Maps on iPad

BrewerMD

I can not believe that I am the only person with this issue but perhaps I am. Maps on the iPad are very inconsistent on performance. The worse problem is getting cache info when you tap on the icon on the map. I have tried zooming in, I have tried zooming out, I tap the screen lightly, I tap more aggressively, I hold the tap longer. Yet I can not get the cache info box to show up most of the time. What. Is the secret here?

I can not believe that I am the only person with this issue but perhaps I am. Maps on the iPad are very inconsistent on performance. The worse problem is getting cache info when you tap on the icon on the map. I have tried zooming in, I have tried zooming out, I tap the screen lightly, I tap more aggressively, I hold the tap longer. Yet I can not get the cache info box to show up most of the time. What. Is the secret here?

Solved my own issue. Works in chrome on iPad, does not work on safari on iPad.

Hmmm, I have the same issue, and switching to Chrome did not solve the problem.

Any good suggestions?

Keldvisti

Any good suggestions?

Keldvisti

Try one of the apps?

Any good suggestions?

Keldvisti

Try one of the apps?

I do like the familiarity in the native website when surfing the geocaching.com on the iPad, but I al really annoyed over the problem with tapping on the map not working.

I have tried various apps, dó you have a favourite you would recommend?

Any good suggestions?

Keldvisti

Try one of the apps?

I do like the familiarity in the native website when surfing the geocaching.com on the iPad, but I al really annoyed over the problem with tapping on the map not working.

I have tried various apps, dó you have a favourite you would recommend?

I've only ever used the paid Groundspeak app. I've heard good things about c:geo. However, there is one app that I can't even remember the name of, but it was missing the majority of caches available. So, if you try a few out I would compare it to the geocaching.com map. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions for apps, I will certainly look at them.

The main issue is still the maps not working on the IPad when using the native www.geocaching.com.

As BrewerMD wrote in the opening post on this thread, we cannot be the only two with this issue.

This makes me nuts too. No idea why and no apparent solution anywhere. I love the iPad but I wish there was an answer.

Also a frustrated user, but this is a long term problem with the site.

To me, the problem appears to be related to one of two things:

- a slow internet connection, meaning that some of the javascript/css does not load

- clicking on something before the page has fully loaded.

Related issues

When you click one of the icons, there should be a callback function which displays the info box, but if you click before the code is available... nothing will happen, and could cause other errors. In general, there is just too much javascript required to get all the functionality.

The App is OK when trying to cache locally - but for planning future trips, the website map is so much easier.