an open invitation

In looking around to see if this topic had been discussed I found a few comments by cachers in this thread about the Spooky Island cache. it's on an island in NYC and no one got to it for over a year. There are a few other island based caches in the area, so I'd like to make an open proposal:

does anyone want to get together and make a group hunt on some of these island caches? Someone needs to provide the boat (I don't have one, otherwise I'd have logged a visit by now)

One comment that was made was this: The water is very shallow, unless you have a sunfish or real small boat with a removable centerboard, you wont be able to sail in, you would have to wade ashore, and that would be a drag this time of year. That was made in February

Pretty soon it will again be too cold. Any takers?

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

This came up last year. I have a personal water craft (1 seater, sorry!) and a 15ft canoe (2 seater). Since I havent installed a trailer hitch on my latest car yet, the PWC is a bit problematic. Not too sure about using a canoe up there with water conditons and boat traffic either. Maybe if we could get a few small craft together it would be safer.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

I think this island is off limits. I asked a few friends who fish in the area they are pretty sure it's not open to the public.

Here's what I know so far:

South brother Island (where the cache is located) and its twin, North Brother Island, are important bird breeding grounds. The Parks Dept has taken over North Brother, and is not open to the general public, but that was fairly easy since the city already owned it. South Brother Island is privately owned, and is considered abandoned. They ARE trying to aquire it, but have not, yet.

TheManhattan Kayak Company currently uses South Brother as a place to beach for lunch on their tour of Riker's Island by Kayak.

Both Islands appear to be open to birdwatchers, and would be a good "cover story" if someone was questioned while hunting the cache.

According to the Coast Guard and DOT The following are the only current restrictions to water access(I haven't plotted them all out yet to see how it would effect the cache)

quote:

NY/NJ OPERATING RESTRICTONS

ANY VESSEL OR PERSON IN THE WATER IS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE FOLLOWING SECURITY ZONES:

-Within 150 yards of Liberty and Ellis Islands;

- United Nations, in the East River along the Manhattan shoreline from 125 yards offshore at the Queensboro Bridge to 175 yards offshore at East 35 th Street;

- Within 25 yards of all bridge piers or abutments, overhead power cables and tunnel ventilators in the waters of the greater NY area and along the Hudson

River;

- Within 100 yards of all anchored or moored Coast Guard vessels,

-Around Piers 84-96, Manhattan, bound by the following points: the northeast corner of Pier 96 where it intersects the seawall, thence to approximate position

40°46’23.1"N, 073°59’59.0"W, thence to approximate posit ion 40°45’55.3"N, 074°00’20.2"W (NAD 1983), thence to the southeast corner of Pier 84 where it

intersects the seawall, thence along the shoreline to the point of origin; and

-The Indian Point Nuclear Power Station on the Hudson River. Within 300-yards of approximate position (41°16’12.4²N, 073°57’16.2²W). All vessels

transiting the Hudson River in the vicinity of Indian Point are subject to random Coast Guard boardings.

RECREATIONAL VESSELS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE FOLLOWING SECURITY ZONES:

-All waters between the Military Ocean and Global Marine Terminals west of the New Jersey Pier Head channel;

-Within a 25-yard radius of every waterfront facility, as defined in 33 CFR 6.01-4; and

-Within a 100-yard radius of any passenger ship, or vessel, or barge carrying petroleum, or chemical, products in bulk.

LNM 31/02 (CGD1)

So, when we going? :

quote:
Originally posted by team bubbletree:

I have a 20ft trophy fishing boat. Is that too big for the waters in the area your talking about?

sounds about right, although some wading may be necesary. Course I know jack about boats so what I think probably shouldn't be relied upon. For the record any weekend this month except 10/5 & 6 & saturday 10/12.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Or you could rent a boat. There are marinas in the South Bronx and City Island. You could split the rental for a 20-ft aluminum with a couple of other 'cachers. In a prior life, I worked for a civil engineer on projects for the Army Corps of Engineers. We worked off the waters of Hunt's Point and Riker's surveying the channels - the distance is not great but the currents are tricky.

quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Tommy:

the distance is not great but the currents are tricky.

