Fakers and Whiners

Founden

Let me guess, they asked you "Did you CITO?". I've seen 4 or 5 minor drama incidents over the years regarding "garbage near Ground Zero" logs, and apparently the CO's natural retort is, Well, did you CITO? :rolleyes:

In far too many cases my reply would be that I couldn't afford to call in the 30 yard roll-off dumpster to hold it all.

I think in one of the cases, the logger did come back with something along those lines. :laughing:

Didja ever find any caches that used common garbage in the woods as "cover"? Off the top of my head, I've found 2 under discarded sheet metal (make sure that tetnus shot is up do date), 2 under plywood, and an ammo box under a rusted hubcap.

I have found at least 15 caches in the desert that were in discarded tires.

Didja ever find any caches that used common garbage in the woods as "cover"? Off the top of my head, I've found 2 under discarded sheet metal (make sure that tetnus shot is up do date), 2 under plywood, and an ammo box under a rusted hubcap.

Yes. I tried to be curteous in my log entry. But I also gave the CO warning that this isn't perhaps the best thing, hiding a cache in a roll of discarded fence wire in a trashy area in the woods next to a town park -- the area where all of the old "stuff" was thrown and pushed when the area was cleared to be a town park. The small wooded area was saturated with old junk that you could step on and run into your foot.

In the summertime it was even worse, because thick vines grew up around the junk. When I gave up on it last summer, I foolishly went back in the winter and found it. Foolish because I never should have bothered. It's one GC point that I am not proud of. It doesn't deserve to be found.

I'll admit, I snark, whine, complain, moan, grumble, and make otherwise inane comments in my logs. Almost always it is self depreciating and kicking myself about not being able to find a 5 gallon bucket in a empty parking lot with a neon sign saying hey stupid it is over here... The other times... the cache owner is purposely placing caches just to get under my skin (there are at least 2 firehydrants with my name attached to it). NEVER is the cache or owner the subject of the snark fest... regardless of quality of the cache... it got me out of the house - even if it just got me to autograph another stop sign.

I once got chastised on a cache page by somebody OTHER than the CO for posting a DNF that explained my distaste for caching near piles of garbage and homeless folks' shopping carts. Meh. Whatever.

Let me guess, they asked you "Did you CITO?". I've seen 4 or 5 minor drama incidents over the years regarding "garbage near Ground Zero" logs, and apparently the CO's natural retort is, Well, did you CITO? :rolleyes:

Ya gotta admit, it's a valid question. :P

We know there are hordes of hiders who think that some random spot along a road is a brilliant place to hide a cache. We also know that folks who litter look for similar locations. On occasion, these two groups are going to clash. I've only known a few cache owners who intentionally hide caches at or near trash piles. Personally, I don't hide caches along roads. Those are just not places I enjoy, so I feel no obligation to bring others to such places. But if I did, and my site was visited by a litterbug, with results so foul that a seeker complained about it in their log, my initial thought would be to ask them what steps they took to remedy the situation. Did they actually help out, or did they just whine about it?

Post script: In either case, I would respond and do my own CITO, probably followed by an archival.

Edited by Clan Riffster

As a newbie I am not quite sure of what I am doing yet, although I have found one cache (yipee), but common sense tells me that I wouldn't complain about not finding it and then logging it. I did have trouble a couple of days ago and asked the advice of the cache owner - not for the answers, just to let them know that if I was in the right place then the cache was missing. As many of you have said, why whine about it, just get out there and enjoy the walk, if you don't find it there is always another time. :laughing:

Only quoted you because you said you might accept a "go ahead and log it anyway". Nope. I didn't find it, and I will probably never be going back to Minnesota to try again. Oh, well. DNF,

Sure, sometimes I will accept the offer and sometimes I won't. In the past I was more interested in numbers but these days unless I particularly need the find for some statistical purpose I'll let it be.

These days I find that if the cache was in a nice enough place to revisit for the sake of the area then I will revisit it if I'm in the area again - one cache in PA took me eight attempts spanning four years before I found it, but I had other reasons to be in that part of PA loved the specific location so was happy to keep going back (and having found the cache still go back there regularly). If the cache wasn't in a nice area then it makes little difference whether it's a smiley or not, especially if it was a long way from home.

My son and I tried 12 different times to get a 3 stage multi - TWELVE TIMES!

Human/newbie error on all counts but still we tried multiple times. I even emailed the CO asking if maybe I'd done something wrong as I ended up in someone's backyard with the new cords (turns out the north was the wrong north) once problem fixed, we returned 3 times to GZ and finally found it. I wouldn't have dreamed of logging it as found because we tried so hard to find it - there was no crater at GZ but there was plenty of snow but we plodded on until it was signed.

I once got chastised on a cache page by somebody OTHER than the CO for posting a DNF that explained my distaste for caching near piles of garbage and homeless folks' shopping carts. Meh. Whatever.

I took the high road and chose not to use the cache page as a forum type argument. I could have easily gotten sucked in with the cacher in question, she happens to be our local "caching expert" or whatever. Has sent me more than one email suggesting that I not make comments about bad coordinates because although said CO's cords are notoriously off, he's just trying to add some fun caches to the area. The suggestion made on the cache page (which is where she chose to indirectly lecture me on my DNF) was that I didn't like the location because I couldn't find it. "This is urban caching at it's best" was in there somewhere. If that's urban caching at it's best, it just reaffirms my dislike of urban caching :laughing: