Pocket Query - Selection Process.

Chris-King

I am quite adept at setting up PQS for my GPS, however one topic that stumps me, is how do I get the PQ to select the caches in my postcode area including ones that are disabled (not archived), so when the cache is enabled again it updates, do I need to do the disabled ones as a separate PQ (if so, how I exclude Archived ones), at present my PQ is extracting caches that are set as 'Is enabled', and works fine, but if the cache is disable (missing etc or temporarily disabled), the last entry my GPS gets is the last 'found' and not the 'Temporary Disabled' log, from the listing or any others after this, so from my GPS it looks like its still active. I tried to do the same PQ for just disabled, but started getting all archived caches and disabled as well, which was too many!.

What are the settings to get that set correctly?

Cheers :)

I tried to do the same PQ for just disabled, but started getting all archived caches and disabled as well, which was too many!.

I think if you look at that one again, you'll see that you're mistaken. You will never receive archived caches in a PQ unless you're doing a PQ of a bookmark list containing archived caches. The only caches you would get in the PQ you described above would be caches that are disabled.

Anyway, if you want to get all caches in your PQ including disabled ones, you'd need to untick "Is Enabled".

Are you clearing your GPS before loading new PQs? If not, and you have your PQ is set to include only enabled caches then when a cache gets disabled, it won't be in the new PQ. If you leave old caches on the GPS and load over it, matching caches should be updated but if there is no cache in the new PQ because it just got disabled, it won't update and will show on your GPS as disabled enabled. This is also true with archived caches as they will never be included in a normal PQ.

It is always best to clear your GPS and reload it with a fresh PQ.

Edited by Don_J

Thanks for all your replies, I am using GSAK, and generating two GPX files, one for the area I work in during the week (mon-fri) and one for the area I live in. both have unique names, and they are overwritten each time GSAK exports from the database to the GPX files. So if I have "home.gpx" and "work.gpx" I continuously overwrite both with new home.gpx and work.gpx each time I do the GSAK export/update my GPS.

One thing I did notice was a cache on the GSAK is showing a "disabled' last log in the GSAK software, but when i open the link to the cache, its been archived.?

I continuously overwrite both with new home.gpx and work.gpx each time I do the GSAK export/update my GPS.

You're adding new data, "overwrite", but unless you clear the database first, a cache from an old PQ that has been archived since your last pocket query will still be in the database, with whatever status it had at the time of the previous Pocket query.

I hope that makes sense.

You can add the new data, then filter on "date of last GPX" - any cache in the database with a last GPX date not from the current PQ is archived. Once you've filtered for those caches, delete them.

You'll also need to clear the all caches from your gps, and upload the new, filtered caches from GSAK.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hi

Let me just get my head round this.. :)

1) On my GPS, as I am actually overwriting the GPX files completely with new generated ones, the GPS would be correct?

2) My GSAK database needs purging of archived caches? so how do I do the filter - or if not which part do I need to filter on and how (I already have filters for xx mile radius etc, so can add to those. so if I add a filter for 'Date of Last GPX' whats the match field (i.e. can you do with GSAK Date of Last GPX not date of PQ? or is it easier to filter on archived, delete them, then reupdate it?

Chris

Edited by Chris-King

http://markwell.us/archivedcaches.htm

Purging your database

This is by far the easiest way. When you are importing your data to GSAK, click the setting found in the image to the right below.

This will purge all of the logs, markings, waypoints, additional waypoints and all other data from the database prior to loading the new data. Since archived caches weren't included in the pocket queries, the archived caches are deleted with the purge and won't refresh.

pqarchive_eraseold.jpg

http://markwell.us/archivedcaches.htm

Purging your database

This is by far the easiest way. When you are importing your data to GSAK, click the setting found in the image to the right below.

This will purge all of the logs, markings, waypoints, additional waypoints and all other data from the database prior to loading the new data. Since archived caches weren't included in the pocket queries, the archived caches are deleted with the purge and won't refresh.

pqarchive_eraseold.jpg

But obviously you need to load your MyFinds PQ to keep the stats right, as some of the caches you do, and found, could have been archived.

Hi

1) On my GPS, as I am actually overwriting the GPX files completely with new generated ones, the GPS would be correct?

2) My GSAK database needs purging of archived caches? so how do I do the filter - or if not which part do I need to filter on and how (I already have filters for xx mile radius etc, so can add to those. so if I add a filter for 'Date of Last GPX' whats the match field (i.e. can you do with GSAK Date of Last GPX not date of PQ? or is it easier to filter on archived, delete them, then reupdate it?

Chris

1) You don't indicate what type of GPS that you have, but if it is a Garmin paperless unit, when it sees a new GPX file of the same name, it simply updates the matching caches. It does not purge it's internal database first so any unmatched caches will remain just as they were. You need to delete the file, reboot the GPS, then load the new file and reboot it again.

2) In GSAK, a PQ can not mark a cache as archived as there would be no information in the PQ. I use a different method the Markwell suggested. If you look under his highlight in the image, you'll see "Set User Flag", I set that along with "Clear all User Flags First". After you load your PQ(s), filter on User Flag=Not Set. This will show you just caches that were not updated. If you are using GSAK 8, you can then use the Geocaching.com Access menu/Status Check to update the status on those caches.

Hi

Chris

1) You don't indicate what type of GPS that you have, but if it is a Garmin paperless unit, when it sees a new GPX file of the same name, it simply updates the matching caches. It does not purge it's internal database first so any unmatched caches will remain just as they were. You need to delete the file, reboot the GPS, then load the new file and reboot it again.

2) In GSAK, a PQ can not mark a cache as archived as there would be no information in the PQ. I use a different method the Markwell suggested. If you look under his highlight in the image, you'll see "Set User Flag", I set that along with "Clear all User Flags First". After you load your PQ(s), filter on User Flag=Not Set. This will show you just caches that were not updated. If you are using GSAK 8, you can then use the Geocaching.com Access menu/Status Check to update the status on those caches.

Yes I use a Paperless Garmin unit.

I was referring to keeping the "My Finds" in there, so that when I want to run the Stats plug in from the database it reflects the right total. - was not thinking of having two databases...

In regards to the 'easiest' manual way to purge the database from Markwell, I tend to use the Download PQ API from the menu, so therefore I assume it would be easier to purge the database first, then use the download API option each time to get a new data load.