BenchMark homepage...

DeCoyote

Your Geocaching stats page includes an entry for number of Benchmarks found (it says you've found 3), but they do not add to the cache total.

You can search the database for benchmarks in several ways. One is on each cache or benchmark page to click on "nearby benchmarks". Another is to find the advanced search at http://www.geocaching.com/mark/nearest.aspx

Be sure and read the Benchmark FAQ at http://www.geocaching.com/mark/, and the sticky threads on the forum page.

It is nice, but not essential, to include closeup and area pictures with your log and to update anything in the description that has changed. In benchmark hunting the norm is to be helpful to those who follow, rather than secretive as with caches. Some professional surveyors check this forum when they are looking for usable marks, to see if there is recent news on the condition.

Edited by Bill93

Any new info that you could supply for a BM would be nice.

I found one today and noticed a tree blaze (saw that long before the BM). A number of previous logs but nobody had mentioned it.

Perhaps folks today just aren't as accustomed to spotting (healed) blazes -- thinking such a mark to be accidental in nature.

My father had taught me blazes... well, lessee here... thereabouts 55 yrs ago. Have followed an uncountable number of trail blazes since, finding many surprises at or near the end of such.

Yes, things like a blaze mark on a solitary tree may seem insignificant, but to some it means a lot.

Any new info that you could supply for a BM would be nice.

I found one today and noticed a tree blaze (saw that long before the BM). A number of previous logs but nobody had mentioned it.

Perhaps folks today just aren't as accustomed to spotting (healed) blazes -- thinking such a mark to be accidental in nature.

My father had taught me blazes... well, lessee here... thereabouts 55 yrs ago. Have followed an uncountable number of trail blazes since, finding many surprises at or near the end of such.

Yes, things like a blaze mark on a solitary tree may seem insignificant, but to some it means a lot.

This is an old thread that has many mentions of blazes. We have found some of them and I am always looking for different things to take interesting pictures. That is one of the reasons I enjoy benchmarking.....beautiful places and views, vistas, interesting items (old wooden stands used by the surveyors), lookout trees, animals and just interesting things.

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~