Logging etiqutte - long logs

BaSHful

I personally believe that people need to write longer logs. As a cache owner, there is nothing more disheartening than when I receive a mere "TFTC" (or in one case I actually had someone hit the space bar just they could find it without typing anything) It's sad because I put a lot of time and effort into new caches I create and love to hear what people think and how they did or how their day went. (good or bad!)

I will admit, I am one that tends to overdo my logs. If I only do one or two that day and it's really memorable I will just go on and on about it and in general cache owners seem to appreciate it. (i've had several positive emails and my name was once recognized at a mega event just because of my large logs)

I have to say I am guilty of cut and paste logs from time to time but I try to limit it to only power trails where every cache looks the same. On occasion even on mega events when the whole day blends together (but I really try not to!) To be honest I think cache owners that create power trails tend to expect this but would prefer to have one interesting log over just "TFTC"for all.

But I do try to tailor it to the cache too, ESPECIALLY if it was memorable. I will do a paragraph about the day and then as much as I can about the cache itself. It usually takes a while but I think it's appreciated.

Afterall you can't please everyone, so just do what you think is right.

I personally believe that people need to write longer logs. As a cache owner, there is nothing more disheartening than when I receive a mere "TFTC" (or in one case I actually had someone hit the space bar just they could find it without typing anything) It's sad because I put a lot of time and effort into new caches I create and love to hear what people think and how they did or how their day went. (good or bad!)

I will admit, I am one that tends to overdo my logs. If I only do one or two that day and it's really memorable I will just go on and on about it and in general cache owners seem to appreciate it. (i've had several positive emails and my name was once recognized at a mega event just because of my large logs)

I have to say I am guilty of cut and paste logs from time to time but I try to limit it to only power trails where every cache looks the same. On occasion even on mega events when the whole day blends together (but I really try not to!) To be honest I think cache owners that create power trails tend to expect this but would prefer to have one interesting log over just "TFTC"for all.

But I do try to tailor it to the cache too, ESPECIALLY if it was memorable. I will do a paragraph about the day and then as much as I can about the cache itself. It usually takes a while but I think it's appreciated.

Well, as this thread has shown, opinions are all over the map. Most would probably agree with you on longer logs. My philosophy has always been that I write logs so that I can read them and remember the cache. If I do that, "pleasing" the cache owner will take care of itself.

The one aspect that keeps being brought up that I don't agree with is how the use of TFTC is seen as an insult. It was sort of a slap in the face to a CO back when most people logged their finds sitting down in front of a keyboard because to just type out TFTC, that was making a concerted effort to do as little as possible to log the find. Now it seems like a large majority of cachers log with their phone, so I look at TFTC logs as convenience rather than trying to send a message to the CO that their cache sucks.

Well, as this thread has shown, opinions are all over the map. Most would probably agree with you on longer logs. My philosophy has always been that I write logs so that I can read them and remember the cache. If I do that, "pleasing" the cache owner will take care of itself.

The one aspect that keeps being brought up that I don't agree with is how the use of TFTC is seen as an insult. It was sort of a slap in the face to a CO back when most people logged their finds sitting down in front of a keyboard because to just type out TFTC, that was making a concerted effort to do as little as possible to log the find. Now it seems like a large majority of cachers log with their phone, so I look at TFTC logs as convenience rather than trying to send a message to the CO that their cache sucks.

Opinions of finders/loggers perhaps. I'm not seeing opinions of cache owners being all over the map regarding what they prefer to see. I do see some saying they are bothered by TFTC and others that saying they are not bothered by them, but nobody is saying that they actually prefer them. As to TFTC being a convenience to the finder because they are logging via phone... tough cookies! It isn't about convenience to them. It probably wasn't convenient for the cache owner to put the cache out for them to find. Most of those cachers, I suspect, can send lengthy text messages to their buddies all day long.

...As to TFTC being a convenience to the finder because they are logging via phone... tough cookies! It isn't about convenience to them. It probably wasn't convenient for the cache owner to put the cache out for them to find. Most of those cachers, I suspect, can send lengthy text messages to their buddies all day long.

+1

My other 2/3rds did a faceplant one day, on what had to be the only rail spike still in a rails-to-trails system. :laughing:

Texting, gaming with others, and not paying attention.

