Unusual happening/Hazard of geocaching

Guest Wesley Horton

Guest Wesley Horton

Hello all,

I have a tale of woe and unexpected to tell about placing a cache on Friday, Aug 17, 01. I was going to a park area in East Oklahoma City. I had just parked by an abandonded BMX site and gotten out of the car. I was getting to walk to the area where I planned to stash the cache, when I hear this loud but pittiful "Meeeeowwwww." Look over and what do I see but this black kitten with a coat thats to shiney and clean for her to have been here long. I take a few moments and look around for mother or Siblings and find none. The animal shelter is only a few blocks away, and I can't leave this little kitten here. It's 6:30 pm Friday and the shelter is locked up. I see some cars on the other side and go around to find someone. After hemming and hawing, the guy tells me he will take the kitten but he only has about a 3% chance of being adopted. Not accecptable I thought and took the kitten with me.

Go back to place my cache, and don't have the nerve to leave her in the car (even though it was much cooler outside) Kitten lets me carry her for a few yards then jumps out of my hands and starts following me. Into the wooded area we go . . she stays with me. Place the Cache, she stays with me. Walk out, she stays with me. To make I long story short, it looks like I have a new cat. I guess it serves me right as I had posted a message about what to leave in a cache and put in the smart *** remark, put in that "Pesky cat Whiskers," (Which is my other cats name. . . ) Serves me right. The little fella that I took really needed a friend and stuck with me. I'm calling her L.C. for Lucky Cache. I'm going to nominate her to be the first official cat of Geocaching. And I thought I was going to place a cache!

Regards,

Wesley Horton

Guest ClayJar

I think, perhaps, that I should not have let my cat read this one. She's already become apprehensive about me leaving, since I've gone on several weekend cache hunts (and returned to a very lonely, but quite well-fed cat). Now, I'm going to have to assure her that I'm not seeing other cats, too. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

I think, perhaps, that I should not have let my cat read this one. She's already become apprehensive about me leaving, since I've gone on several weekend cache hunts (and returned to a very lonely, but quite well-fed cat). Now, I'm going to have to assure her that I'm not seeing other cats, too. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest jeremy

I'd suggest that you attach a log book to the little kitten and make it a hitchiker for the cache, but folks with less of a sense of humor would assume I'm not joking. icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

I'd suggest that you attach a log book to the little kitten and make it a hitchiker for the cache, but folks with less of a sense of humor would assume I'm not joking. icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

moving. Hmmmm...

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 18 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Good show WH !

hope there isn't a broken hearted kid near by ( sorry for introducing a dark cloud). Dog people get to take their critters with them on hunts, but cats will hang out and be purrrfectly happy in your lap while you're on-line looking for the next hunt. I 'inherited' Yuppie, the (turned out to be) AutoCAD Guru from my brother a few years back, but alas old (22) age took her. Perhaps I'll find a Cache Cat as well cool.gif .

Guest Wesley Horton

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the the kind words about L.C. (Lucky Cache) the cat. She is doing well, although P.C. (Pesky Cat) Whiskers the older Siamese isn't too thrilled . . .

I don't think there is much possibility that there are any kids missing pets, as the area is quite a ways from any residences (save one) and very close to the OKC animal Shelter which is where I suspect was her intended destination by someone until they discovered the shelter was closed.

I would like to nominate her as the offical cat of geoCATching at the least. I wouldn't want to take the title away from anyone.

I should add that I caught her this morning looking through a topo map, hummm......

The idea of a toy stuffed animal black cat with a traveler tag is a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find a small one.

Regards,

Wesley Horton

Guest Hounddog

Hey!! anyone want my cat. The same one who at this moment is stifling my attempts to type this letter because she is walking back and forth in front of my monitor to get my attention. The same one who sits on the monitor vent on cold night blocking the air flow just so she can get warm even though I have roused on her a thousand and 1 times for it.

I have an idea....hmmmm if I poke some holes in the cache lid she'll be ok until.....hmmm

watch out nest cache hunter.

Guest mtn-man

The Geocaching cat is too cool. My cats would love to go Geocaching, but they would just eat grass. I like to take my dog, J.C. the *puppymonster*. He was with me when I hid two of my caches, and has been at 7 of the 30 I have found to date. He pointed out some small multi-cache segments. He is known in the Southeast GGA circles. I thought about making a username for him, and logging some caches with *Bark bark bark, bark bark bark bark bark!* messages. I figured Jeremy would get tired of the messages, though. (I still have wanted to.) Good caching and good hiking... mtn-man and the puppymonster (BARK!!!)

JCRockandHardPlace.jpg

[This message has been edited by mtn-man (edited 01 September 2001).]