Long logs- bad form or a fun read?

Kissyfurs

Just trying to figure out if I have bad geocaching etiquette or if someone just has a bug up their bum...

I started geocaching for fun- and what fun it’s been! For a few of my finds (or DNFs), it’s been a bit of an adventure. I’ve felt compelled to share those adventures in a few of my logs which, admittedly, may be a bit lengthy- especially compared to “TFTC, SL, TN”. After once such log, someone messaged me (not the cache owner) and told me that the log wasn’t a place for my life story and I should slim it down a bit.

If I owned a cache and someone had more than a quick park and grab, I’d love to hear their story in the log. I figured this was part of the adventure and thought the cache owner and future finders might like to see something a little different. If I’m putting too much or being rude, I can “slim it down a bit” but wanted to get other opinions before doing so.

Here’s the log that prompted the message:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c000fb00-cf76-4701-ba87-c7e2f391a9e2

There is absolutely nothing wrong with long logs and your log is perfectly fine. For many years most people wrote a paragraph or two, or more online AND in the paper logbook. I wish more people would get back to writing a little about their adventures. It's nice to see you are keeping the dying tradition alive.

And for any busybody who has an issue with the length of your logs, tell them "tough cookies".

Edited by briansnat

That person has a bug up their bum, as you so eloquently put it :).

I thought it was a great log....even more so with the added excitement of chasing the FTF. Don't worry about it, write the kind of log you like to write. Most CO's enjoy a good read on one of their caches.

Besides, it wasn't even the CO who was complaining, so that person really should mind their own business. I'll bet the person who complained either A, always logs "TFTC", B, was standing at GZ reading through recent logs for a clue and got annoyed when they had to read through a long one, or C, is a cache owner themselves with 150 crappy film canister hides who gets aggravated with all the annoying emails he/she receives when someone finds one of their caches....."I get 30 finds a day on my caches, I don't have time to read all this!" :(

As someone who's proud to maintain a high average log word count (116) and has run out of log space on a couple of cache logs, I certainly don't see a problem with logs that include lots of information. As long as your log is about the hunt, cache, and experience, go for it.

And as a cache owner, your log is the type I love to see the most. A story of all the trials and tribulations you went through are always a fun read.

That's all you wrote?? Where's the gory details of how the stump jumped up and beat the heck out of your toe? :o Where's the details of how it was a struggle getting back to the car and barely making it out alive? :o Where's the story about how you plotted and planned your strategy to approach GZ? :lol:

Not every cache hunt has a story behind it, but those that do make for some good stories. Tell your tales and revel in their humor and woe, others enjoy a good tale, especially a CO.

That's all you wrote??

That my first thought. :laughing: When the OP said "long logs", I thought we were going to be talking about the logs that are so long they spill out of the "Found it" log and into additional notes. I've written dozens and dozens of logs similar to the OP's, usually on FTFs or DNFs. Here's a recent one that was actually a find on a long-archived-but-still-there cache.

Kissyfurs, I see absolutely nothing wrong with your log. You didn't tell your "life story", you kept on topic and described your experience. I agree with the others that the busybody is probably someone who doesn't put much effort into cache ownership and finds all those [OWNER] emails annoying.

Keep doing what you're doing and set an example!

Wow. It really bothers me that someone would send a personal message to discourage long logs, especially to discourage long logs on other people's caches dry.gif. If it were my cache I'd be even more ticked off. I like reading long meaningful logs. Don't let this person discourage you. Keep up the good work, your trials and tribulations were informative and entertaining. (Sorry about your toe).

Some people are just busybody jerks. <_<

I used to spend hours reading the logs posted by people, whether I was interested in looking for the cache or not. Nowadays, it's so common for nothing to be posted other than "tftc", if even that much. Borrrrring.

I'm astonished at the nerve of the person who messaged you. It was rude, and uncalled for.

Keep up writing logs as long as you like. I found your log entertaining and informative.

Hope your toe is doing okay now.

B.

After once such log, someone messaged me (not the cache owner) and told me that the log wasn’t a place for my life story and I should slim it down a bit.

