not sure if this would work

TeamCardona

Looks like the man I'm still madly in love with is divorcing me. I have slowly been trying to get rid of the things that remind me of him. My wedding ring is a problem tho. I don't want to just pawn it or throw it in the ocean or something dramatic. I also thought. Maybe in a year or two it wouldn't hurt to look at it anymore and I'll be glad I kept it. Trouble is I can't seem to stop getting it out and crying over it now.

Then an idea began to form. When my husband was deployed twice the only distraction I had was geocaching so I recently started again hoping to break free from my depression. One day I didn't have any swag to put in the cache and I thought. What if I just threw my ring in there.

Of course I didn't do it but I began to like the idea of putting my ring in the cache to travel all around and track it somehow. So its not in my posession but not lost forever either. I've even seen some travel bugs that have set limits like one year to travel then end up back in this particular cache. Is there a way I would be able to do this with my ring? Maybe by the time it found its way back to me it would give me some perspective on how far I've come at that point? I dunno. What do yall think?

Ps I know if I do this I run the risk of losing it forever.

Edited by TeamCardona

It would disappear immediately, I think. Even worthless trinkets used as trackables frequently disappear...either because someone didn't know what a trackable is and kept it as a trade item, or retrieved it from a cache and forgot they had it, or just thought it was neat and decided to keep it. I'd have to think that something that actually had value wouldn't last past the first find.

1) Place wedding ring in your safety deposit box <- VERY IMPORTANT, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

2) Purchase a $5 ring somewhere, make a ring out of something, or find or make something "ring-like"

3) Place new item in a cache (attached to a travelbug, or however you are envisioning) as a proxy for real ring

Edited by derektiffany

I guess I should have mentioned. Lol I have two wedding rings. One that is beautiful and worth $17k. And the one I was married with that would probably fetch $20 at a pawn shop. I'm definitely not thinking of sending off the more expensive one.

The 'less expensive' one might have a chance...but as previously mentioned, TBs go missing all the time.

Ps I know if I do this I run the risk of losing it forever.

My advice to anyone regarding travelers is - Never release anything you are not willing to lose, but that actually might be the point.

Here's my thought. Purchase a geocoin that you carry to amazing and favorite places. When you get near a river, chuck the ring.

Happy caching!

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think this thread would do better in the Travel Bug forum. The OP isn't asking "how do I use the website's trackable features?" but more "would this be a good idea for a trackable?"

In passing, I note from personal experience that geocaching is a great way to bounce back from a divorce. Good job, TeamCardona! A lifetime of new adventures awaits you.

I guess I should have mentioned. Lol I have two wedding rings. One that is beautiful and worth $17k. And the one I was married with that would probably fetch $20 at a pawn shop. I'm definitely not thinking of sending off the more expensive one.

Ah. I was a little worried about you. It sounds like a very interesting idea. I think you should do it. I suggest your attitude be that if it gets lost before it finishes its journey, that tells you something. In the much less likely case that it finds its way back to you after a year, you can decide then what that means.

If you're really ready to let it go, you might want to consider attaching the tag to it in a way that cannot be undone, thus making its inherent value beyond being a TB much less.

Ah. I was a little worried about you. It sounds like a very interesting idea. I think you should do it. I suggest your attitude be that if it gets lost before it finishes its journey, that tells you something. In the much less likely case that it finds its way back to you after a year, you can decide then what that means.

If you're really ready to let it go, you might want to consider attaching the tag to it in a way that cannot be undone, thus making its inherent value beyond being a TB much less.

Like a trip to Mt Saint Helen that only the tag returns?

I'm a romantic at heart. I was thinking of attaching the ring somehow to a travel bug so I could track it but placed in a bag with my story and intentions hoping that fellow geocachers would feel my pain and help in their way. Sad to think that it might not go the way I intended. Guess I need to think on it. I know if I did this I probably won't get it back which I think subconsciously might be the point. Thank you for all of yalls input. :)

Lol the idea of it making it to mt st helens and being tossed in does appeal to me.

Edited by TeamCardona

20usd are not a great amount of money (geocoin costs a bit less), if you like that the ring could travel the world ... do it, but you must have in your plans that sooner or later the ring will stop permanently in the hands of someone ... hoping he/she will be a romantic heart as your :)

Now that your plans are public, to prevent some malicious follow your new TB to get the ring, place another 2 TB with fake ring in places distant from each other, but only you know which one is the ONE :)

ciao from Italy