Fakers and Whiners

Founden

There is a cacher in my area that constantly marks caches as "found" but in the log whines and complains about how hard he looked, how he spent money on gas, and he should get the smiley because he TRIED. And then marks it as found. This part I really don't care about so much, except his complaining causes confusion quite often. About 50% of his finds are basically him saying that clearly the cache is "lost" and he deserves a find for his efforts and then many times goes on to insult the owner of the cache. This will then cause owners to go and check caches that are actually perfectly fine. It will cause other cachers to assume it's actually lost. Is this just something that happens and nothing can be done with or is there a way to report this person?

Email contact@geocaching.com I would (on my caches) delete any found it logs that he says he didn't find the cache. I would also delete the abusive logs because, well they're abusive. And-this is what I personally would do,and I'll say it's not the right thing to do-just because I could I would delete any log that has anything other then found it or did not find it. Any whining, complaining would get deleted. I would quote that the cache pages are not forums....And I would also ignore any DNF from said user, unless it was accompanied by a photo showing a crater at GZ...

I would (on my caches) delete any found it logs that he says he didn't find the cache.

Yes, that would be OK. I might go check the cache log first, just in case.

Any whining, complaining would get deleted.

I guess the cacher in the OP's story is going way overboard. But cache logs are often terse, or pointing out something wrong about a cache, even beyond the CO's control. So if the log seems... not too bad... and especially if it is actually a Find, I might let it stand. I think I have done that a few times.

I would ignore him. If geocaching bothers him this much it's likely he will grow tired of geocaching and quit. I often will wait for a 2nd confirmation that a cache may be gone before checking, unless the finder provides a good description of where they looked. If I think it really is gone I would post a note after his 'Found It, Didn't Find It' explaining that the cache may be gone and I will check on it within a week or two. Usually within that time frame someone comes along that confirms whether it is gone or whether it's still there.

Edited by L0ne R

I would simply thank him/her for the entertainment.

+1

It takes multiple DNF's to keep me from seeking a cache or checking on my hides. The number of DNF's required depends on the difficulty of the hide. I get some perverse pleasure out of finding a cache that others could not.

There are people like this in all walks of life, and all kinds of people look for caches. It's inevitable that those worlds collide from time to time.

+1

It takes multiple DNF's to keep me from seeking a cache or checking on my hides. The number of DNF's required depends on the difficulty of the hide. I get some perverse pleasure out of finding a cache that others could not.

There are people like this in all walks of life, and all kinds of people look for caches. It's inevitable that those worlds collide from time to time.

+2 too!

Would Groundspeak ever actually get involved in something like this?

The impression I have is that they'd put it down to sticks and stones and just ignore it.

Fortunately I don't suffer this sort of problem much - at least not on my traditional hides.

If I do get a DNF on one of mine and it's not one of the more distant ones I might nip out and check it next day as part of a routine walk.

On the more distant ones I might wait for two or three DNF's and preferably DNF's by people who've been doing it for a while, before going out to check.

I think it's important to always log feedback, for the benefit of all. I see lots of cachers who follow up on NM's and DNF's but don't actually post feedback to the cache log - giving the appearance that nothing's been done / checked.

So I always feed back my findings, which most frequently are that the cache is exactly as it's supposed to be. At least then the DNF'er has the option to go back with some confidence for another try - if they so wish and everyone else can have some confidence that when they look for one of my caches it will be there, or I'll sort things out quickly.

Equally I think it is important to acknowledge useful and accurate feedback from both finders and DNF'ers - especially if it means that for much of the time I don't actually need to routinely check my caches because I know which ones need attention and which ones are doing fine B)

I might go a little more slowly if the DNF'er starts flinging insults but in truth I'm more concerned about making sure my caches are in good order for everyone else and for my own peace of mind that I've done my bit :)

There is a cacher in my area that constantly marks caches as "found" but in the log whines and complains about how hard he looked, how he spent money on gas, and he should get the smiley because he TRIED. And then marks it as found. This part I really don't care about so much, except his complaining causes confusion quite often. About 50% of his finds are basically him saying that clearly the cache is "lost" and he deserves a find for his efforts and then many times goes on to insult the owner of the cache. This will then cause owners to go and check caches that are actually perfectly fine. It will cause other cachers to assume it's actually lost. Is this just something that happens and nothing can be done with or is there a way to report this person?