If someone ever complained that my logs were too long I would in no uncertain terms tell them to go F themselves. :mad:

In a world where the majority of logs are "TFTC", ".", or some meaningless catchphrase (ex: a local cacher logs everything "IN-N-OUT") to criticize anyone's log length seems absurd. Most COs appreciate a good log, especially given how many irrelevant ones they usually get. Write on!

Edited by Joshism

I myself prefer someone to add more than just TFTC. OK your so busy you can't even type out Thank you. I like to read the logs of my caches and I like to read stories like yours. Someone is just upset because they didn't have that much to say. Oh well Keep on posting LONG logs. I know exactly what I would have wrote back to them. But, I am blunt and mouthy.

but now we have a CO that is complaining about long online logs? Sad.

You must have missed where the OP said the complaint wasn't from the cache owner. B)

One of the things I love to do with this game is read about others experience with caches I have found. Long logs that tell the story are great. TFTC, not so much.

I’ve felt compelled to share those adventures in a few of my logs which, admittedly, may be a bit lengthy- especially compared to “TFTC, SL, TN”. After once such log, someone messaged me (not the cache owner) and told me that the log wasn’t a place for my life story and I should slim it down a bit.

Someone will be upset if you typed “TFTC, SL, TN”. Probably that same guy. :rolleyes:

That was a great log (IMHO). GS imposes a length limit on logs and I think that logs that run to additional notes are too long, but I'd sure rather read one like yours than just TFTC--or, what irks me, "Tftc." Keep up the good work and don't listen to the gripers.

Just trying to figure out if I have bad geocaching etiquette or if someone just has a bug up their bum...

I have to admit that when I saw the topic, I thought the OP was complaining about long logs, and I was eager to give them a piece of my mind. Instead I find a group of like minded individuals here that enjoy a good story. We're not all extinct yet. I still occasionally write a long nostalgic log OUT IN THE FIELD LOG / NOTEBOOK (I don't mean from a Cell Phone) for a cache that reminds me of the good old days. It often took longer back then to read through the logbook than it took to make the find.

Actually, I think I liked your recent circuitous Johnstown Park FIND even more. And it was GASP, even longer. You are about as close to Pittsburgh as I am to Philadelphia. If you ever travel 150 miles East, please find one or two of my multi hour Multi-Caches and write stories as long as you like.

I have to admit that when I saw the topic, I thought the OP was complaining about long logs, and I was eager to give them a piece of my mind. Instead I find a group of like minded individuals here that enjoy a good story. We're not all extinct yet. I still occasionally write a long nostalgic log OUT IN THE FIELD LOG / NOTEBOOK (I don't mean from a Cell Phone) for a cache that reminds me of the good old days. It often took longer back then to read through the logbook than it took to make the find.

Actually, I think I liked your recent circuitous Johnstown Park FIND even more. And it was GASP, even longer. You are about as close to Pittsburgh as I am to Philadelphia. If you ever travel 150 miles East, please find one or two of my multi hour Multi-Caches and write stories as long as you like.

I will keep it in mind when I head towards Gettysburg in a few weeks!

If I have a story to tell about the finding (or not) of a cache then I write it.Even if it's just a "I looked int the wrong bush for 1/2hr and then walked to the right one and found it in seconds".

Sometimes there is nothing to write and it gets a straight forward TFTC.......

If anyone tells me to stop writing my long ones, I';l tell them where to go :P

We find about two-thirds of our caches by bicycle or kayak. And we travel a lot. So, for us, the journey can be more interesting than the find. That is what we write about and that leads to longer than average logs (over 300 characters on average.) No one complains and it wouldn't change how we do things if someone did complain. Those logs are a record of our adventures and, along with our photographs, serve to remind us of some of the great times we have had geocaching.

As in your case, DNFs often lead to some great and lengthy logs: see Pristine Pebble Property for a log that required an additional note to tell the whole story

I thought it a fun read - and a DNF to boot!

Your log length is similar to my average and if you continue, don't be surprised that you get more emails thanking you for the fun read than any asking to keep it short.

