The web site....and map...

I'm really having a hard time getting use to the web site.

It seems like it is just really hard to get around. Having to search for things and all.

I really don't understand why you can't go to the map and search. Kind of like on the GC map.

I don't understand why the map is so small also.

Maybe I'm missing something and if so please correct me.

Thanks a ton,

The Yote

I'm really having a hard time getting use to the web site.

It seems like it is just really hard to get around. Having to search for things and all.

I really don't understand why you can't go to the map and search. Kind of like on the GC map.

I don't understand why the map is so small also.

Maybe I'm missing something and if so please correct me.

Thanks a ton,

The Yote

The tiny map is a big frustration! But you can KINDA search by centering the map on any area you wish and clicking "search from map center" link under the map. It's a helpful feature that then shows all the waymarks in the area.

Thank you.

I'm like....really...serious? You have how many GC at 30 bucks a year and you can't put a good map up there cuz.....OH..cuz there's so many GC....

I give up.

You can only have 25 or 30 on a page of searches cuz.....

It just blows my mind. I feel like were in 1999.

Look GS if you want more people to waymark...Make it a good experience.

Make it easy to navigate. Thats why I left the first time. I was like what is this. It's just too hard.

Anyways my 2 cents. I'm sorry but the map is a joke.

If I wanted to plan a route, look at places to visit, see where to go when I visit family etc. It should be easy. On a map!!!!!

I mean, I found an app that a guy made for benchmark that was great for just a little app. Your telling me GS can't make an app or a map for Waymarking.

Sorry I don't get it.

Hey my 2 cent...

Take care all

The Yote

I understand your point....

But how easy is it to use on a cellphone...

How easy is it to use on planning a trip...

How easy is it to use at a moments notice when you took a quick trip...

Do GCers just say that's life and work with what they have...

If something is broken in your house do you just say oh well..that's life...

No.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to use the map or if I'm missing something..hey let me know.

I will write Groundspeak and ask them to update the map. I ask everyone else do the same if they want. It doesn't seem right in this day and age to have a map the size of a matchbook and unusable at all on a cell phone.

Take care,

The Yote

As a possible work around for not having a WM App, you can try using one of these two websites from your smart phone:

http://www.zwecklos.ch/wm.htm

http://www.chilehead.us/wm

These can be useful in a pinch.

I share your frustration with the maps and trip planning. When I trip plan, I usually use gc.com to find a town or reststop along a highway, click on a nearby cache and then click on the "View Nearest Waymarks on Waymarking.com" link. This way I can scroll the map and move on down the highways I intend to drive. Is it going to capture every waymark on a route? No. But if you are traveling over a 1,000+ mile (1,609.3+ km) route, then its a lot easier than typing in town names along your route in the wm.com search bar. And you will find out which waymarks are near the highway (versus in the middle of town).

One Helpful hint when trying to see what is available along a route, use the paging after the find nearest waymark, and it will make bigger and bigger rings around where you started from. When you have found another pocket, start again by clicking in and using find nearest waymark.

We had a little game going on the forum once that had us going from one place to another making a path of waymarks. It was fun and gave practice on using the interface.

Personally, When I am doing trip planning, I use the find nearest waymarks to get a general idea of what is in the area. I occasionally have something specific that I want to make a point to see, but for the most part I enjoy my visit and take pictures of things that interest me. When I come home I log visits of the things I saw that were already waymarked, and make new waymarks for ones that weren't. It makes the visiting more fun and less like a chore.