Owning a cache(s) someone else will have to maintain

I know of a place that I feel would make a good spot for a larger cache, it is private property but I know the owner so not a problem to get permission. I might also be able to get permission for the other farm land around the area where there is a nice walk I have done many time as a child so a series with clues to the larger one would be ideal, and only 2 caches within miles of the area. The only real issue I see is although I can get there to place the cache(s) with an overnight stay, I can't see myself being able to visit that often to do maintenance. What are the issues with having someone else doing the maintenance, possibly not even a geocacher?

The closest cache is this one The Aberdyfi Bandstand

As a listing guidelines matter, this is found here

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachemaintenance

The last paragraph is relevant to your question:

"Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication."

As a practical matter, it all depends upon the local you recruit.

I've seen this work well, and I've seen it work poorly. I'd suggest that you consider explaining what's needed, physically visit the cache sites with the local maintainer, and leave replacements for all caches with them.

Non cachers are frequently unreliable with maintenance.

With that being said, you could hide a container such as an ammo can that is unlikely to have any issues. Most micros need log replacements and the O-rings degrade in bison tubes. Even lock and locks have problems if the cacher closes the lid on a bag or if the tab comes off. You could always hide an ammo can well off any trails from where any muggles would visit, and leave a spare hidden 150 feet away ready to go. If the first container goes missing, you could quickly do maintenance without leaving the house if the local non cacher is unresponsive or busy.

Unless it's another cacher I wouldn't recommend it.

When I was in college a few of my friends placed caches then moved away, so I was happy to respond to "hey the cache needs a new log" type texts from said former student cachers (plus they were inevitably near campus so why not?). But I doubt one would get a quick response from just a random person.

If it's a good container and won't be visited that often, it probably won't need alot of maintenance.

Having said that, you still need someone who's willing to fix it up if needed and to give the reviewer their contact information when you submit the cache. How reliable is your friend? I've got 2 vacation caches, which my mother is looking after. They are not found too often. They are next to a walking path near her house, so it's easy enough for her to check on them and in fact, she will check on them when she goes for a walk. I also left her with a replacement cache, complete with logbook and swag in case one of them go missing. Not much has gone wrong so far and I can check on them myself once/year when I visit.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Thanks for the help, I think my best bet is going to be contact the reviewer and see what their views are, I was thinking of asking the owner to do the maintenance and/or various members of my family when they visit. I was thinking of a larger ammo box, with the log in a clip lock box inside for added protection.