We have rules now (not guidelines :lol: ) on when the phone's put away.

I stopped caching with phone folks because of witnessing the same in them too.

I'm not responsible for your safety. You need to look up once in a while.

A few I've asked to at least put the darned phone down while we're at trail lunch.

- Yet their logs are tftc or "found it". Sheesh.

Five pages over something that doesn't matter in the scheme of things...

... to you.

...to anyone who doesn't get their panties in a wad over something so trivial.

Sounds to me as though you might have some untwisting of your own to do. But thank you for your opinion. It was very nice of you to drop by. TTYL

... to you.

...to anyone who doesn't get their panties in a wad over something so trivial.

Sounds to me as though you might have some untwisting of your own to do. But thank you for your opinion. It was very nice of you to drop by. TTYL

Ah, so you are the final arbiter of what opinions are valid? I see. While I appreciate your blatant condescension, I think I'll hang around.

Ah, so you are the final arbiter of what opinions are valid? I see. While I appreciate your blatant condescension, I think I'll hang around.

And you're the final arbiter of what matters, it seems :unsure:

Five pages does indicate that it matters at least enough for people to generate five pages of posts - a not insubstantial thread.

If people didn't care one way or the other, would they post? Anything more than condescending remarks, that is.

Edited by Team Microdot
Five pages does indicate that it matters at least enough for people to generate five pages of posts - a not insubstantial thread.

No, not really. It more indicates that the sport is populated by a lot of whiners.

Nice. Thank you for your trolling.

Actually, I'm not. Hitting five pages in the forum, complaining about logs when there are probably bigger issues? Come on.

No, not really. It more indicates that the sport is populated by a lot of whiners.

Actually, I'm not. Hitting five pages in the forum, complaining about logs when there are probably bigger issues? Come on.

Go deal with the bigger issues then. No need to waste your time coming over here, then pushing this discussion to 6 pages as we respond to your trolling.

Go deal with the bigger issues then. No need to waste your time coming over here, then pushing this discussion to 6 pages as we respond to your trolling.

So disagreeing with the status quo is trolling now? Here I thought that people were allowed differing opinions here. Again, I assure you that what I say, I truly believe. You can disagree with me all you wish, but do not label me because you do. :unsure:

So disagreeing with the status quo is trolling now? Here I thought that people were allowed differing opinions here. Again, I assure you that what I say, I truly believe. You can disagree with me all you wish, but do not label me because you do. :unsure:

My bold - probably not - but trying to derail a discussion just because it doesn't excite you? Yeah - that's trolling.

Possibly bigger issues? You need high drama? Big hitting issues? Or you're going to try to censor posts by belittling people? Nice. Real nice. Reminds me why I come here less these days.

Sometimes people just like to chat about something - it doesn't need to be a massive issue and if it doesn't meet your abitrary standard, why not go find something else to do?

When I posted this morning I said to myself that when a thread reaches this point, snotty side-swiping and holier-than-thou comments, the interesting part of the discussion is probably over anyway - so it's probably time to let the thread die naturally before tedium really sets in and the mods put it out of its misery rather than see it die a horrible death.

Yes, we can have differing opinions here. We have five pages of opinions that differ from yours. You do not wish to be labeled, yet you just labeled those with opinions different from yours (and me) as "whiners" that "get their panties in a wad over something so trivial." You are merely reaping what you've sowed. So, stop whining about it... there are bigger issues to deal with, right?

I find this funny because it's written in a geocaching forum.

There are bigger issues than anything in this entire forum.

I mean, really, we're talking about finding tupperware in the woods (or film cans under lamp post skirts). There is a whole lot more important than any of this.

We geocache for fun. Hopefully we come to the forums for fun.

Perhaps some people are having fun complaining about logs. Who knows? But it's all just geocaching.

Almost all of the caches we find are hiking caches, so I always try to include a little about our hike. Pictures, what animals we saw, mushrooms, wild flowers, etc.

No one is under an obligation to write longer logs, IMO, but it sure is nice to read the few that have been written to log my first hidden cache :)

Good caches get good logs, mediocre caches get mediocre logs.

Unfortunately, a lot of good caches get mediocre logs as well.