If he didn't find it then it's up to the CO whether his attempts are good enough to claim the cache. If he's just griping and moaning about how he wasted the gas to drive out there then just delete the log, or write a note saying nobody is forcing him to drive anywhere and if he doesn't want to risk a DNF then not to bother driving in the first place.

If he has travelled some distance and the cache has clearly gone missing based on a detailed description then by all means let him claim a find. I've had a couple of COs tell me to log a find because I described the area in enough detail that it was clear to them the cache was lost and they said that based on where I had looked I would have found it had it only been there. (For caches near home in a nice area I'll revisit at a later date to claim it; if it's far enough away that I won't be back for a while I may take them up on the offer.)

If this cacher has any caches of their own you could always write similar logs on their caches except make proportionally less effort and see how they respond. You know, you'd spent so long looking at the maps planning a route and your logistics for the day that although you never actually got off your backside you expended a lot of time and effort planning the route so you should get the smiley.

I don't understand...

So, he complains about using gas to go to cache sites. Complains about spending time looking for a cache. Complains about difficult hides.

I have to ask. Why DOES he geocache? I mean...that's what it's all about. Going out and spending time enjoying the hunt, easy or difficult. If no part of geocaching is enjoyable to him, it seems like he needs a different hobby. Maybe something less challenging...like cross-stitching or something.

Edited by J Grouchy

Kind of reminds me of this 'snivel log':

:) Found it

I'm was disappointed to read in the log book that the previous cacher did not swap equally. After enduring such an unpleasant trek, a trackable item would have been a satisfactory reward. :( TRADE UP OR TRADE EQUALLY, PEOPLE! Don't take a trackable if you don't have one you are willing to leave in its place.

The posters caching buddy posted a similar log.

I'll admit that this was a bit of a bushwhack, but my eight year olds had no problem doing it.

It seems the world is full of people waiting to be offended.

I don't understand...

So, he complains about using gas to go to cache sites. Complains about spending time looking for a cache. Complains about difficult hides.

I have to ask. Why DOES he geocache? I mean...that's what it's all about. Going out and spending time enjoying the hunt, easy or difficult. If no part of geocaching is enjoyable to him, it seems like he needs a different hobby. Maybe something less challenging...like cross-stitching or something.

I have to laugh..... and all this coming from you - person named 'Grouchy' :laughing:

Some people are just miserable no matter what they do. That's been and always will be their way of life. It's a shame, they could probably really enjoy life better if they could figure out how to get themselves out of the grouch pit. They wouldn't enjoy cross-stitching either - they'd complain about the comfort of the needle or it should be bigger or smaller. They'd complain about the design and/or fabric... (I have no idea, never cross stitched in my life). :unsure:

I don't understand...

I have to laugh..... and all this coming from you - person named 'Grouchy' :laughing:

Some people are just miserable no matter what they do. That's been and always will be their way of life. It's a shame, they could probably really enjoy life better if they could figure out how to get themselves out of the grouch pit. They wouldn't enjoy cross-stitching either - they'd complain about the comfort of the needle or it should be bigger or smaller. They'd complain about the design and/or fabric... (I have no idea, never cross stitched in my life). :unsure:

I'm grouchy about many things (though in truth that is not the origin of the nickname)...but geocaching is actually something that keeps that at bay. I find any and all caches worthwhile to SOME degree (though, admittedly, the LPCs and guardrail caches rank very low and the only charge I get from those is the necessity for stealth and seeing one more smilie appear in my vicinity on the map).

I hate to log a DNF and if I do I tend to blame myself in the log, and would have visited the site a number of times, I am more likely to do it on a larger cache than a small one. The last one I logged I made a bit of a joke about the cache as I knew it was a well camouflaged one, that the title gave a clue to what it was as in what sort of animal might take it, so I suggested said animal had taken it or I needed my eyes testing, but I had search the area 6 or more times and spend well over 3 hour to try and find it. The CO confirmed it was missing just wished I had logged the issue sooner, I also felt really bad as I also logged another one of his as NM as I happened to look at where it had been, in plain sight but you would not think anything of it.