Looking further, logs and pics show you're having a great time with the family and you reflect it in your writings.

- By replies here, you now know that what you're doing is not only okay, but appreciated and if searching the many threads on this subject, you'd find most would prefer a wordy log over acronyms.

Here in the NE part of your State, we'd like to see more logs like yours.

Hope your toe's not throbbing. Cache safe.

I think I'll contribute to this discussion as well. But, first off, one thing: I am not brief.

One thing that bugs the mess out of me is short, generic logs. If I'm having a difficult time locating a cache, I want to look at the logs to see if anyone else had the same experience. If all I see are generic logs, I can't tell if people had to call for a hint, they replaced the cache, the coordinates were off, etc. I have to wade through all that trash to see an honest log that specifically mentions that cache. This is one of the reasons why I don't like short logs.

Of course, I don't like receiving them. I don't put out park and grabs. If I see a copy and paste log on one of my rather creative caches or one that took me a few hours to place, I will be offended and not think kindly towards that person.

Yes, unique logs that required thought were the norm early in caching and seemed to phase out of style in my area some time between 2008 and 2009. I blame the brain dead park and grabs for this, ones that are placed on street signs or in parking centers. However, I also acknowledge those are the bread and butter of power caching, so it's difficult to argue against them. Yes, people just don't have the time to devote these days to spending ten minutes to type a log for a cache that took them a couple minutes to find. As long as I acknowledge that, that's fine; I can do so all I want because I'm not harming anyone's fun and I might even be contributing a little fun myself.

That said, save for my power caching trips, I write unique logs on everything I find. Besides, when someone calls me for a hint, all I have to do is read my log and I'll be able to remember the cache and direct them. No, I don't describe the container or area in my logs; I write what was going on and, perhaps, what I was thinking about at the time. All this will jog my memory and I'll be able to help people.

-----

Perhaps I should mention the term epic logging? If you like stories, sit back and peruse a few epic logs I have written:

Atop the Rock - 8 logs long - February 19, 2012

Bradley's Bottom - 8 logs long - July 4, 2012

The Sands of Time - 4 logs long - July 7, 2012

Wildlife - 13 logs long - February 16, 2013

Murphy to Manteo Challenge - 6 logs long - April 6, 2013

And, by the way, it seems my epic logging has inspired others to create some of their own on those caches. I take this as a compliment. I don't hear much feedback from my logs, but that's fine. I write them because it's fun to tell a story and my skills as a writer need exercising. None of these logs start out intentionally as an epic log and I do not aim for a certain log, page, word, or character count. I continue telling my story until there is nothing much left to tell. Only then do I stop. If what I've written maxes out the 4,000 character limit by a great deal, I split the log up and post it in as few additional notes as possible.

-----

I'll leave you with this thought: what is your geocaching legacy? What will you leave behind after you leave this game? For most of us, the only evidence we were here is a scribble on a log book and log online. When we're gone, only our words will be left to speak for us. I want my legacy to be rich and full. I want to have fun and express myself in the present.

Here is our "long" log from our favourite DNF: Elf-ish Has Left Building

This is absolutely the first time I've heard of anyone complaining of TOO long logs! The fact that it wasn't even the cache owner makes it twice as ridiculous. A cache log is the story of your experience, not a line of information owed to other cachers. Say what you want to say! If I happen to glean a hint from it, all the more lucky for me. :D

When we do "power trails" - a number of caches on a real hiking/biking trail, called a "series" in our area - we write a whole story divided into bits so the cache owner receives a paragraph in each email. On their own they don't make sense, but if one is so inclined they can read the tale by starting at cache number one and scrolling through.

PRED01 PRED02 PRED03 PRED04 PRED05 ... (they carry on to 40!)

Write a whole book if you want to. That's your box. The other guy can write TFTC in his box.

I love long logs and I try my best to write something worth reading. Even a couple of sentences if the cache wasn't all that impressive. There's a cacher in my state that writes paragraph long logs and I love it when she finds my caches!

So go ahead - write until your heart's content!

