Ultimate Geocaching Chariot?

Guest Choberiba

Now you've gone and done it! My good friend, Bubba Cache was quite content with his modest cachemobile

DSCN3604.gif

until you went and posted the picture of yours!

9520T_72040_G.jpg

Now he's done gone and taken out a second mortgage on his trailer and sold three of his coon dogs and four of his kids just to make a down payment on a used Auto Trac.

How are you going to sleep with that on your conscience?

Worldtraveler

When I'm doing some serious winter caching, nothing compares to my Tauntaun. Sure, it smells bad, and it might be a little rough on my back, but I can go anywhere I want! Not to mention the fact that each Tauntaun comes equipped with a Gastro - intestinally Utilized Temperature Sustainer (G.U.T.S.) which can prevent hypothermia in dire emergencies.

movie_sm.jpg

------------------------------

?You are your own worst food.?

Our first I! CacheMobile was an Audi, but it couldn't handle the pace.

We then got the i! GeoKart, fast as lightning but very low ground clearance.

Then we got the i! CacheRacer, which is ideal for track work.

On occasion we've hired an MR2 and got it bogged, and we've hired the biggest fattest Mercedes we could find, called it the i! CachenWagen and got it to 200km/h on German autobahns.

To the guy who was suggesting the NOTAR chopper, we tried to plant a cache with the i! GeoCopter, but we couldn't fit the SCUBA gear in!

The classiest we've had was the i! CacheLimo which we hired for an unusualinterstate caching expedition!

Ideology Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Cojones:

How about the new Honda Element?

http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Element<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have the same drivetrain in my 2002 CR-V.

I looked at the Element during my first maintenance visit, would be a killer cache-mobile

107436_1000.jpg

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

Is this what you're talking about....

27079_300.jpg

The base vehicle is a highly modified Mercedes Benz Unimog chassis with a custom body, completely new power plant, computer controlled suspension, and integrated electrical, hydraulics and electronics systems. Many of the onboard navigation, power, lighting, communications, computation and electro-optics systems were developed specifically for this vehicle.

Here are the specs

Well, I realize it's not as macho as some of the vehicles listed here, but I really like my 2002 Saturn Vue. I bought the one with the 6 cylinder engine and AWD. As a commuter, it gets around 18-19 mpg, more on the highway. It will pull a trailer pretty easily. And as long as you don't get too gnarly, it will take dirt fire roads OK. All in all, it's a very happy, practical car. Where it can't go, my mountain bike can. Where the bike can't go, my feet can. Anything cached where my feet can't go (relatively easily) is not only not very interesting to me, in fact, it annoyes me. icon_biggrin.gif

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Noel Coward (...particularly off of a short pier - The Annoyed Man's corollary)

Hey Gargoyle Here... when Team GargoMak wanders into the pines we usually use my 98 Honda CRV... Its not huge or mighty but it uses all four wheels and it loves mud. I have also found it to be small enough to fit down some trails where larger trucks can't go.

ok. i'll bite. where'd you get this thing? and how much $$ was it? i've seen them in europe, but never around here.

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/27079_300.jpg

The base vehicle is a highly modified Mercedes Benz Unimog chassis with a custom body, completely new power plant, computer controlled suspension, and integrated electrical, hydraulics and electronics systems. Many of the onboard navigation, power, lighting, communications, computation and electro-optics systems were developed specifically for this vehicle.

Here are the http://www.maximog.com/specs.html#BASICSPECS

quote:
Originally posted by Squatting Dog:

ok. i'll bite. where'd you get this thing? and how much $$ was it? i've seen them in europe, but never around here.

quote:

I wish that it was mine....

There's an article in the June 2003 Discover magazine on it. The owner won't tell how much it cost, but said it was $millions. It took 5 years to build. The owner, Brian Ferren, used to be the head of Disney's Imagineering research.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Here's one for those that always have the pubs mapped out in thier geocaching treks.

http://www.wonderfullywacky.com/baronbobonstool.jpg http://www.wonderfullywacky.com/barstoolracer44444444444.gif

[This message has been edited by Ttepee (edited 01 February 2002).]

Hah!! I love it! That'd be such fun! Where to get one, now?

icon_biggrin.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Squatting Dog:

quote:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish that it was mine....

There's an article in the June 2003 Discover magazine on it. The owner won't tell how much it cost, but said it was $millions. It took 5 years to build. The owner, Brian Ferren, used to be the head of Disney's Imagineering research.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well now I don't feel so inadequate!

"Refrain from talking to characters on the screen. Tests have proven they cannot hear you."

ok... I'll bite.. this is a future dream, but if I don't have my dreams, what do I have.

R1150GS Adventure

Of course it has to have the BMW Motorcycle Navigation unit. It's a Garmin StreetPilot III with base maps supplied by Navigation Technologies.

my $0.02

FINALLY!!! Something useful I can do with that Geography degree. :-D

Unfortunately Renegade Knights Bronco has problems so I have pressed my 96 Mazda 626 into service. Unfotunately this came with the large wheels and the low profile tires from the factory so anything even looking like a bump bottoms it out. May be fast on the highway but not fun for caching. I was thinking about trading it for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This may not be the ultimate caching vehicle but should do the job and keep the wife semi happy.

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

2002 Subaru Forester. Love it.

Great for New England winters. Comfortable & rides nice for work. Not too big for me...and hubby doesn't mind driving it either.

All the toys fit well on it or in it. Pulls the jetski just fine. Bike stands up inside since nice & tall. Canoe looks nice on top. icon_biggrin.gif

And my geocaching.com sticker looks cool on the rear window too. icon_biggrin.gif

My 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280se is pretty nice for urban caches and those just off of the paved road... but people in my area don't like paved roads so it is for sale icon_frown.gif ... or trade for a 4x4 icon_biggrin.gif

1.jpg

---------------------------

Phase 1: Collect Underpants, Phase 2: ???, Phase 3: Profit

On-road/Urban/I don't know where the heck it is caches:

kirei.jpg (should look familiar)

It's a Honda Civic Hybrid. Gets 42 mpg when I run the A/C (hasn't been cool enough yet to run it long-term without A/C).

For 4x4 caches, which I have done none of so far, we would use my husband's new 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon model, which is still "stock" for another week or two until he puts in something called a lift. In my area, 4x4-ing is strictly limited to posted areas and private property.

I use a Class B motorhome when I'm out caching. Those are basically van conversions with all the comforts of the bigger motorhomes. Mine includes beds, stove, Fridge, microwave, shower, heat, air conditioning, TV/VCR and a generator.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

I haven't gotten my new GPS yet, so I've only been on a few Caches with my parents, but right now, we have my mom's minivan, for urban, and places with more or less developed dirt roads. We have my dads special edition grand prix, which is specifically for urban/well maintained dirt roads. And my dad is also a car dealer, so if the need for something 4x4 comes up, I can get him to bring home a used blazer or with 4wd.

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.