For the entertainment value alone, I would egg him on. Go out and log a find on each cache the day after he logged his found it=DNF, then taunt him mercilessly. Of course, I am a fundamentally cruel person.

I actually plan on doing this today. 3-4 of his fake-finds are in a parking lot near my voice teacher. So today I plan on finding them and letting him know about it. And that's the most pathetic part. These appear to be caches in his neighborhood. And they are just park and grabs. The kinds of caches that take at most 5 minutes to find.

Like I said, I don't care much except that he's been rude and he's caused actual confusion. Other than that it was pretty fun to go through his logs last night.

I don't understand...

Boy, you beat me on this reply. I've been reading through everything and this is the first thing I thought.

:) Whiney Found it

"I just love to hate this hobby. Thank you for giving me a reason to love to hate it. I can't think of another hobby that I'd love to hate even more."

If he has travelled some distance and the cache has clearly gone missing based on a detailed description then by all means let him claim a find. I've had a couple of COs tell me to log a find because I described the area in enough detail that it was clear to them the cache was lost and they said that based on where I had looked I would have found it had it only been there. (For caches near home in a nice area I'll revisit at a later date to claim it; if it's far enough away that I won't be back for a while I may take them up on the offer.)

Some people say that I can be a tad grumpy at times... And I will say what I think of the cache and location. "Rats bigger than many dogs! "Trashy area. Couldn't you find a better place to hide a cache?" Things like that. But that's for a very low number of caches. "Homeless person's tent still there. Didn't bother looking."

But! If I didn't find the cache, I will post a DNF. I will not claim a find on something I did not find. No matter how far from home it is. I've got DNFs in Iowa, Florida, and Newfoundland (among other places far from home.)

The subject cacher does seem to be a bit grumpy, and entitled. But that is certainly no reason for the insults that others are using to describe him/her. That is dastardly, and uncalled-for! Let him/her live in his/her own world. Delete incorrect "Found it" logs. (Surprising how few COs actually do that.)

I've been enjoying Geocaching for almost nine years. Almost 4500 finds and 100 hides. If you don't like my hides, that's your prerogative. But I will not insult you for expressing your feelings. And I will tell you what I think of your hides. (Usually includes "Thanks".)

Only quoted you because you said you might accept a "go ahead and log it anyway". Nope. I didn't find it, and I will probably never be going back to Minnesota to try again. Oh, well. DNF,

I'm was disappointed to read in the log book that the previous cacher did not swap equally. After enduring such an unpleasant trek, a trackable item would have been a satisfactory reward. :( TRADE UP OR TRADE EQUALLY, PEOPLE! Don't take a trackable if you don't have one you are willing to leave in its place.

Trade TBs eh? I wonder if this cacher owns a TB Prison too?

It seems the world is full of people waiting to be offended.

There sure are lots of them.

+1

+2 too!

+3 lol, I found a cache this past weekend that had 4 DNF's not found in over a year... Walked right up to it and just smiled.... lol :D

Some people say that I can be a tad grumpy at times... And I will say what I think of the cache and location. "Rats bigger than many dogs! "Trashy area. Couldn't you find a better place to hide a cache?" Things like that. But that's for a very low number of caches. "Homeless person's tent still there. Didn't bother looking."

But! If I didn't find the cache, I will post a DNF.

This is what I was thinking. I haven't seen the exact logs of the person in question, but any log which mentions any displeasure with the caching experience can be seen by others as "whining". Whether a found or a DNF.

But logging a find when they didn't find because they "tried" is obviously not right.

Here is a log on my 3rd DNF on a cache I found difficult:

This time no problem with stage 2 (where I failed twice before) - don't know how I missed it. But spent 2 hours wallowing in the mud at the final location with no joy. I know I was in the right area, as I recognised the location in (previous finders) photo.

Time for me to move on. I guess this one is not to be for me.

The cache owner responded with a note on the cache page addressed to me:

Clearly this is one for those who enjoy the challenge of crosswords and searching rather than simply racking up numbers

Now by the time of my 3rd DNF (and knee deep mud) I was a bit frustrated. I can see how my log could be interpreted as "whining". But I didn't say anything offensive, and I felt the owners response was out of line.

