Ultimate Geocaching Chariot?

Guest Choberiba

Once upon a time, I had an 80 Chevy Citation that I was convinced had off-road capability. It went *anywhere*!

Now I've got a 2000 Saturn SC2...the one with the carnivorous third door (doesn't hold itself open very well and will slam on you in a heartbeat). The door got one of my feet while I was removing my boots after an extended cache outing.

And you have no idea how badly I want a Wrangler....

I like the NIssan Frontier Crew Cab. How can you beat the bad-a$$ marketing ploys? Playing Stone Temple Pilots, having it smash through windows, copy on billboards saying that it woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or road, or whatever.

In the words of Bobby Brady, "It's dreamy!"

But here's where I think my GF thinks it gets weird:

I'd like to hook up a mini-kite or self-inflating ballon and load it into the payload of one of those model rockets.

Attach a suitable length of monofilament so, in dire cases of poor GPS-reception, you launch the rocket from the back of the truck, at it's apex, it activates the kite or ballon and now you hard wire the monofil (somehow) to your GPS.

Is this doable? Can I contract someone here to do it? icon_wink.gif

~Echo2000

I like the NIssan Frontier Crew Cab. How can you beat the bad-a$$ marketing ploys? Playing Stone Temple Pilots, having it smash through windows, copy on billboards saying that it woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or road, or whatever.

In the words of Bobby Brady, "It's dreamy!"

But here's where I think my GF thinks it gets weird:

I'd like to hook up a mini-kite or self-inflating ballon and load it into the payload of one of those model rockets.

Attach a suitable length of monofilament so, in dire cases of poor GPS-reception, you launch the rocket from the back of the truck, at it's apex, it activates the kite or ballon and now you hard wire the monofil (somehow) to your GPS.

Is this doable? Can I contract someone here to do it? icon_wink.gif

~Echo2000

The Unimog is awesome. I've been getting by in a 2001 Dakota 4wd. I have a 78 CJ5 I save for special caches. Any pickup will do, but keep your mt. bike in the back. If money isn't a factor, a parasail would be great in some areas. I don't know about Exterra's , aren't they an imitation Jeep? icon_biggrin.gif

The Unimog is awesome. I've been getting by in a 2001 Dakota 4wd. I have a 78 CJ5 I save for special caches. Any pickup will do, but keep your mt. bike in the back. If money isn't a factor, a parasail would be great in some areas. I don't know about Exterra's , aren't they an imitation Jeep? icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, in the ideal text I'd have three GeoCache mobiles

1) my trusty 1988 Raleigh mountain bike for the close by caches.

2) Something like a Honda Nighthawk 750cc for nice weather hunting for caches that are further away but near paved parking lots. Why I say this I don't know; I've never actually riden a motorcycle but would love to someday.

3) Some kind of 4X4 (Nissan Xterra perhaps?) for those caches that you know are going to be slogs.

[This message was edited by citrix_99301 on May 27, 2002 at 04:18 PM.]

I prefer my '97 Pathfinder. I can drive it to work, decent on the highway, and it is a very capable 4X4. Comfortably rugged!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!:eek:

[This message was edited by ChazC on May 31, 2002 at 07:23 PM.]

I prefer my '97 Pathfinder. I can drive it to work, decent on the highway, and it is a very capable 4X4. Comfortably rugged!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by ChazC on May 31, 2002 at 07:23 PM.]

Me: Is it wrong to want my next car to be a 4x4 just so I can do some of Tneigel's Caches?

My wife: ....blank look....

Me: Tneigel... typical cache is a 2.3 difficulty, 2.56 terrain, and is buried deep in the Pinelands? This doesn't count virtual caches he's placed of course...

My wife... blank looks, arms folded.

END OF CONVERSATION.

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

Me: Is it wrong to want my next car to be a 4x4 just so I can do some of Tneigel's Caches?

My wife: ....blank look....

Me: Tneigel... typical cache is a 2.3 difficulty, 2.56 terrain, and is buried deep in the Pinelands? This doesn't count virtual caches he's placed of course...

My wife... blank looks, arms folded.

END OF CONVERSATION.

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

"Saphire!" - 2001 Dodge Intrepid, Turbocharger, Mopar Talking Navigation System (and a handheld Mag 315!)

Ok so how did you get Mopar to ride along, read the map and tell you which way to turn and stuff? I heard he was a nice guy!

C-Troop

quote:
Originally posted by C-Troop:

quote:

"Saphire!" - 2001 Dodge Intrepid, Turbocharger, Mopar Talking Navigation System (and a handheld Mag 315!)

Ok so how did you get Mopar to ride along, read the map and tell you which way to turn and stuff? I heard he was a nice guy!

C-Troop

I think you were being funny? (Were you - no emoticon to show it...)

So, in case you were serious,here's my MOPAR talking Nav System: http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/grandcherokee/navigation.htm

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by C-Troop:

quote:

C-Troop

He promised me there was a pitcher of frozen margaritas waiting in the cache!

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Is that all it's going to take to get you and your Waverunner over to Allaire to finally sort out Melvin's? icon_smile.gif

Good to see you're back! Now, see if you can rekindle Macro's interest ...

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Is that all it's going to take to get you and your Waverunner over to Allaire to finally sort out Melvin's? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Allaire? Thats some multicache! I thought it started over in Cheesequake! BTW, I had the waverunner out last sunday for the very 1st time this year, and was almost up into cheesequake. Stopped in to visit friends who have a boat at Morgan Marina. They had a boat blow up at a dock nearby the day before. Morbid me wanted to check out the remains.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Allaire? Thats some multicache! I thought it started over in Cheesequake! BTW, I had the waverunner out last sunday for the very 1st time this year, and was almost up into cheesequake. Stopped in to visit friends who have a boat at Morgan Marina. They had a boat blow up at a dock nearby the day before. Morbid me wanted to check out the remains.

Here's my baby girl! I'll do easier caches with her, but here's a pic at the Silver Gyrations cache in p-town CA!! And another one with me and my baby boy. I also have my Jeep rubicon on order (3 more weeks till she comes in) because the rig thats in my icon picture does not know how to keep running

550.jpg

549.jpg

KURTULEAS

For those of you who want a Hummer, let me give you a word of advice: tires weigh well over 100 pounds. I worked at Death Valley awhile and got to ride in one of the few Park Service Hummers. The ranger promised me a ride if I would help change a tire. Four of us and lots of sweat later, and finally a changed tire. So NOT exactly the ideal cache vehicle unless you have grunt laborers! I used to drive a Jeep Wrangler, what a great cache vehicle, but it guzzled oil and only got 160 miles to the tank, so I moved into an affordable economy vehicle: A Honda CRV. No longer a true whomper, but I still take the dirt roads and snow with no hassels. Great for 99% of the caches, the rest, your own two legs are always the best vehicle!

elifish

The vehicle I use to get near caches is a 1993 Chevy suburban 4x4 1500. Its got a 35 gallon tank and it's the full size (not a yukon). Its got my Garmin GPS V mounted on the dash with the mount that came with the unit. I also got a 5.5 inch color LCD with a DVD/MP3/CD player and a Galaxy 959 CB. It's got it all. Global positioning, communication and entertainment.

DSCF0001.JPG

Sorry Jeep people, but the title of this discussion should be "Show a pic of your Xterra, or haven't you bought one yet?" Yes, my 2002 Xterra is the ultimate caching chariot. I originally bought it as a classy looking family car, then discovered the off road capabilities. Oh, and also discovered how much Jeep people whine about them... I have also taken my 1982 Yamaha Virago 750 out on a few caches.