Multiple Proxys

donald999

Is it okay to release multiple trackable proxys? I wish to replicate several laminated copies of the tracking code, and request that they only be DISCOVERED.

Each item will have the same tracking code on it, as well as a special Identity Code

When people find a proxy I will request they post a picture of the proxy they found as well as the Identity code that I provided.

Is this wrong? Technically I paid for the original code so I don't see why this is a problem. I would like to name the page Don's Discovery

Is this wrong? Technically I paid for the original code so I don't see why this is a problem. I would like to name the page Don's Discovery

Yes it is wrong, just like posting the same question multiple times. And you technically paid for the trackable, not the code. You're not supposed to by a CD then make illegal copies of the CD. You can't buy a vehicle then use the VIN on a different vehicle.

You could get the trackable locked by Groundspeak, then you paid for a chunk of metal that's useless now. And if you expect people to only discover it, well then you're in for a surprise. People don't follow the rules...people will grab it from you, one person will drop it in one cache, then someone will pick it up on the other side of the country...

Why two threads....?

Probably just double-clicked at the wrong time. Or it didn't refresh fast enough so he thought it didn't go through and resubmitted he question. I'm sure it was a harmless error. No need to beat the guy up over it.

I agree, sometimes the double threads are technical errors and can happen.

But one shouldn't release several proxies with the same tracking number.

Even though, the number and the trackable was purchased, it is very confusing to have trackables out in the caches, which have the same number. The grabbing and dropping in caches would be just crazy.

Imagine, having a trackable retrieved from a cache and someone grabbs it out of your inventory, cause they found proxy #2 in a different cache. Both are right, both have a trackable with that number.

Discover only might be an option, but then you can't track it's journey.

I would strongly advise not to release several items with the same number, the confusion especially with new cachers will be huge.

1 hour ago, GimpnPuff said:

What is the official HQ policy on proxys??  Are there Geocache police that throw them away?  What is the problem?

AFAIK the site hasn't put out a "policy" on them, and not sure what you mean by "geocache police" in this regard.  Usually that term is meant for those who may go a bit overboard on cache actions, not trackables.   

There are some people who get upset if a laminated piece of paper is in a cache instead of a "coin", but I'd think there may well be a reason they were so interested (then upset) in the first place.  Might be better to lose it than a coin costing a few bucks in those cases...

There are metal coin shaped proxies available that have approved Groundspeak art and can travel in a flip just like a "real" coin with the tracking number on it. ONLY if it goes missing should a second be released. It causes confusion when different cachers log they found it and or moving when it is in more than one location.. Feel free to pm me a message if you would like more info