Maybe with the logs of the cacher in question here it is clear cut.. but my point is there is a fine line between an honest log which says "I didn't really enjoy this" and "whining".

So yes, delete bogus found logs. But also let people say what they feel about the caching experience (as long as they are not being offensive).

Maybe with the logs of the cacher in question here it is clear cut.. but my point is there is a fine line between an honest log which says "I didn't really enjoy this" and "whining".

So yes, delete bogus found logs. But also let people say what they feel about the caching experience (as long as they are not being offensive).

Couldn't agree more B)

This is the logging style I aim for - honest without being rude*.

If GZ is a dog toilet with broken glass, don't expect me to bite my tongue - I am going to write candidly about my experience, if only as guidance for those who might come along after me.

And I fully accept that GZ might have been beautiful when the cache was placed and that its current state is no fault whatsoever of the cache owner - but I also think that any responsible cache owner would like to know if their GZ has become a dump - although there are those who don't want to know and make that very clear, but I don't let that affect my logs :P

*edit - of course those many caches which deserve praise get that, rather than just not being rude :lol:

Edited by Team Microdot

This is what I was thinking. I haven't seen the exact logs of the person in question, but any log which mentions any displeasure with the caching experience can be seen by others as "whining". Whether a found or a DNF.

But logging a find when they didn't find because they "tried" is obviously not right.

This time no problem with stage 2 (where I failed twice before) - don't know how I missed it. But spent 2 hours wallowing in the mud at the final location with no joy. I know I was in the right area, as I recognised the location in (previous finders) photo.

Clearly this is one for those who enjoy the challenge of crosswords and searching rather than simply racking up numbers

Now by the time of my 3rd DNF (and knee deep mud) I was a bit frustrated. I can see how my log could be interpreted as "whining". But I didn't say anything offensive, and I felt the owners response was out of line.

IMO, you were not whining and your log did not warrant that response. You made it clear that you had spent many hours on that cache and you simply can't find it. That doesn't sound like someone that is concerned with "simply racking up numbers".

I can see that CO comment as a compliment to you -- you had explained you returned a couple times (found stage two when you had failed twice before) and spent a couple hours at the final stage crawling in the mud and then admitted defeat without griping about it being too hard and you wasted gas and so on. So obviously you are one who enjoys the challenge of the search rather than simply adding more finds to your count. It's awful easy to misunderstand what someone means in writing since you don't have visual clues to tell whether they are being sincerely or sarcastic. People often quickly write a note without considering that so the note may convey something entirely different than they meant.

I can see that CO comment as a compliment to you -- you had explained you returned a couple times (found stage two when you had failed twice before) and spent a couple hours at the final stage crawling in the mud and then admitted defeat without griping about it being too hard and you wasted gas and so on. So obviously you are one who enjoys the challenge of the search rather than simply adding more finds to your count. It's awful easy to misunderstand what someone means in writing since you don't have visual clues to tell whether they are being sincerely or sarcastic. People often quickly write a note without considering that so the note may convey something entirely different than they meant.

It didn't show up in my cut and paste, but the comment from the owner had a "wink" smiley at the end... so sarcastic. Still your point is valid; the intent of what is said can be misread on both sides.

I never ever would claim a find for a cache I have not found. It can happen easily however to me that I end up with visiting caches that I do not enjoy for one or the other reason. I guess part of the problem is that what's geocaching is about is very different for different cachers. For me it is mainly about the hike/ bike ride and I do not enjoy at all tricky hides where searching for a container or fiddling around with a container to open it plays the key role. It is not always easy to recognize such caches beforehand.

Many disappointments have their origin in the fact that many caches offer something different than expected by the persons searching for them.

I have often mentioned in my logs that I do not enjoy easter egg hunts - I tend to mention this if the search for a cache ended up tedious for me and reminded me of a search for easter eggs that could be hidden anywhere. Some cachers enjoy such challenges - I rather enjoy the challenge of walking 30km in a row.

Cezanne

Many disappointments have their origin in the fact that many caches offer something different than expected by the persons searching for them.