I suspected this, which was part of the reason I questioned using a canoe in my first post. While not familiar with that exact area, I do have extensive boating experience in Raritan Bay, New York Harbor, and the Authur Kill. I know all too well that horsepower is usually your best friend in the waters around NYC, followed closely by size.

quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Tommy:

Or you could http://www.cityisland.com/nautical/ a boat. There are marinas in the South Bronx and City Island. You could split the rental for a 20-ft aluminum with a couple of other 'cachers.

however I didn't want to rent/go it alone because of cost/safety/no fun by yourself. as for sharing great, but someone still needs to pilot the boat. Do they usually come with one? I don't think I've been on a boat in 20+ years so I'm serious when I say I don't know.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

In looking around to see if this topic had been discussed I found a few comments by cachers in this thread about the Spooky Island Cache. It's on an island in NYC and no one got to it for over a year.

Strange; it looks to me like someone logged "Spooky Island" less than 2 weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:

In looking around to see if this topic had been discussed I found a few comments by cachers in this thread about the Spooky Island Cache. It's on an island in NYC and no one got to it for over a year.

Strange; it looks to me like someone logged "Spooky Island" less than 2 weeks ago.

i saw that too BP. as for the outing, GWHO, i would like to go to... maybe an official geocaching kyak trip is in order

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

This is not directed at any one person but hopefully will give us all an idea of who is in fact interested in this party cruise.

1) Who's in?

2) If so, do you have any experience in handling an open motorboat (probably a 20 ft aluminum)?

3)If so, can you pilot such a boat through the treacherous cross currents of the Sound and East River with a boatload of backseat drivers all armed with GPSrs kibbitzing on how best to approach the cache? icon_razz.gif

Time's up. Put your pens down.

Depending on the responses, we can guesstimate the number of boat(s) needed and whether anyone can pilot them. Then we can get quotes for rentals from a Bronx marina in City Island. I think City Island would be a better (and safer) place to park, meet and disembark from - the flounder and Sound View caches are nearby as added incentive and the participants can have a nice dinner at the Lobster Box. Then we have to set a date and time convenient for all participants. But first thing's first, can we have a head count?

This is not directed at any one person but hopefully will give us all an idea of who is in fact interested in this party cruise.

1) Who's in?

2) If so, do you have any experience in handling an open motorboat (probably a 20 ft aluminum)?

3)If so, can you pilot such a boat through the treacherous cross currents of the Sound and East River with a boatload of backseat drivers all armed with GPSrs kibbitzing on how best to approach the cache? icon_razz.gif

Time's up. Put your pens down.

Depending on the responses, we can guesstimate the number of boat(s) needed and whether anyone can pilot them. Then we can get quotes for rentals from a Bronx marina in City Island. I think City Island would be a better (and safer) place to park, meet and disembark from - the flounder and Sound View caches are nearby as added incentive and the participants can have a nice dinner at the Lobster Box. Then we have to set a date and time convenient for all participants. But first thing's first, can we have a head count?

1) I am! I am!

2) I hold a NJ boat license, and a State police issued Boating Safety Certificate. I have experience with boats from 9ft to 30ft, from canoes to 70mph hi-perf craft.

3) This is the one that scares me! I have 1000's of hrs experience on the Raritan Bay and surrounding waterways, but have never ventured up into that area. I will say I think if I can take a 19ft bowrider to NY harbor for 4th of july fireworks, and survive 10,000 drunk/newbie/scared of the dark boaters, I can probably handle it

quote:

I have no boating experience.

Sounds as if we have 4 on board so that makes the current list to be...

Me (probably alone)

Mopar

Perfect Tommy

Caruso (+ Joanne, wife I presume)

I did not know that crusso could sing; maybe he should try this dittie:

... "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew ..."

And wow; you've already got more than half the cast aboard; well done!

The Skipper (Mopar, because of his nautical expertise)

Gilligan (Gwho, because his name begins with a G and his lack of nautical expertise)

The Professor (Perfect Tommy, because his avatar resembles the professor)

Mr. and Mrs. Howell (crusso and Joanne, because of his mountain of GeoChips and Joanne is the only female)

Maybe there's still time for Mopar to enlist "Ginger" and "Marianne" ... he might consider that girl from Dunellen. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I hope your adventure is a big success and a lot of fun.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 09, 2002 at 04:13 AM.]

quote:

I have no boating experience.