Thanks for all the great feedback. Your responses have convinced me to take even more time on my logs and really give people something to enjoy. No more two sentence logs from me. The world is about to hear about every bloody toe, every misguided bushwack, every bee's nest and every attacking furry (and non-furry) critter.

PS- the toe still hurts like a mother-something. To add insult to injury, the FTF went to a guy who beat me the previous day by 14 minutes on what would have been my first EVER FTF. As of this writing, I am still sporting a band-aid on my tootsie and FTF-less :cry:

Thanks for all the great feedback. Your responses have convinced me to take even more time on my logs and really give people something to enjoy. No more two sentence logs from me. The world is about to hear about every bloody toe, every misguided bushwack, every bee's nest and every attacking furry (and non-furry) critter.

PS- the toe still hurts like a mother-something. To add insult to injury, the FTF went to a guy who beat me the previous day by 14 minutes on what would have been my first EVER FTF. As of this writing, I am still sporting a band-aid on my tootsie and FTF-less :cry:

First, I too enjoy descriptive logs and loved reading about your DNF experience. Sorry about the toe. Suggest you put big notes on your flip-flops saying "NOT SUITABLE FOR GEOCACHING!"

Second, since we cannot "watch" a cacher as we can a cache, please let us know when you have logged your first FTF, I love to read that log and I'm sure I'm not alone! Thanks for your positive contributions to the geocaching community.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

I always try to write meaningful logs, but let's face it, some caches just don't deserve it. Why should I put more thought and effort into my log than the CO put into the hide? If the CO's entire cache description consists of "Quick P&G", why would I want to put much effort into thanking him for his film canister under a bush?

Even if the cache was crappy, though, I still can't bring myself to log just an acronym. I have to write something. Even if it's just a sentence. Maybe I'll try to revive the DPM log, :)

Conversely, I think that a cache of high quality deserves a lengthier log. It just irritates me to find an awesome cache, one that has earned numerous Fave points, one that everyone raves about, and see that someone just logged "TFTC" or even worse, ":)". To me that just smacks of entitlement.

I always try to write meaningful logs, but let's face it, some caches just don't deserve it. Why should I put more thought and effort into my log than the CO put into the hide? If the CO's entire cache description consists of "Quick P&G", why would I want to put much effort into thanking him for his film canister under a bush?

Even if the cache was crappy, though, I still can't bring myself to log just an acronym. I have to write something. Even if it's just a sentence. Maybe I'll try to revive the DPM log, :)

Conversely, I think that a cache of high quality deserves a lengthier log. It just irritates me to find an awesome cache, one that has earned numerous Fave points, one that everyone raves about, and see that someone just logged "TFTC" or even worse, ":)". To me that just smacks of entitlement.

and laziness, and ignorance, and inconsideration, and ....a lot of other things I probably shouldn't say here.

I love to hear the story of the adventure, and have tried upping my own logs since becoming a CO.

Guys, the longer the better for me as a cache owner. I love to hear what adventures you have finding my caches and I have often replied back to the finder with a thank you note. Because that's what makes creating a cool cache special, especially when you spend alot of time creating the cache container, finding somewhere special to place it and then spend all the time creating the story and the cache page. Nothing bites more than a TFTC, when you know its not an eclispe tin stuck to a roadside barrier!

Hey, I'm no expert but I try to create memorable caches, that either need a bit of thought to find or have a great story! But everyone caches differently and that's what makes the world rock!

I'd love to receive one of your logs kissyfurs, so come to the 2013 Auckland, NZ Mega then head north!

You go! And if another busybody gives you a hard time you send them here and we'll take care of him.

I'll add to the log as long as you like. I write longer logs when the adventure or the cache or both provided the inspiration to do so. I still enjoy reading the cache pages and logs for the caches I go after. I appreciate a well done page as much as a well done log. When I started 4 years ago most of my caching was with my son. He doesn't cache as much now, so I enjoy from time to time going back and reading the logs I wrote about our adventures. Keep writing!

