'Locationless' Caches (for ALL to enjoy!)

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by Don&Betty (on the 'Center of the state' thread of the General forum):

We really need a separately indexed geocache category in which locationless geocache ideas can be presented in the form of a locationless geocache site log that anybody in the world might like to tackle. They might be listed as 1-5 difficulty and 0 terrain. This would be an avenue for interesting geography related site-location puzzles to be presented to everybody at large and not just to the people who happen to live near the site to be located.

Great idea! How about if, until we can talk Jeremy into creating a separate link for this on the Hide & Seek a Cache page (hint, hint!), we post them here for a convenient place to post/look for them? icon_smile.gif

Here (in no particular order) are the ones I?ve found (or had pointed out to me) so far:

Hometown (Where Yall From) by Buck8Point

A Cache of Palindromes by EraSeek

>>FLITS<< aka Speed Trapped by broek

Where's In A Name? by Crusso

Geographic Center - Bull's Eye by OK Doke

Population Center - Bull's Eye by OK Doke

And perhaps this one doesn?t count as ?locationless?, since Markwell keeps it updated with each new goal, but I think it still qualifies as a ?fun to watch by anyone/anywhere? cache:

The Photographer's Cache X by Markwell

[This message has been edited by Zuckerruebensirup (edited 03 March 2002).]

This is exactaly what I have been looking for. I've noticed some location less caches use all zeros, but still a number of good locations less caches use some arbitrary location making then a litle more difficult to find.

I've been following The Photographer's Cache Series by Markwell and I'm hoping that someone will want a picture from Sicily, Italy. I'll only be in Sicily for a few more months though.

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by CR:

I've noticed some location less caches use all zeros

Thanks for the tip! Here?s what I found with that search:

Thoreau Hitchhiker by Dave Jennings & Greg Wade

If you place it, they will come... by Wonko the Sane

Bluff_Bottom_Cache by Scuba-Doo Crew

Sherlock 7 - The booty! by lunchbox

Cluedo Cache (Dr Black) - Final Part 7/7 by Scotty

Scott Creek Multiple by Alex

Geocache by Jake and Rick

Gilbert's Stash a Traveling Cache by Ttepee's Tribe

(As for the Sicily thing, I?d suggest logging a note on the cache, and offering up your location as a next find.)

quote:
Originally posted by exConn:

Z, here's a few more for you...

Thanks for sharing them! (I didn?t realize there were so many out there. It looks like this forum is something we could have used awhile ago.)

Idea: What if, in place of this forum (where I?m sure only a small percentage of geocachers will actually look), we decided to set a standard for these kinds of caches to be listed under N0 E0, and have Jeremy add a ?Locationless Caches? link as one of the choices on the Hide&Seek page?

-------

Update 3/4/02: (Removed Floatch's Lame-O CD cache from the above list, since it's zero coordinates are only temporary, and it doesn't really apply to this category.) Thanks, Markwell!

[This message has been edited by Zuckerruebensirup (edited 04 March 2002).]

Guest jeremy

These should fit outside traditional caches. Perhaps a "Challenge" area. It will take a bit to put together but I'll see what I can do.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

A couple of points...

Floatch's Lame-O CD Cache is just temporarily without coordinates. I actually found that cache in its real location in Portage Indiana. Floatch moved it to the top of the world when that location became unusable. My best recollection is that Floatch plans on re-establishing the cache at a location nearby.

As for the Photographer's Caches, I've been in contact with Blackjak, the originator of the idea and owner of the first Photographer's cache. Unfortunately, he's had a job change and will not be able to keep the coordinates and such updated, so he has bequeathed them to me to upkeep. As soon as Jeremy changes the ownership of the caches, I'll be updating them from that point on. Good thing I've got everything automated on the information on those sites (and sights).

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

These should fit outside traditional caches. Perhaps a "Challenge" area.