Many logs on my caches are either neutral or complaints. Or a rubber-stamp style “I'm in your town today finding caches”. The occasional complimentary log makes my day! So my goal is to post positive comments, when at all possible.

IMO, you were not whining and your log did not warrant that response. You made it clear that you had spent many hours on that cache and you simply can't find it. That doesn't sound like someone that is concerned with "simply racking up numbers".

I agree. And you didn't mark it as a found just for your efforts. Not whining at all. Not every cache is for every person and that's cool. I think it's awesome you gave it 3 tries!

It didn't show up in my cut and paste, but the comment from the owner had a "wink" smiley at the end... so sarcastic. Still your point is valid; the intent of what is said can be misread on both sides.

This is why I always assume that any comment is friendly and positive, even when it's very, very hard to read it that way. Normally, like this case, it's not hard to do. In fact, I had to read this one over a couple times to even work out why you thought it was insulting. Even having a wink on it doesn't make it seem remotely negative to me, just a statement of fact, which you, yourself, have confirmed and, I dare say, would agree with: this isn't a cache for people only interested in the numbers. Another hint: always see a wink as friendly. He's winking because you know what he's talking about. Do you really use it when you're being sarcastic? Forgive me if I try to forget that possibility.

In rare cases, it can be tough to see any good in a comment, and then I fall back to thinking and reacting with "Ah, obviously he's joking" even when I know he isn't. That makes the world seem much nicer.

And, to go back to the subject of whining, these rosey glasses normally makes the kind of whining we're talking about just seem funny. To me, the only interesting point here is that they claimed a find for their "efforts". That's just sad. Happily, this is a self-correcting problem since someone having that little fun geocaching probably won't stick with it much longer. It makes you wonder how they got as many finds as they did, though.

I don't see the addition of of a "wink" as being sarcastic. I don't do smilies much so I may miss those nuances. I've also observed that most people do their snark about others behind their back although when it comes to a posting in a forum to or about someone you are not likely to ever meet, people tend to be a lot less polite than they would be when they are at arms length distance. Anyway, even with the wink I still don't see anything that means it was an insult -- or at least that it absolutely had to be an insult to you. Make your life easy and assume it was a compliment to you since it really could have been.

There is also the possibility that if snark was intended by that wink and the comment the CO posted that it was directed at those people who are the whiners and fakers. You know, those who post a found it because all that mud means they can't get to the cache and they did use up all that gas getting there after all so they deserve the smilie.

Edited by Scratch Ankle

I don't see the addition of of a "wink" as being sarcastic. I don't do smilies much so I may miss those nuances. I've also observed that most people do their snark about others behind their back although when it comes to a posting in a forum to or about someone you are not likely to ever meet, people tend to be a lot less polite than they would be when they are at arms length distance. Anyway, even with the wink I still don't see anything that means it was an insult -- or at least that it absolutely had to be an insult to you. Make your life easy and assume it was a compliment to you since it really could have been.

There is also the possibility that if snark was intended by that wink and the comment the CO posted that it was directed at those people who are the whiners and fakers. You know, those who post a found it because all that mud means they can't get to the cache and they did use up all that gas getting there after all so they deserve the smilie.

Since the reply came directly after a DNF where the cacher said he was giving up on the cache, and because of the content, I see it as accusing the cacher of being a numbers hunter. I've tried, but I just can read it any other way. If he wanted to say "thanks for trying, it is a tough cache", then that's what he should have said.

I'm not really snarky in these forums, or in any of my logs (I don't think), because I really enjoy this activity, but in real life, I'm one of the most sarcastic, snarky guys around. Cynics R Us. But I've read this over a number of times now, and I have to agree with Scratch Ankle and dprovan. To me, he was commending you for not taking the easy way out, and posting a find anyway, adding to your numbers. And as always, YMMV.

Somebody needs to grow a backbone and lean to walk upright.

Totally Off-Topic Alert: Hey AZcachemeister, is that your avatar trying to learn to walk upright?

Kokopelli is a 3-500 year old hunchback.

He keeps many amazing spells and incantations in his hump while melodiously playing his flute to ensure the fertility and prosperity of the tribes.

