No more notifications from my trackable

alpinfieber

Hi,

Some times ago I made a trackable go around the world. But since I changed my Emailadress in GC.com I do not get any notifications about the trackable any more. I couldn´t find a point to change the notifications address. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks in advance

Chris

www.alpinfieber.net

Do you get any notifications from geocaching.com since changing e-mail? The weekly newsletter? Anything on your watchlist? (If you don't have much on your watchlist, you might want to put a few frequently-found caches on there for a bit just to see if you get those notifications.)

All notifications (whether on a trackable or on a cache) go to the same e-mail (so changing your e-mail for GC.com took care of the trackable as well). If you're getting some notifications e-mails but not this trackable, then I have no clue what's up (although I see no one has logged anything on your trackable since April, so there shouldn't have been any notifications since April in any event).

If you're not getting any notifications at all, then something is amiss with the new e-mail. (Maybe they're all going into your spam folder? Maybe your e-mail is blocking GC.com for some weird reason?) You could try creating another throwaway e-mail, switch GC.com to that new e-mail and see what happens.

Hi,

Some times ago I made a trackable go around the world. But since I changed my Emailadress in GC.com I do not get any notifications about the trackable any more. I couldn´t find a point to change the notifications address. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks in advance

Chris

www.alpinfieber.net

http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx

scroll down to "Your Validated E-Mail Addresses". To the right of that is the link "change". Once you've done that, make sure that you click "save changes" or whatever it asks you to confirm the change.

Also make sure that Groundspeak is an accepted contact for your email address. If not, then the emails will most likely go to your spam folder.

There don't seem to be any "visited" logs posted for the trackables belonging to alpinfieber and Scratch Ankle, so that doesn't look to be the issue.

B.

Just for an update, I just got a notification about a TB I am watching that I picked up here in Kentucky and dropped in New York State telling me it had been retrieved. So the only missed notification so far was on my TB that had been retrieved 6/11 according to the log although it seems like I had looked at that TB this past weekend before I changed the email address and it was still sitting in a cache at that point. Possible the post was made (and back dated) just as I changed the email address so it got lost ???

Just for an update, I just got a notification about a TB I am watching that I picked up here in Kentucky and dropped in New York State telling me it had been retrieved. So the only missed notification so far was on my TB that had been retrieved 6/11 according to the log although it seems like I had looked at that TB this past weekend before I changed the email address and it was still sitting in a cache at that point. Possible the post was made (and back dated) just as I changed the email address so it got lost ???

It is not at all unusual for some to log backdated Finds and Trackables. Do understand that not all are "johnny-on-the-spot" with their logging.

As time wears on with your geocaching, you will discover this. The more trackables you have out and the more caches you place, this will become apparent to you a bit quicker.

I have seen Discovery logs come in months after some folks have attended events. The bigger (more attendance) the event, the more late logs come in -- both logging and notifications. The sad thing is, many Discoveries are logged w/o the logger saying where it was that they Discovered it, or even bother to backdate it properly. That can sometimes create confusion.

As an example, read the logs for WHO . The added "bonus" to this tracking history -- if you scroll through it all -- shows you that even with a mission, a trackable rarely moves in any semblance of a direct line. Clicking the map link shows you very quickly this little guys roundabout movements. I applaud the cacher that had the ability and means to take it to where it is at this time.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Are not email changes subject to the LOG OUT and then LOG back IN to update the file even after 'saving'?

I thought they were.

Definitely worth putting the 'noreply @ ....' in your white file / contact list/ or whatever list. Avoids things ending up in YOUR junk/spam folder. It can also end up blocked by your provider as well if not in the contact list.

Doug 7rxc

It is not at all unusual for some to log backdated Finds and Trackables. Do understand that not all are "johnny-on-the-spot" with their logging.

As time wears on with your geocaching, you will discover this. The more trackables you have out and the more caches you place, this will become apparent to you a bit quicker.

I have seen Discovery logs come in months after some folks have attended events. The bigger (more attendance) the event, the more late logs come in -- both logging and notifications. The sad thing is, many Discoveries are logged w/o the logger saying where it was that they Discovered it, or even bother to backdate it properly. That can sometimes create confusion.

As an example, read the logs for WHO . The added "bonus" to this tracking history -- if you scroll through it all -- shows you that even with a mission, a trackable rarely moves in any semblance of a direct line. Clicking the map link shows you very quickly this little guys roundabout movements. I applaud the cacher that had the ability and means to take it to where it is at this time.

The notice I just got was about a TB I am watching. It and a weekly newsletter came in on my new email address that I changed this past weekend.

I do understand about back dating logs as I referred to in my post. My point was I did not get a notification of the retrieval of MY TB at all and wondered if it was possible the back dated log of the retrieval was posted at the same time I was changing my email address and caused it to go astray although I would think it would have gone to the original email address as it is still active.

The more likely scenario is that sometimes email just doesn't get where it is supposed to go or takes longer than it should. I recently had an email that took 2 weeks to get to me while others in the family got it right away.

I do not seem to have the problem the OP has and he/she hasn't weighed in since so it may be resolved. I just have one notice that has gone astray for some reason. That matched the OP's problem but he/she apparently has multiple notices not received while I only have the one TB and only one action since I changed the email address. Hopefully when the TB is dropped off I will get a notice.

I do have a safe list for geocaching.com and no filters blocking anything (so far). I did log out and back in when I changed the email address. The fact that I am getting other things messages through geocaching.com indicates all that is working as it should.