Interesting use of a GPS...

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

Here's an odd but effective use of a GPS unit, quoted from the recent News of the Weird. (http://www.newsoftheweird.com).

Dog-Cleanup Patrol Goes High Tech

In July, a jury in Boulder, Colo., quickly acquitted Patrick Murphy, 50, of harassing an unhygienic dog owner whom he had videotaped at a school park failing to pick up behind his dog. Murphy is a dog-droppings activist and, in addition to video cameras, has recently used global positioning satellite equipment to show that, at one time four months ago, there were 663 piles in the park. Murphy had been on the issue for more than five years before moving into electronic strategies. [Denver Post, 7-19-01]

Guest Elwood

gosh, to think if he had carried a pooper scooper and trash bag instead of his video camera, he would have had a great TRASH OUT escapade for GEOCACHING.COM but alas he wasn't thinking like a true geocacher.

Guest Fotogg

Geeshhh! I wonder if he would go back periodically to check the status of his 600+ "doggie doo" waypoints. What waypoint symbol would you use? Did he use a "log" book? About the only good thing would be knowing where not to step.

Maybe Jeremy could talk to the guy and have him do a demonstration at our annual geocaching convention.

Could you imagine being on that jury, just think of the fun, video! probably some kind of powerpoint presentation, not a dry eye in the court room.

[This message has been edited by Fotogg (edited 07 October 2001).]

Guest martinp13

quote:
Originally posted by badbitbucket:

My opinion, the guy needs to get a life.

-BBB

Yeah, but they say that about US too! icon_wink.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

quote:
Originally posted by badbitbucket:

My opinion, the guy needs to get a life.

-BBB

Yeah, but they say that about US too! icon_wink.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest Eight Legs

Kluso told me about a mutual friend of ours attaching his GPSR to his dogs collar. He was curious where the dog went between being put out at night and being let in next morning. The dog covered well over 10 miles. Our buddy then followed the breadcrumb trail to see. I dont think he brought a poop scoop though (sorry Mr. Murphy).

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

recently used global positioning satellite equipment to show that, at one time four months ago, there were 663 piles in the park.

I know he didn't use a basic yellow eTrex, as it only has space for 500 waypoints.

And I thought most of my waypoints were crap. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

recently used global positioning satellite equipment to show that, at one time four months ago, there were 663 piles in the park.

I know he didn't use a basic yellow eTrex, as it only has space for 500 waypoints.

And I thought most of my waypoints were crap. icon_smile.gif

I'd love to try this with my homing pigeons (http://interbug.com/pigeon), but GPSRs are still a little heavy for a pigeon to carry.

I'd love to learn why I'm not winning any races! icon_smile.gif

This might be the conversation at the club house:

Joe: I won the race. My bird flew 300 miles at 65 miles per hour.

Scott: Yeah, well, my bird flew a total of 600 miles.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Eight Legs:

Kluso told me about a mutual friend of ours attaching his GPSR to his dogs collar. He was curious where the dog went between being put out at night and being let in next morning. The dog covered well over 10 miles. Our buddy then followed the breadcrumb trail to see. I dont think he brought a poop scoop though (sorry Mr. Murphy).

I'd love to try this with my homing pigeons (http://interbug.com/pigeon), but GPSRs are still a little heavy for a pigeon to carry.

I'd love to learn why I'm not winning any races! icon_smile.gif

This might be the conversation at the club house:

Joe: I won the race. My bird flew 300 miles at 65 miles per hour.

Scott: Yeah, well, my bird flew a total of 600 miles.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Eight Legs:

It's a "Southern Thing." Growing up in Alabama, I should know. icon_smile.gif

Also, I would imagine that in Ft. Worth, Texas, the piles would probably dry up, turn to dust, and blow away in a couple of hours.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Robb:

It's a little bug that looks like a tiny armadillo that when touched rolls up into a ball. It's diet includes such piles...

[This message has been edited by redd (edited 11 October 2001).]

It's a "Southern Thing." Growing up in Alabama, I should know. icon_smile.gif

Also, I would imagine that in Ft. Worth, Texas, the piles would probably dry up, turn to dust, and blow away in a couple of hours.

quote:

It's a little bug that looks like a tiny armadillo that when touched rolls up into a ball. It's diet includes such piles...

[This message has been edited by redd (edited 11 October 2001).]

"1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:

We have them here, too. I think they are often called pillbugs, but around here I've heard them called potato bugs, as well as rollypolly bugs. My youngest catches them by the dozens. Hopefully from under rocks in the garden!

Good grief, a 'dog droppings activist'?

Oh well, back to cataloging my barbed wire collection.

Huaso

This is getting out of hand.

Just this summer I learned of Geocaching. Now there's Geosketching - drawing pictures with the track log, and now, uh, GeoPooping rolleyes.gif ?

There may actually be more interesting 'stuff' at some of Mr Murphy's waypoints than at some of my GCxxxx waypoints - I've visited a couple of pretty empty boxes.

Jerry out.

Guest 4Finders

quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

gosh, what a wonderful idea, i wonder if that would work with my kids???

Don't laugh, I occasionally use this technique as a Private Investigator during Surveillance. If I lose the subject, I can look back in the log and see where they went after I have lost them.

~4Finders

www.11-2640.com

Guest redquiltsblue

Here in Maryland a Private Detective installed a tracking device on a vehicle. Somebody saw the wires hanging out from underneath and - well, I imagine you can all guess what happened - bomb squad, fbi

Guest logscaler

Redd; Not sure where I read it at buttt,, I did see somewhere that some people - England ??- used a stripped down GPSR with a photo cell for power and attached it to a pigeon and recorded its flight. I will try and find the link, but do not hold your breath. TTFN

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Redd; Not sure where I read it at buttt,, I did see somewhere that some people - England ??- used a stripped down GPSR with a photo cell for power and attached it to a pigeon and recorded its flight. I will try and find the link, but do not hold your breath. TTFN

Could THIS be it?

/me exhales

Guest web-ling

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Huaso:

I've heard them called potato bugs

Just don't confuse your potatos and your rollypolly food... eek.gif

------------------

Web-ling

(The GPS-less Geocacher)

www.web-ling.com

Guest BLEdwardsJ

Watched one of those trial shows where a law enforcement hid a gps on a suspects car then tracked it to a location where a murder victim was burried. This was interesting and usefull.

GPS to track dog droppings. Sounds like a vigilante neighborhood watch member. If this is his pass-time I hope he doesnt start thinking about taking justice into his own hands. This guy must be lonely.