Using iPhone abroad

ivormo

I am quite new to Geocaching and use my iphone5 as my GPS. I haven't the faintest idea what it uses to contact Geocaching.com for cache info etc but presume it is through my service provider (EE) when in UK.

I shall be heading to France next week and am wondering whether this means that I shall be charged as roving by my provider that is likely to cost a fortune! Am I correct? If so, is it possible to download cache details in the area I shall be visiting while in UK and then rely on the phone GPS to track them - or will I need to purchase a hand-held GPS?

Any advice will be appreciated.

In answer to your first question - yes you could run up a big bill with data roaming.

I am not sure if you can download caches, I think it is possible but having never done it myself....

Is it worth talking to the phone people about charges and how much it would cost for data roaming, may be cheaper than paying £150 for a GPS.

Having said that, if you are likely to carry on geocaching a GPS is always a good investment as mobile phone coverage is pretty rubbish especially when you are on a 5 mile hike through dense woodland. :smile:

We are planning a trip out of the country. I will load up pocket queries (although I use Geosphere to manage them because its filtering capabilities are much stronger than the Groundspeak app). I plan to cache the iPhone's maps using wifi, but I also have offline mapping that interfaces nicely with the app I use to get me to specific caches.

I have tried saving individual caches using the Groundspeak app but found it cumbersome. My needs are simple. I don't have much interest in finding traditionals unless I am otherwise there. I have a handheld so the phone is just to make things simpler or have access to the cache page photos or an easier to read description.

Yes you can download caches to the iPhone. Easiest way is Pocket Queries. You can save a pocket query (and even maps) to the iPhone.

I do that when I travel. I also have a standalone GPS which I use but it is not "paperless"; so I use the iPhone to look up details of the caches. But you can also navigate with the iPhone this way (the GPS on the iPhone continues to work when you turn data roaming off).

Yes you can download caches to the iPhone. Easiest way is Pocket Queries. You can save a pocket query (and even maps) to the iPhone.

I do that when I travel. I also have a standalone GPS which I use but it is not "paperless"; so I use the iPhone to look up details of the caches. But you can also navigate with the iPhone this way (the GPS on the iPhone continues to work when you turn data roaming off).

This is what I do as well, though I don't bother with saving the map images since I have a handheld GPS (with Garmin openstreet maps when I'm traveling). You can navigate just fine to caches using the compass screen. Turning off data roaming *before* you leave the country is a good idea to avoid astronomical data roaming charges. I use the official geocaching app and create and save PQs for where I'll be traveling before I leave home and all the cache data will be on my phone before I leave (rather than downloading it in real time using a data connection). It's worked for my for many different countries on several continents.

Thank you for all the advice. As a result of this, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a GPS. Unfortunately, the Garmin that I have purchased is supplied with an OS map on an SD card that doesn't fit the unit - very clever, I don't think!!

Thank you for all the advice. As a result of this, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a GPS. Unfortunately, the Garmin that I have purchased is supplied with an OS map on an SD card that doesn't fit the unit - very clever, I don't think!!

Are you sure it's not a micro SD? A really tiny SD card that will fit in your GPSr, or phone, but it comes with an adapter to normal sized. Maybe it's in the adapter-or is it a small one and you need a big one?

Are you sure it's not a micro SD? A really tiny SD card that will fit in your GPSr, or phone, but it comes with an adapter to normal sized. Maybe it's in the adapter-or is it a small one and you need a big one?

You are correct - I've subsequently discovered it hiding away in the adapter. Have to admit that when I saw the standard SD card with contacts etc., I didn't realise the micro was inside. Oh the joys of getting old!

Now just need to figure out how to use it

If you discover that the maps that came with it don't cover the area where you'll be going on holiday check out the OSM routable maps for Garmin (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/). I don't know which model Garmin you got (good move getting the dedicated GPS though) but you might consider buying an additional blank micro-SD card or two that you can use for copy the OSM maps and/or cache listings for travel. They're inexpensive and you can just swap the cards in/out of your GPS depending on whether you're caching near home or when traveling. That's what I do and it works pretty well.

Oh, and you probably out to try and figure out as much as you can about how to use your new GPS well before you rely on it for finding caches in another country.

I actually have been faced with this problem recently. I went out and bought a garmen Oregon 450 fought with the maps the mini SD ect. Then decided to look more closely at the iPhone app, which I'm more used to, and made this realization. If I do some big PQs and save for offline use with the maps ect. It had just as good functionality as the Garmen even with cellular data and wifi off. I'm sort of lost as to why I decided I needed the garmen and think I'm going to return it. Am I missing something that people can enlighten me on? The only reasons I've seen are battery life and durability, neither of these matter much to me since I have a solar charger and a life proof case.

I have an Oregon 600 and must admit that I'm struggling with additional maps at present. I have downloaded the section of France that I shall be travelling and the micro SD indicates that there is 1.57 GB used on it, but the map is not listed on the map configuration and I can't see whether the map that I want is there or not. Beginning to wonder whether I should just avoid any caching while I'm there though it seems a wasted opportunity.

Similarly I have "sent" a number of French caches to my GPS from the Geocaching map, it confirms that they have been saved but they are not listed on the GPS caches.

I used Looking4cache app in pro version. It provides an offline map feature. It was a bit tricky to work out how to get an offline map, but the author provides a HowTo and promises to make it easier in future versions. All in all it worked very well. Loaded map and cache data before vacation, did on-the-spot log entries which were transferred then when free WiFi access was enabled (or could have waited until coming home). Simply perfect!

PS: to be sure not to get a large bill, switch off "data roaming".

Hi

We live in France and we Geocache with both GPS units and iphone. The kids use the GPS and I favour the iphone (mainly for the detailed satelite imagery). There are lots of free wifi hotspots here in France. I have never had problems finding one when we are out caching in a new area (Quick, McDonalds, Flunch etc. all offer free wifi). You can even park in the car park and use it from there to download your PQs and maps for the day ahead. And now that the official app allows a "live search" for nearby caches directly from the map screen we are using this in stead of PQs. You can save all the data for the day ahead in a few seconds.

There are also some good deals on PAYG sim cards which could be useful if you go to a remote area of France. PM me if you need further advice.

Having now been in Franc for a few days (near Geneva), and with wi-fi where I am staying, I have found it working very well to save caches to my iphone for offline use. With data roaming turned off, I ams till able to then find the caches without problem and much easier than with the GPS and OSM map.

Not sure now why I bought the GPS!