Galaxy S3 Android phone

cantuland

I can play Wherigo cartridges on my S3 without using a PC to transfer a download. I installed three apps for this. First is the obvious, the Whereyougo app to play a compatible cartridge. Not all cartridges are compatible with this player. The second app is OI File Manager. I think the My Files app was preinstalled and would work fine for moving a file to a different folder, or directory. However, the My Files app wouldn't let me change a file extension, only the fule name. The third app is a Firefox browser for my phone. The default browser would only download an HTM file whether I attempted a cartridge download (GWC) or a source file download (GWZ). So the default browser failed. Downloading using the Firefox browser would download the correct file. Attempting a cartridge downliad would bring in a GWC file to the "Downloads" folder in my phone. That's the correct file but not the correct folder location. So I used the OI File Manager app to move (or cut-and-paste, or copy-and-paste) the downloaded cartridge out of the "Downloads" folder and into the "Whereyougo" folder. Once the GWC file was in the Whereyougo folder, the Whereyougo app would see it as a playable cartridge.

The OI File Manager app isn't necessary for this. I just tried to change the HTM file extension to a GWC file extension, which was still not a playable cartridge. There may be other phone browsers that will successfully download a GWC file but my default browser failed and Firefox was the first alternative that I tried and it worked.

One last tip, make sure your phone has a good charge. Dead phones don't play Wherigo cartridges very well.

~cantuland

That sounds about like my method! Only difference is that I use Google Chrome paired with Download All Files. I originally had trouble with the Android browser downloading the files as "htm" files. Took some time to figure out that I needed a different browser to actually download the GWC files properly. This is a great piece of information for Android users, thanks for posting!