Well gosh. When you said you got a message saying "the log wasn’t a place for my life story", I had this idea that maybe you wrote something like this:

"I was born on the eleventy-seventh day of Smarchtober. The labor, which began just as the morning sun broke the horizon continued all day through two thunderstorms and ended just as the stars were beginning to glimmer softly in the evening sky. I would like to say I was outraged when the doctor smacked my bare bottom, but I really can't remember that part. I choose to think I was, though"

And honestly, if you did write that sort of thing, it would still be the kind of log a lot of people would enjoy reading. I know I would.

But the log you wrote was very relevant to the cache and your experience with it, and in my opinion doesn't really even qualify as "long".

You're doing fine. Keep writing the good write.

Hello there, I'm the dude who writes the one-word logs in your area that say "Published." But, my player account's logs are a bit longer. Averaging more than 100 words each over the course of nearly 5000 cache hunts, I've written more than half a million words about geocaching adventures. It's becoming a lost art, but I'll never change.

There are a few people in this area -- as in most areas -- who take it upon themselves to complain about things that really don't need complaining about. I get emails complaining about the complainers, so I know who they are. They're a very small minority. Pay them no heed, and write what you're moved to write. If a complaint rises to the level of a Terms of Use violation (bad language, threats, etc.), forward it to Groundspeak.

I started geocaching for fun- and what fun it’s been! For a few of my finds (or DNFs), it’s been a bit of an adventure. I’ve felt compelled to share those adventures in a few of my logs which, admittedly, may be a bit lengthy- especially compared to “TFTC, SL, TN”. After once such log, someone messaged me (not the cache owner) and told me that the log wasn’t a place for my life story and I should slim it down a bit.

If I owned a cache and someone had more than a quick park and grab, I’d love to hear their story in the log. I figured this was part of the adventure and thought the cache owner and future finders might like to see something a little different. If I’m putting too much or being rude, I can “slim it down a bit” but wanted to get other opinions before doing so.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c000fb00-cf76-4701-ba87-c7e2f391a9e2

I think it was a good report - a fun read and I would love people to write like this in my caches.

Well done.

Edited by Keystone
fixed quote tags

For us, the logs we enter tend to be on the longer side.

Does everyone like them...nope.

For any given cache run, we list:

All of the towns we visited, any specific goals for the run (FTF, Challenge, Cache Type...whatever), weather conditions, cache specific adventures / information, status/condition of log, whether we traded SWAG or not, whether we retreived or left a trackable, always some sort of thank and well wishing such as Happy Caching, what # of find this was on the cache run and the total # of finds the cache was for us.

In the end, the log can be a bit long.

We post this information for three groups of folks;

1. Subsequent cachers (only if they want to read it)

2. The CO (only if they want to read it)

3. Us (there have been a number of times when we were asked for help on a phone a friend where reading our own log helped to jog our memories)

As a cache owner, TFTC gets stale after a bit.

Yes, the amount of information we write may be overkill, but each to their own.

Remember, there are some people who will complain if their ice cream is cold.

By the way, we ALWAYS love to read longer logs!

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob

We have a couple other hobbies that have large groups in them. The one thing that I tell the new people that we meet is that at least 90%-95% of those in these groups are really fun people to be around and you should get to know them. However there are a few that are real jerks that you should a void. But to a void them you will first need to find out who they are. This part is very easy to do. A lot of the time these few will either say or do something to you to let you know just who they are. So think of that email that you got as a notice of who and what this person is.

If you have a story to tell, then tell it. If you had an adventure then share it. Those that are not interested don't need to read it.

Tobias

Here is something to check out about average 'Found It' log lengths. If the link doesn't work go to http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com and click on "Extras" at the top, then click on "Average 'Found It' Log Length".

We have found 5081 caches and have an average Found It log of 455 characters per log. For a total of 2,311,855 characters typed so far. Compared to some we are a lightweight when it comes to writing logs.

Tobias

Personally, I wish you'd come find some of mine so I could read what you would say.

For the record, anyone is welcome to write an entire novel in their log if they choose to...just as long as it's actually about THAT PARTICULAR CACHE. The only time I DON'T like a long log is when it's a copy/paste job generally describing their cross-country caching adventure but never actually mentioning the cache they are logging. (example)