Explorist 310 stuck.... HELP

I just recieved a brand new Magellan Explorist 310 earlier today, decided to update the software to the current version, and while it was updating, with about 10 seconds left, it stopped and stated the GPS was not updated to the current version and to disconnect and retry. Well, when I did this, the GPS seems to be in some sort of diagnostic screen and will not boot up to its normal state.

I checked the GPS using the my computer drive, and everything, including my pocket querry is still there.... I just can't seem to get it out of this mode???????

I have the same problem. The old Tritons used to have a way of getting in and out of this mode. I have tried connecting my 310 to my computer via usb and placing it into mass storage mode, so I could copy the files over from the latest firmware, but in my device manager it shows that "The device will not start". Hopefully someone will figure this out.

Probably the info.xml file is corrupted, happens a lot when upgrading the 310. It might be possible to extract the info.xml file for your current firmware version by using a 3rd party program like 7zip to open the exe file to see it's contents, then copying the info.xml to your 310. Or someone here with a working version of the latest firmware can send you a copy of their info.xml file (minus the personal information).

www.magellaninsiders.com might be able to help you also.

Also try DOWNGRADING the firmware.

Almost should be a sticky in here to recommend anyone who is upgrading their GC/x10 unit to copy all the files from their unit to their computer just in case.

I wish I could help more

Edited by gpsblake

Unfortunately, every computer I've tried to connect the 310 to, won't accept the device. In Windows, it gives a "Code 10 error" for the USB Mass Storage Device. I've tried Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, Ubuntu. Guess I could send it off to JungleGhost, but I would like to exhaust all possibilities before paying someone to fix it.

If the gps is not recognised when you plug it into your computer you could try the following. However if the unit is still under warranty it would be best to return it for repair, because attempts to fix it yourself might void the warranty.

1. Turn unit off (pull battery if on/off won't respond)

2. Plug unit into PC with USB cable

3. Hold the menu key and the joystick in the "up" position and power unit on. Make sure you H O L D all three buttons as described until unit is fully powered on.

4. This should allow the unit to go into maintenance/disk access mode. Go to the Magellan website and download the newest version of the system firmware.

5. Follow the install directions.

Tarot (Bob)

Well its been several months and no joy. Still gives the USB Mass Storage Device error, and still goes straight to the developer mode, with or without using the 3 button press. Jungle Ghost couldn't fix it. Its a long shot, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'll give it a shot.

Well its been several months and no joy. Still gives the USB Mass Storage Device error, and still goes straight to the developer mode, with or without using the 3 button press. Jungle Ghost couldn't fix it. Its a long shot, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I'll give it a shot.

Why not give it up and buy something else?

This is a great gps, at a great price: Refurbished Garmin Etrex 20 at Cabella's for $119.