Completely true.

Currently all caches no matter what the quality are likely to get about the same distribution of good logs (caches that address the actual cache), mediocre logs (logs that say nothing about the individual cache, but the finder writes a sentence or more), and bad caches (Logs that say nothing and verge on insulting: ".", acronym-only logs, "Found it", "That's another smiley for me", etc.).

Good cache logs are becoming rarer since the advent of the app, and the advent of the GSAK bulk cut-n-paste logging feature.

Nope. Used to be true, perhaps. Not true anymore. You will see "TFTC" and even "xuasyd" logs on caches with many favorite points and great views. If you haven't yet, hide and watch... they're coming your way any day now.

Nope. Used to be true, perhaps. Not true anymore. You will see "TFTC" and even "xuasyd" logs on caches with many favorite points and great views. If you haven't yet, hide and watch... they're coming your way any day now.

I guess I should have said " I give good caches good logs and mediocre caches mediocre logs."

It is impossible for me to get excited about some caches. I usually at least include some mundane quip about the weather or the sunset.

Sometimes its just nice to grab a cache and sign a log when you're far from home. If I make a quick lunch grab on a trivial cache my log would probably read something like: "Quick grab on lunch. All was well. Thanks for the cache!"

That is usually the minimum.

But do some caches really deserve more that that?

Did I spend more time writing my log than the CO took in placing their cache?

I do have 5 hides. The cachers in my area generally write a small blurb on most caches but I did notice on the cache I put the least thought into hiding gets the most boring logs.

I try to give each cache a different "short" story, and a thank you with a smiley face. Lately I've been making up goofy poems, a different one for each cache, depends on the day! series tend to be harder to do this. I want to give a smile to the CO as they took the trouble to place the cache, so it's a sort of thanks I guess.

the end of one that we tried to find three times recently, then we did: (Suepy is my dear wife)

"finally I said lets go home I gotta pee

And Suepy said just one more tree

And as quick as that she had it in hand

Then there was joy throughout the land!"

it was longer than that but you get the point, if I find you cache you will have to suffer through bad poetry! Bhahahahaha!!!

But do some caches really deserve more that that?

Did I spend more time writing my log than the CO took in placing their cache?

Yes. Even a bison tube on a stop sign took more time to get published than it took you to write even the longest log. While I detest that type of hide, somebody still took the time to order the bison tube, tape a magnet to it or find some wire to bend, drove or biked or walked to the stop sign and put the cache in, took coordinates, went back home and wrote up at least some sort of cache page, then waited for the reviewer to publish it.

Well there are exceptions, but on my own caches (and most of the caches around here), more "elaborate" caches tend to get longer logs. If a cache takes a couple of hours to do; and has for example several unique and memorable stages, finders will tend to write longer logs. If the cache is a simple park and grab - even if it is a quality container and a nice view, they will say less. I.e. I see logs tend to be proportional to the effort the finder had to put in to finding it. If a finder spends all day on one cache, they are unlikely to say "TFTC" (though they still can). If they did 100 nearly identical park and grabs, they will likely have very short logs (or cut and paste logs).

This is certainly true on my own caches. The more elaborate ones get longer logs on average.

Edited by redsox_mark

Pretty much every post you've made in this thread has been confrontational, now you've moved on to personal insults. I'm not sure that's adding to the discussion.

I think what I'm taking from this discussion is that it's not necessarily the log being long that is a problem but it's relevance to the actual cache it is being logged on.

When I first started caching (which is longer ago than you would think from this account - since 2006ish) I was tolf a quick TFTC on the actual physical log was okay but should never be used online. Now I see (and use) it much more. However, I would never just put TFTC. It feels impolite but that is to me personally. Even a quick dash and grab micro has something more I can say. I try to leave at least a sentence......even when logging straight from my phone.

As a cache owner I read new log entries as soon as possible. For me, any new log which does not contain information about the experience is worthless. I found a solution - I created a filter in my mail server which sends all too short log entries to the black hole. My idea is: "What I do not see, is not any problem for me."

Unfortinately this kind of filter is quite difficult to construct for most users, because the log message is not sent in plaintext format. I hope that Groundspeak could offer this kind of "spam" message filter option in the user account settings.

Edited by arisoft