MOD Open Land in the UK

Puzbie

I have been trying to place a cache in some MOD (Ministry of Defence) open land over the last month. I should stress that it is not a danger area, and no live munitions are used there. It is however close to a red flag area.

The first time I placed it, it turned out to be too near to a hidden location of another cache in the same area of woodland. So I moved it. I was still too close, so I moved it again to another location within the same MOD land.

I have now been told that since submitting my cache, the MOD have stated that they no longer want caches:

Since you last submitted your cache for review the MOD have been in contact with the Geocaching Association of Great Britain and have said they do not want geocaches placed on land they own. Negotiations are taking place between the Geocaching Association of Great Britain and the MOD about this but it is looking unlikely the MOD will change their minds. Your cache may not therefore get published where it is. You can wait if you wish to see if the MOD change their minds.

Where can I find out about this? Also, does it mean that you can longer have waypoints in MOD land, or does it just mean you cannot leave caches?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, does it mean that you can longer have waypoints in MOD land, or does it just mean you cannot leave caches?

This rather depends on the true nature of the 'ban'.

Are they totally against anyone visiting their lands, or just against containers left by Geocachers?

It might be possible to have a 'virtual stage' of a multi on their lands that does not involve a container or other object left by you.

This is a real shame, and it will indeed affect hundreds if not thousands of caches in the UK.

Its totally over the top too. I could understand and agree with a ban on cache placement near buildings and the like, but a blanket ban on all MOD land is ridiculous. Does this mean that they will also be putting a stop to the numerous orienteering courses, hash runs and wotnot that also take place on the land? I mean, some of those checkpoint signs you see littered around the place could be a secret code for a terrorist sleeper cell...

Incidently, I did indeed register on the UK site, but that was 2 days ago and I still haven't had the registration approved. This could go some way as to explain why it is so quiet there!

Edited by Puzbie

After considerable discussion the UK Reviewers have decided that no caches can now be published on Ministry of Defence land. More information in my post in the UK forum here.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Incidently, I did indeed register on the UK site, but that was 2 days ago and I still haven't had the registration approved. This could go some way as to explain why it is so quiet there!

The GAGB committee are able to stick up for themselves, but...

Due to a large influx of spammers/spam sites trying to register, a member of the committee will email you.

Have you checked in your spam folder?

You could try the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/thegagb/ which is where most of the chat happens these days, rather than on the 'forums' :(