Yes, I think that's a great idea. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

It will take a bit to put together but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! I think a lot of people would enjoy the feature. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

iginally posted by Markwell:

Floatch's Lame-O CD Cache is just temporarily without coordinates. [...] My best recollection is that Floatch plans on re-establishing the cache at a location nearby.

Thanks for the heads up. (I've updated my message above to take that one off the list.) Obviously, I didn't read the cache descriptions when I copied the list over. (doh!) I guess it would have been a good idea to proof them before posting, huh? icon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

As for the Photographer's Caches [...] As soon as Jeremy changes the ownership of the caches, I'll be updating them from that point on.

The one I posted here (X) indicates you (Markwell) as the owner. I didn't check out the other links...I assumed each was archived and replaced with the next successive one. I take it that's not the case, and that they are all active caches, taking place simultaneously. If so, should I add their links to the list here? (Or do they not really apply, since anyone who's close to the area the next goal is in will find it by the updated coordinates?)

Guest exConn

quote:

As soon as Jeremy changes the ownership of the caches, I'll be updating them from that point on. Good thing I've got everything automated on the information on those sites (and sights).

I have all 10 Photographer's Caches on my watch list (I liked the idea so much I asked Blackjak for permission in creating my own similar cache).

Even though you've got it fairly well automated, it looks like you are going to be busy. I noticed that you are pretty good about moving people along in deciding their next coordinates - now you've got 5 more! icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I really enjoy those (and hoping one of them eventually makes their way near my area)...

-exConn

------------------

What is Project Virginia?

[This message has been edited by exConn (edited 04 March 2002).]

Guest Markwell

Yea, I'll be busy, but not really too bad. It gives me something to do during the week when I can't cache!

As far as links to the previous ones and archiving and such: when we originally started off with this idea, I was concerned that it would have only one cache and not move around very quickly (see Photographer's VII), so Blackjak and I started talking about hosting multiple ones with separate journeys. We settled on 10, with each of us hosting 5.

Each of the Photographer's Cache pages has links to all the others. They are all active and trying to move around. Until Jeremy officially changes ownership, I'll be working with Blackjak to try to keep on top of the first five.

Got some updating to do!!!

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:

Each of the Photographer's Cache pages has links to all the others. They are all active and trying to move around.

It sounds like the current link here to the tenth cache will be sufficient then, since it's only one more click to check any of the others. Good luck at keeping up with all ten!

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by SherwoodForest:

I guess my new cache would also qualify for this category.

Yes, that's exactly the kind of thing we want to see here. Thanks for sharing it. (And I've got a perfect place that's not very far from where I live to log there, too.) icon_wink.gif

quote:

I'm not sure how to hook up the link, so i'll have to type it...

When you post an entry, you'll see a line to the left of the reply box that says, *UBB Code is On. If you click on the link, a window pops up that explains how to do links, as well as a couple of other handy things. icon_smile.gif

Guest SherwoodForest

ah, thank you for the help, and i am certainly glad to share the info about my cache with y'all. As someone that is in the process of logging several other virtual caches (the Palindrome one, The Covered Bridges, and Ohio Bicentennial Barns), having some central clearing area for people not within 100 miles of the 'random' location to be able to find out about a cache like these would be very useful. (In fact, I hadn't heard of the Covered Bridge Cache until reading this thread earlier today, but there is a bridge about 10 miles from here that I'll try and log now (fortunately I live in an area that has a lot of covered bridges, as well as small towns named for Euro cities)

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:

I hadn't heard of the Covered Bridge Cache until reading this thread earlier today, but there is a bridge about 10 miles from here that I'll try and log.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the Covered Bridge Cache before then, either. And I was just near two of them just over a week ago! (A little over an hour from here. There aren't any closer ones that I know of. Of course, since being introduced to geocaching, I'm learning about a lot of cool places that aren't too far away, that I had no idea even existed...so who knows.) I guess now I have an excuse to go back out and visit those bridges again once the weather turns nice and I've got a free Saturday on my hands. icon_wink.gif