Sounds as if we have 4 on board so that makes the current list to be...

Me (probably alone)

Mopar

Perfect Tommy

Caruso (+ Joanne, wife I presume)

I did not know that crusso could sing; maybe he should try this dittie:

... "The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew ..."

And wow; you've already got more than half the cast aboard; well done!

The Skipper (Mopar, because of his nautical expertise)

Gilligan (Gwho, because his name begins with a G and his lack of nautical expertise)

The Professor (Perfect Tommy, because his avatar resembles the professor)

Mr. and Mrs. Howell (crusso and Joanne, because of his mountain of GeoChips and Joanne is the only female)

Maybe there's still time for Mopar to enlist "Ginger" and "Marianne" ... he might consider that girl from Dunellen. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I hope your adventure is a big success and a lot of fun.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 09, 2002 at 04:13 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

How did u know I can recite both versions of the Gilligan's Island theme from memory? icon_wink.gif

"Would you believe ..." (in my best imitation of Don Adam's style) it's because I know you are a man of discriminating taste? icon_wink.gif

I guess you should be in charge of planning the sing-along for the boat ride. I suggest a theme of "Vintage TV Theme Songs." Many of them were truly memorable, some less so. Unfortunately, I can no longer recall all of the words for "My Mother the Car" or the one that started "It's about time, It's about space, it's about monkeys and the human race ..." Help me out, Crusso!

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

How did u know I can recite both versions of the Gilligan's Island theme from memory? icon_wink.gif

"Would you believe ..." (in my best imitation of Don Adam's style) it's because I know you are a man of discriminating taste? icon_wink.gif

I guess you should be in charge of planning the sing-along for the boat ride. I suggest a theme of "Vintage TV Theme Songs." Many of them were truly memorable, some less so. Unfortunately, I can no longer recall all of the words for "My Mother the Car" or the one that started "It's about time, It's about space, it's about monkeys and the human race ..." Help me out, Crusso!

Since it looks like I've been voted cruise director ( ah... visions of 'Julie' on the 'Love Boat'... but I digress...). Where was I? Oh yea, How's this for a musical program while we ship out...

Yellow Submarine

Sail Away

Aquarius

Octopus' Garden

Sailing

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Theme from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Theme from Hawaii Five-O

Aqualung

My Captain [Getting closer to my home] (can't think of the actual song title)

And of course (off course?)...

both versions of the Gilligan's Island theme.

I actually put most of this together onto a tape

(tape? what are those?) many years ago to take with me when I stayed on the bottom of a lagoon in FL in an undersea habitat. see here:

http://www.virtualcities.com/~virtual/ons/fl/k/fl35k02.htm

I was part of a diving study for the bends but that's another story altogether...

Anyway.. When Are we doing this???

Give me dates!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!

Our main issue is the boat of course. So final request: who here can offer up use of their boat? looks like perfect tommy can pilot if we need to rent one. also how is the date 11/3 for everyone? how does 11/10 work as an alternate date if that's no good (as may be for me since I may have to work overtime that weekend?)?

appears as if we have 6 interested individuals:

me

mopar

caruso

vonster

& sr doggy.

perfect tommy

Also, if we do this there are several islands in the vicinity that are apparently quite legal to visit. we should all make a group cache. I can provide the container, we should all pool items together for it. (think 6x6x3 ammo box sized items)

also was curious was anyone planning on bringing spouse/kids? Doesn't seem as if one boat would hold more then just the above mentioned geocachers. Or would it? Wouldnt want to overload the boat then end up the next day we are the central figures in some newsday story that resembles one of those horrific indonesian ferry disaster stories.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Any weekend in Nov works for me. FWIW, I did some digging on South Brother - no-one seems to know who owns it, all the various agencies know is that they don't icon_smile.gif "Privately held, but we don't know who," seems to be pretty much the pat response, although Hampton Scows surfaced as one possible, as did Manhattan Sand. Sounds like the bird-watching cover story Mopar suggested would work well.

Hey guys,

As of now I have to be last minute vague about dates I'm available. Just got sworn into the federal gov't on Sun & am going to be in training for the next couple of weeks. My training schedule is such that I don't know yet if I'll have either/both/neither of those Sundays off.

Keep me posted & I'll update as I go. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wherever you go, there you are!