NiMH batteries.

NiMH batteries require specific chargers. Charging the batteries will make them hot and it if they get too hot you will shorten the life of the battery. Good chargers measure both the temperature of the battery and the change in voltage. If you use a lot of NiMH batteries you might be better of getting a good charger.

While NiMH batteries start off with at 1.2v they lose their power much slower than alkaline batteries. Alkaline batteries start at 1.5v but lose power quickly. High quality low self-discharge NiMH are the way to go.

OK So I am charging eneloop 1,900 batteries at 200 ma with a MH-C9,000. Am I OK with this or does the charger or batteries go back?

Those are great batteries. Just put them in the C9000 and use the default charge current (1000mA, which is ~0.5C). Keep them in the charger an additional two hours after completion as the C9000 terminates early and will top-off at 100mA.

Edited by JustMyName

Hi,

If you buy a good charger that monitors the charge rate and temperature ect. Then don't try to charge the very cheap batteries from the the big shop on the net. You'll likely blow the charger and maybe cause a fire, I know to my cost, I blew an Anmann charger, £60 worth.

Regards Bernard