How many Travel Bugs?

mikemtn

Is there any way to know how many Travel Bug Dog Tags there are out there? I have a few of them that are in the 200's, as in TB213. Does this mean this was the 213th one made? Is the number in the address line the number it was activated as? I have more questions than answers.

Is there any way to know how many Travel Bug Dog Tags there are out there? I have a few of them that are in the 200's, as in TB213. Does this mean this was the 213th one made? Is the number in the address line the number it was activated as? I have more questions than answers.

From what I've noticed there was some early collation in terms of the reference number, but not the tracking number.

With the addition of coins, jeeps, UFD, etc, you'd need a computer to tell you where something like TB1AW9X fell in the rotation.

Your TB214 has a URL of

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=532

Which would suggest that it's #532. I don't know for a fact that this is a correct inference; that 532 = trackable issue number, but I'd bet 20 quatloos that it is.

TB codes use both letters and number so it there would be TB21A, TB21B TB21C TB21D etc.

When I fool with the number based trackable URL I see trackables out to 5,000,000+

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5080000
The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in the system.

But 5070000 does exist; so somewhere between 5,070,000 and 5,080,000 tracking numbers have been issued.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Yes, I'd call that a really early TB.

The earliest TBs not in the hands of one of the Groundspeak founders belong to assorted Virginians who attended

a geocaching breakfast in Manassas VA where some were sold prior to their being publicly available and announced on geocaching.com.

The first TBs sold through the site to the general public (not to Lackeys) start at ~ #40.