Is there a FREE iPhone app?

Hi, I am completely new to this and therefor I'm reluctant to pay any money for something that I may not enjoy!

I have an iPhone 4s and would use that for finding caches but I have no idea how to do that and to be honest I'm losing the will to find any caches as I can't seem to find any useful information on using my iPhone for this purpose!

Any and all advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

The Groundspeak "Geocaching Intro" is free -- when I looked at it, it did not seem to have that much in common with other caching apps or offer you much control over the kinds of caches you seek. It identifies three nearby caches and can give you a basic sense of the game.

In addition to the free version app described in the post above, GeoBucket has a free (ad supported) app. In keeping with the limitations on Groundspeak's live API, it allows basic members to download full descriptions for 3 traditional caches every 24 hours and and 10,000 lite descriptions. As long as you are in cell phone range, you could get the full description on a web browser, so perhaps that would not be as much of a handicap as it first seems.

For that matter, I know people who have used the browser along with a mapping application (like google) to find caches on the iphone without a separate app. Some caches are probably better suited for this than others. They go to the cache page, use the google link (in the online maps section as you go down) to call up the mapping app and route to the cache. The satellite view might be most useful to identify where you are in relation to the cache, but once you are there you would need to pay close attention to the cache description, any hint, and some of the past logs.

The Iphone 4s should get you to the general area -- although there are limitations with it as well. To start with, pick caches that are rated as being larger containers or easier to find -- that will allow you to get used to the game and see how your 4s works with it.

Edited by geodarts

Thanks for the link to our INATN website, MissMaygen.

YvetteM88: As much as my brother Cumbyrocks offers some great advice in that post, I'm the iPhone user of the two of us - and you can't go past the full Geocaching app by Groundspeak. It is a little pricey but quite frankly it's also the easiest geo-app to use. I don't bother with anything else these days (despite the fact I own a proper handheld GPSr).

As for its accuracy: Some days the iPhone beats my Garmin Oregon hands down, especially under heabvy tree cover.

Edited by kjwx

I started with the free ground speak app (I say started with 3 finds I should rephrase that as I'm starting :P), it worked but was a little annoying with the caches it picked and found it was still showing ones that where alot further away (to the point I paid for the Groundspeak app while out hunting)

Its really easy to use and love it, do find the gps co-ordinates rather off and found it quite frustrating walking around in huge circles in a section of woods, but that is the only downside (and pretty sure that is the fact I have poor signal usually on my phone doesnt help)

I like Looking 4Cache but it didn't let me enter waypoints for multis. So I used it for a while and bought the official GC app about 2 weeks later.

Go to "waypoints" below the cache description, then click on the symbol in the right upper corner (pinpoint needle with a plus sign). Thats how you add own waypoints.

I used GeoBucket plus FreeGPS (for own waypoints). Since this year I use Looking4cache and really like it. First tested the free version, then upgraded to the pro, since I needed the offline map feature (and it worked well on vacation).

So, I. really can recommend L4C for the iPhone and iPad, even the free version unless you dont need the pro's offline map feature.

Hi, I use L4C free, but do not show me this multi cache. You do not know what could be wrong?

Are you a premium member (PM) with Groundspeak?

Other caches than traditionals and more than three full cache descriptions per day come only with a PM account, thats no restriction with L4C (or any other app). The Groundspeak online database simply doesnt batch deliver more data to non-premium members, a concept often misunderstood.

If you're PM you can set up your username and password in the user section of the L4C (free and pro) app, it will ask Groundspeak to validate and then you have full database access.

However, if you're no PM and you know the GC code (i.e. from the website) you still can simply search for any cache (unless it's "PM Only") with L4C: on the search screen tap on "Cache Code" instead on "Coordinates" which is default. then the cache data is shown and stored just like any other cache.

Have fun (and don't hesitate to ask).

Edited by BenOw