Kokopelli does not anger easily, but it is unwise to test him. :anibad:

+3 lol, I found a cache this past weekend that had 4 DNF's not found in over a year... Walked right up to it and just smiled.... lol :D

The DNFers were experienced cachers. My suspicion is that the cache owner replaced it, but did not post a log.

Even experienced cachers have DNF's once in awhile...... :)

3-4 of his fake-finds are in a parking lot

What?? Must be one big parking lot! Uhhh... I thought from the first post you were maybe... using "writers embellishment" as David Letterman used to say. Now I'd really like to see links to 3 or 4 fake finds in one parking lot. Oh, yeah, and his complaints about using a lot of gas to get to them. :lol:

3-4 of his fake-finds are in a parking lot

What?? Must be one big parking lot! Uhhh... I thought from the first post you were maybe... using "writers embellishment" as David Letterman used to say. Now I'd really like to see links to 3 or 4 fake finds in one parking lot. Oh, yeah, and his complaints about using a lot of gas to get to them. :lol:

In my neck of the woods parking lots are often interconnected. The place I am referring to has 4-5 parking lots that are all connected. Often you can float around and get 2-3-4 caches without having to go back into the street.

The DNFers were experienced cachers. My suspicion is that the cache owner replaced it, but did not post a log.

Even experienced cachers have DNF's once in awhile...... :)

Sometimes you can walk right up to a cache and just SEE it when others just never can find it. I looked for a cache once on 3 separate occasions, one time with my husband and daughter and we could never find it. I took my best girl friend and she found it in about 45 seconds.

I've only once logged a cache as found when it was missing, and only then as I'd logged a DNF, the CO had gone to check on it and had seen it was missing so was going to archive it, but said that if I sent in the co-ords (it was a puzzle cache) he'd let me log it as found. I didn't ask to log it, it was the CO that contacted me to give me permission. I was a newbie cacher at the time, and it was my nearest cache to home (still is).

I have a cache near me on my watch list. It's a D4, probably should be a D5, and has a whole string of DNFs by experienced cachers. I get the notifications through for it, and had to laugh recently when a newbie put a needs archived log on it. The CO posted a maintenance log by confirming it was still there.

I've only once logged a cache as found when it was missing, and only then as I'd logged a DNF, the CO had gone to check on it and had seen it was missing so was going to archive it, but said that if I sent in the co-ords (it was a puzzle cache) he'd let me log it as found. I didn't ask to log it, it was the CO that contacted me to give me permission. I was a newbie cacher at the time, and it was my nearest cache to home (still is).

I've had that happen once, too. In my case, it was a 9-stage multi, with part of a lock code in each stage. The CO archived it after I asked him for a hint, and he went to check it out and found it missing. He told me if I could tell him the lock codes (which I'd gotten from the 8 other stages), he'd let me log it as Found, since I'd done the hard part. The final was a tool box, which I would have certainly found if it had been there. (I'd described to him in detail where I had looked.) That is the only cache I've logged found without actually finding the log. There have been a few others where I could see the cache, but couldn't get to it. In those cases I wrote a note.

I once got chastised on a cache page by somebody OTHER than the CO for posting a DNF that explained my distaste for caching near piles of garbage and homeless folks' shopping carts. Meh. Whatever.

Let me guess, they asked you "Did you CITO?". I've seen 4 or 5 minor drama incidents over the years regarding "garbage near Ground Zero" logs, and apparently the CO's natural retort is, Well, did you CITO? :rolleyes:

Let me guess, they asked you "Did you CITO?". I've seen 4 or 5 minor drama incidents over the years regarding "garbage near Ground Zero" logs, and apparently the CO's natural retort is, Well, did you CITO? :rolleyes:

In far too many cases my reply would be that I couldn't afford to call in the 30 yard roll-off dumpster to hold it all.

In far too many cases my reply would be that I couldn't afford to call in the 30 yard roll-off dumpster to hold it all.

I think in one of the cases, the logger did come back with something along those lines. :laughing:

Didja ever find any caches that used common garbage in the woods as "cover"? Off the top of my head, I've found 2 under discarded sheet metal (make sure that tetnus shot is up do date), 2 under plywood, and an ammo box under a rusted hubcap.