Geocachers, a question.

We use an etrex 10 and PN60 to geocache. We use the PN60 for driving directions as well. The maps in the PN60 are out of date, somewhat. Been thinking of getting a driving gps, such as the Garmin Nuvi 50LM to load caches and get the driving directions there then using the handhelds for the off-road stuff. Academy has the 50LM for 90 right now. Lifetime map updates. Sorta seems like a no brainer but I suspect I am missing something. I have never used a driving gps. I understand I can get the caches in the 50 as POIs if nothing else, using GSAK.

Am I missing something? Is this a valid idea?

Thanks

Am I missing something? Is this a valid idea?

Thanks

You can send a few choice GPX files, "send to GPS" directly. I think using GSAK, you can strip out all the excess cache data, to save memory. The car nav only sees the GPX file name and the coords. You'll need a way to conveniently match a cache to a POI. Maybe use cache number and name for the POI name.

One thing I've noticed is the car GPSr doesn't always know the ideal route to a cache, particularly in subdivisions. You end up in a cul-de-sac when the city park is on the other side. So I load one cache that will get me to the general area, then walk or drive the neighborhood. I've never needed a mass of caches on the car GPSr. Your mileage may vary. :anibad:

Be sure you can get POIs back off the GPSr. Garmin car GPSrs seem to accumulate POIs and it's tough to delete them later.

Edited by kunarion

Also... Delorme offers a map updating subscription if you wish to partake of that.

To this point, we haven't seen the necessity of using such for our older PN-40. Have noticed reconstruction of major roadways, but they generally still go in the same direction to the same place, so....

I think you will still notice "late" updating with the Lifetime Maps option in the Nuvi anyway, but it may be handy with longer-term temporary detours. Short-term detours probably would not show up, or would show up late (after the detour was nixed).

Overall cost factor just may be better using the Nuvi LM in conjunction with your Delorme. Simply use the Nuvi to get "close" to the cache, then have the Delorme take over from that point.

We don't have a problem with entering coordinates into a Nuvi as POI's. If you are using the GOTO, it is focused on that POI (coordinates).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
I think you will still notice "late" updating with the Lifetime Maps option in the Nuvi anyway, but it may be handy with longer-term temporary detours. Short-term detours probably would not show up, or would show up late (after the detour was nixed).

The only real value "Lifetime Maps" are for me, is preventing that extra popup on the Nuvi, "Your Maps Are Old, Buy More Maps". :rolleyes:

I have both a DeLorme PN-60 and an automotive GPS/NAV in the dash of my Jeep GC. There is very little overlap between them, even while traveling in the Jeep. I use the Jeep's unit for road routing for trips to unfamiliar urban places and I use the PN-60 for recording tracks and waypoints while driving through the back country.

If you are interested in traffic, make sure it gets traffic information in the place you live or a place you visit often. Traffic information is only broadcast some major cities. No sense in paying extra for it if you'll never get any traffic info.

I'm not familiar with the model you mention but I can tell you that we use a combination of an off-road and automotive GPS with great success. I use the 78S for actually finding the geocache. I have an older nüvi 760 automotive GPS. I use GSAK and a macro I downloaded from their macro library. It converts the caches in GSAK to a format that works GREAT on my 760. I get the full cache text, the hints, last logs, travel bug info, etc. It's formatted very nicely in multiple colors and is extremely easy to read and use. My wife loves it because she can get all the cache info in a very easy to access and use format.

I load up my PQ in GSAK and then run the macro. it makes a file that I then load into the 760 using POI loader. It's quick, easy, and great.

I'm not familiar with the model you mention but I can tell you that we use a combination of an off-road and automotive GPS with great success. I use the 78S for actually finding the geocache. I have an older nüvi 760 automotive GPS. I use GSAK and a macro I downloaded from their macro library. It converts the caches in GSAK to a format that works GREAT on my 760. I get the full cache text, the hints, last logs, travel bug info, etc. It's formatted very nicely in multiple colors and is extremely easy to read and use. My wife loves it because she can get all the cache info in a very easy to access and use format.

I load up my PQ in GSAK and then run the macro. it makes a file that I then load into the 760 using POI loader. It's quick, easy, and great.

Thanks, this is the type of information for which I am searching. As one is navigating does the auto gps show the various caches along your route?

We have a Nuvi2450LM. Great little unit and holds geocaches too!

Loading the Nuvi with geocaches is an 'art' - and I say that because there is probably multiple different ways of doing it. We used to use GSAK, POI Loader, & macro.

Lately.. my husband exports them directly into the NUVI with GSAK export POI function.

Using the macro/poi loader, the geocaches will show up on your route as you drive but you have to be in the furthest zoom level. We've noticed while using the export function lately, the geocache show up without being fully zoomed and the proximity alerts actually work (and can be annoying - GSAK has a setting for this).